The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly E600

V

Vivek

No company is perfect but I am simply voicing my opinion that I don't understand their strategy.
Yes, that is perfectly understandable. I think they are just rebadging XX as YY with a lower price since XX did not sell well as they expected.

IMO, the (new) Olympus are clueless as to the market trend and the requirements. If they are market savvy, they would not be doing "a new model a month" type of deals.

Diane, Thanks for that new link. I would not be surprised to see an Olympus 599 or 599.003 but Terry's original link became defunct by the time I clicked it.

LisaR

How would you guys rank the Oly bodies in terms of features and IQ ...for anyone that has used or seen feedback on their lineup?

Brian Mosley

The thing I've noticed about Oly bodies, is that all of the significant controls and features are made available right down to the smallest/cheapest (not really entry level - just different form factor)

Some people used to other families of camera seem to struggle getting used to the Olympus menu system, but Oly users call them intuitive (I guess they're familiar with the family style)

The newer models, E-620/E-30 have micro adjustments to customise focusing for each lens (I haven't needed the feature for any of my lenses) which seems to be a highly regarded feature by some photographers.

Other than that, there's the Olympus colour that many like - and one of the best jpeg engines in any DSLR.

What's not to like? and with the new E-600 now even better value for money!

Kind Regards

Brian

LisaR

The thing I've noticed about Oly bodies, is that all of the significant controls and features are made available right down to the smallest/cheapest (not really entry level - just different form factor)

Some people used to other families of camera seem to struggle getting used to the Olympus menu system, but Oly users call them intuitive (because they're familiar with the family style)

The newer models, E-620/E-30 have micro adjustments to customise focusing for each lens (I haven't needed the feature for any of my lenses) which seems to be a highly regarded feature by some photographers.

Other than that, there's the Olympus colour that many like - and one of the best jpeg engines in any DSLR.

What's not to like? and with the new E-600 now even better value for money!

Kind Regards

Brian
would you rate the E30 or the E620 as the better option in terms of features, IQ and weight. I have been thinking of one of these two as an alternative to the G1 when I want faster FPS but was not sure if the E620 was enough of a departure from the G1 that I needed to step up to the E30. Also, is the E30 enough of an improvement to justify the cost and weight over the E620.

Brian Mosley

Hi Lisa, personally I prefer the smaller E-620 to the (more comfortable, but larger) E-30... it would be ideal if you could try both to be sure which you prefer.

Kind Regards

Brian

woodyspedden

But for me it is the M8 which sings and it will be in my kit a very long time (already 3 years). If there is an M9 I will buy it and keep the M8 as my backup kit with longer lens usage. In this era we don't talk about product cycles nearly so much as how well the product fits our now and future needs.

JMHO

Woody

P

pancasj

i think,
if olympus releases the E-600
probably, the E-620 will be discontinued, then replaced by a new model (w/ video capable)