The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Links to good GH1 videos

Rawfa

I've worked as a music video/advertising/short director for about 8 years and I can say that the day the Nikon D90 first arrived into the market was a landmark for the indie video world. Since then multiple dslr have this function and from what I've seen so far the GH1 is the best around.

Diane B

I agree that Mike's is very good. There is a GH1 group on Vimeo--rather than sort through them, I'll just post the link for the group.
http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1

I thought this one was of interest because it was shot for a specific purpose and done quickly--to use on the Sacramento Bee's website to accompany a story http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos/5860184

One of the nice things about following the GH1 groups is that you can see a variety of lenses and other accessories (plus software) used with the GH1.

Diane

D

ddk

Thanks for posting Terry, somewhat boring video but still good for a laugh, specially when you look at the fashion! While the GH1, Nikon and Canons are technological breakthroughs and open new artistic avenues for some, as we can see here they also herald a new era of mediocre recordings...

nostatic

Thanks for posting Terry, somewhat boring video but still good for a laugh, specially when you look at the fashion! While the GH1, Nikon and Canons are technological breakthroughs and open new artistic avenues for some, as we can see here they also herald a new era of mediocre recordings...
Sorry, but that era started with minicams, accelerated when they went digital, and erupted around 2005 as youtube grew exponentially. The "combocam" development just allows people to make higher rez mediocre recordings...now with lots of rack focus.

D

ddk

Sorry, but that era started with minicams, accelerated when they went digital, and erupted around 2005 as youtube grew exponentially. The "combocam" development just allows people to make higher rez mediocre recordings...now with lots of rack focus.
You have a point, just that most on YouTube don't have delusions of grandeur, I feel that the definition of art and artist is becoming looser with every advance in technology.

nostatic

You have a point, just that most on YouTube don't have delusions of grandeur, I feel that the definition of art and artist is becoming looser with every advance in technology.
Is that a bad thing?

Personally, I think that if more people are making art, they are likely spending less time just being couch potatoes. Everyone should endeavor to make art.

D

ddk

Is that a bad thing?
Personally, I think that if more people are making art, they are likely spending less time just being couch potatoes. Everyone should endeavor to make art.
Its neither good nor bad, just what is considered as art...

J

jKK

Hello

This video shows off the quality of the camera really nicely, as it is shot by someone with a good eye, and shows the 60p slow-motion nicely.
http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos/5033677

I think this camera is a big deal for video, not just for short DOF, but because it offers an affordable HD video camera that can use just about
any lens going, and can also shoot 60p [slow-motion].

Maybe 5 years ago the only thing we could use for this would be the Panasonic Varicam [which retailed at about £30k without lens] and that
camera has a much smaller image sensor ! [it is still in production]

-jkk

simonclivehughes

I've had the GH1 for a few weeks and recently spent a week on the Olympic Peninsula shooting mostly video with it. I will have a field report on my website probably later this weekend. I'm still struggling with post issues and editing so I won't have any video ready for a bit but the camera is a joy to use (with a few niggles).

BTW, some of the best examples of what the GH1 can do are on Philip Bloom's site:
http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/04/30/panasonic-lumix-gh1-first-impressions-and-first-footage/

Cheers,

Last edited:

Terry

I guess for me it is just new to look at how someone has chosen the edit the video, how they incorporate (or don't) still into the process and their choice of soundtrack. I guess this is all ground that is covered by people before and programs like iMovie have been around for a while for us novices. I just feel like video is easier to access....just harder to edit when tools like Final Cut Pro etc. get introduced.

simonclivehughes

I just feel like video is easier to access....just harder to edit when tools like Final Cut Pro etc. get introduced.
Terry,

Part of the issue I'm having is in pulling the video files into iMovie '09 for editing. I transferred about 130 10-second clips into iMovie which took about 2 hours, but then it began to create the thumbnails and the "Time remaining" just got silly. At 155 hour (and still climbing), I just terminated the program. I'm probably going to transcode using Neoscene (or Voltaic or Toast) and then use Final Cut Pro to do the editing. So much to learn... so little time!

Cheers,

D

ddk

I guess for me it is just new to look at how someone has chosen the edit the video, how they incorporate (or don't) still into the process and their choice of soundtrack. I guess this is all ground that is covered by people before and programs like iMovie have been around for a while for us novices. I just feel like video is easier to access....just harder to edit when tools like Final Cut Pro etc. get introduced.
Its like everything else, editing isn't really a biggie but shooting quality footage is the tough without experience, which is the camp that I'm in. In the end its a matter of educating oneself, the same way we went about still photography...

simonclivehughes

Its like everything else, editing isn't really a biggie but shooting quality footage is the tough without experience, which is the camp that I'm in. In the end its a matter of educating oneself, the same way we went about still photography...
David,

I'd have to say that quality editing is every bit an art as shooting quality footage is. Regardless of the length of a film, or the quality of the raw footage, the editing can make or break it.

Cheers,

D

ddk

David,

I'd have to say that quality editing is every bit an art as shooting quality footage is. Regardless of the length of a film, or the quality of the raw footage, the editing can make or break it.

Cheers,
Hi Simon,

I had an earlier conversation with Terry regarding video, I'm just talking about simple splicing and taping of home movies, nothing more. I'm sure that you're right about the difficulty of achieving any kind of real quality.

simonclivehughes

David,

On that I agree. I've dabbled with iMovie and it is astonishing how easy it is to do the "mechanics" of linear editing. Final Cut Studio allows a quantum leap more capability too.

If you're interested, I'd recommend checking out Walter Murch, an editing guru who's cut both sound and pictures on movies I'll guarantee you've seen. He's a very articulate man who has revolutionized editing and many other aspects of movie making.

Cheers,

D

ddk

Thanks Simon, I'll check him out. Right now video is only for family home movies, the GH1 with kit lens seems like the ideal travel companion, though things could change very quickly...