Site Sponsors

Thread: Oly E600

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oly E600

OK, I seriously don't understand the Oly dslr lineup but here is another one....

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3991

If this is now the bottom of the lineup what about the 450 that wasn't launched that long ago. Wasn't there a 5 series recently, why a 600 with just a few less features than a 620?

Now, from everything I've read the E-P1 does a better job on dynamic range, higher ISO weaker AA filter than the E620 so will the 600 be more like the Pen or the 620? If the 600 is more like the Pen than the 620 I think I would be a bit annoyed at Oly for launching the 620 knowing they were using different tech for the Pen and then coming out with a 600...all speculation but just leaves me bewildered at their product strategy.
    Last edited by Terry; 30th August 2009 at 22:16.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Oly E600

When I see the features they have removed, it looks like a more, not less attractive camera than the E-620. Can I have an even cheaper E-599 please, with all the art filters removed?

To me, this looks like an excuse to lower the price. Competition is toughening up, with the rather attractive A550 just launched and the D5000 doing pretty well. In a few months, the K7 will probably fall enough in price to attack the E-620 at its original level. Then there's internal competition from the G1 and a future E-P2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Oly probably found the form factor of the E-620 worked better then the E-4x0 or E-5x0 and they wanted the rotating LCD. I hope it's using the new image processor they introduced in the E-P1.

I think Oly is just readjusting their product line and we'll probably have to wait for some new products to see how it's going to be arranged. Apple's product lines have also looked confusing at times until all the new products are released.

It may also mean that Oly is getting out of competing for the very bottom end market. The margins are normally pretty slim, so maybe that's a good thing.
    Charles - flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, if I were an Oly 620 owner, I would be annoyed that with a short time of launch the Pen had better tech and then they lower the price with the 600. Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't be surprised if the E-620 is replaced within a few months with a more advanced camera. With the E-600 launched, there's not really much point in buying the more expensive model, and production may already have stopped. Weather sealing, a grip that holds the large battery and the viewfinder from the E-30 would make the camera a strong competitor in this class.

It's a situation very similar to the Sony A850/900 btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    OK, I seriously don't understand the Oly dslr lineup but here is another one....

If this is now the bottom of the lineup what about the 450 that wasn't launched that long ago. Wasn't there a 5 series recently, why a 600 with just a few less features than a 620?
    450,520 'discontinued'.
    Sláinte

Robert.

PeterLeyssens

So, if I were an Oly 620 owner, I would be annoyed that with a short time of launch the Pen had better tech and then they lower the price with the 600. Nice.
    Hi,

I don't think that, as an E-620 owner, I'd be bothered too much by the Pen. For me, the µ43 and the 43 series are two different things but I happen to be able to use the 43 lenses on the Pen. The E-620 has a swivel LCD and an OVF, which some people consider a necessity.

What I find most weird is that Olympus launches 3 lines of cameras (E-x, E-4x0, E-5x0) and have some sort of consistent counting mechanism (E-1 followed by E-3 is similar to the OM-x counting, E-4/5x0 counting 400-410-420), but then they go completely bonkers, add an E-450, add another line that they start numbering backwards (E-620, then the E-620).

The good news is that it's just external appearances. As long as the cameras are good, who cares

Peter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter

My point about the Pen wasn't focused on the form factor and the different formats. It was that within a very short time after launch of the 620 Oly said that with the Pen they have found a way to use a much weaker AA filter and had a new processing engine. It was better at high ISO and dynamic range. Since they are using the same sensor in the micro 4/3 and 4/3 it seemed that they held the better tech and processing engine for the Pen. The 620 was dinged in reviews for a strong AA filter and some reviews show it with a limited DR.

From the Pen press release:

TruePic V image processor
    Olympus’ latest image processing engine. It automatically enhances important aspects of image quality including: colour reproduction (colour range, saturation and brightness), picture sharpness (reduced image noise, improved edge reproduction), as well as providing faster processing speeds. Furthermore, it supports Art Filters, HD movie quality recording, and high sensitivity shooting at up to ISO 6400 to enable unprecedented creative expression.

Now they have gone and added the 600 took out a couple features that probably don't matter to a lot of 620 users and drop the price. The new camera is using the old processing system again same that is used in the 620. I certainly don't trust at this point that the 600 would be long for this world before being superseded. The 450 lasted a whole 5 months from launch March 31 until August 31 !!!!

I know new models come out from manufacturers all the time but this seems pretty disjointed to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's important to remember that those who are the main market for these cameras, mostly don't have a clue about what we are discussing here. They check the cameras within their price bracket before they buy, if at all, and they check again the next time they buy, one or ten years later. They couldn't care less what came before or after or when that happened. Those of us who discuss these things on internet forums are just a bunch of train spotters with too much time on hour hands

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It's important to remember that those who are the main market for these cameras, mostly don't have a clue about what we are discussing here. They check the cameras within their price bracket before they buy, if at all, and they check again the next time they buy, one or ten years later. They couldn't care less what came before or after or when that happened. Those of us who discuss these things on internet forums are just a bunch of train spotters with too much time on hour hands
    Of course you are right... although I would like to believe the train spotter community is useful in pushing the companies for firmware improvements and other enhancements including lens needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course you are right... although I would like to believe the train spotter community is useful in pushing the companies for firmware improvements and other enhancements including lens needs.
    I believe we are, and I would be surprised if the most "qualified" forums aren't followed by the manufacturers, some of them anyway...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Before you extend your discussions, Joergen and Terry, check that link Terry posted.

Non existent product.

pancasj

E-600
    yes, fiction only i think

i just wondering, when will olympus release truepic-V based "true" DSLR

pancasj

an oly E-450 w/ truepic V engine
    uhhhh... very tempting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Before you extend your discussions, Joergen and Terry, check that link Terry posted.

Non existent product.
    Maybe a peek preview - it was there initially, I think it's (going to be) real.

I don't quite understand the angst Terry - were you considering buying an Oly DSLR? the E-600 looks like Olympus positioning to offer an E-620 body cam at an even lower price point... I note the emphasis of DSLR PDAF auto focus - maybe being positioned as a logical upgrade from the G1 for those frustrated by m4/3rds standard grade lenses?

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

Non existent product.
    Sorry,
    It was pulled a few hours after I posted. Here is a different link.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1251694801.html

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't appear to be non-existent.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1251694801.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Maybe a peek preview - it was there initially, I think it's (going to be) real.

I don't quite understand the angst Terry - were you considering buying an Oly DSLR? the E-600 looks like Olympus positioning to offer an E-620 body cam at an even lower price point... I note the emphasis of DSLR PDAF auto focus - maybe being positioned as a logical upgrade from the G1 for those frustrated by m4/3rds standard grade lenses?

Kind Regards

Brian
    No, Brian I am not considering an Oly dslr at this point in time. However, I posted a comment at DPReview recently about the 620 launching and then getting the Pen with TruePic V and weak AA filter so close behind and I got response back that said that Oly wouldn't break their users trust. From what I'm seeing I don't agree.
    I own the Pen and I want to see what Oly is doing in new developments. From what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed with their product launches and what tech they put in/take out of cameras and how quickly come back to back with models. As you know, I do buy and sell gear reasonably often and these product launches with very short lives isn't useful in that regard. If indeed the 450 is discontinued after a mere 5 months I think it is pretty lame. No company is perfect but I am simply voicing my opinion that I don't understand their strategy.

pancasj

$100 cheaper than E-620...
    really dissapointed, there is no "truepic v"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Terry - the E-P1 is an evolutionary step forward from the E-620, and the differences in lens IQ are what you really notice as a user.

I would always survey the market, choose the best camera for your needs at this moment in time and then enjoy a good period working with that camera... beyond the basic nature of the body (sensor resolution, dynamic range, colour quality and ergonomics) - the lens selection is by far the most important factor imho.

The useful thing about Olympus is that you have loads of choice now of new and 2nd user bodies - and the lens selection is superb.

As for body release strategy etc... that's all marketing stuff and doesn't impact a decision today as far as I can see.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No company is perfect but I am simply voicing my opinion that I don't understand their strategy.
    Yes, that is perfectly understandable. I think they are just rebadging XX as YY with a lower price since XX did not sell well as they expected.

IMO, the (new) Olympus are clueless as to the market trend and the requirements. If they are market savvy, they would not be doing "a new model a month" type of deals.

Diane, Thanks for that new link. I would not be surprised to see an Olympus 599 or 599.003 but Terry's original link became defunct by the time I clicked it.

Post Thanks / Like

How would you guys rank the Oly bodies in terms of features and IQ ...for anyone that has used or seen feedback on their lineup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The thing I've noticed about Oly bodies, is that all of the significant controls and features are made available right down to the smallest/cheapest (not really entry level - just different form factor)

Some people used to other families of camera seem to struggle getting used to the Olympus menu system, but Oly users call them intuitive (I guess they're familiar with the family style)

The newer models, E-620/E-30 have micro adjustments to customise focusing for each lens (I haven't needed the feature for any of my lenses) which seems to be a highly regarded feature by some photographers.

Other than that, there's the Olympus colour that many like - and one of the best jpeg engines in any DSLR.

What's not to like? and with the new E-600 now even better value for money!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    The thing I've noticed about Oly bodies, is that all of the significant controls and features are made available right down to the smallest/cheapest (not really entry level - just different form factor)

Some people used to other families of camera seem to struggle getting used to the Olympus menu system, but Oly users call them intuitive (because they're familiar with the family style)

The newer models, E-620/E-30 have micro adjustments to customise focusing for each lens (I haven't needed the feature for any of my lenses) which seems to be a highly regarded feature by some photographers.

Other than that, there's the Olympus colour that many like - and one of the best jpeg engines in any DSLR.

What's not to like? and with the new E-600 now even better value for money!

Kind Regards

Brian
    would you rate the E30 or the E620 as the better option in terms of features, IQ and weight. I have been thinking of one of these two as an alternative to the G1 when I want faster FPS but was not sure if the E620 was enough of a departure from the G1 that I needed to step up to the E30. Also, is the E30 enough of an improvement to justify the cost and weight over the E620.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lisa, personally I prefer the smaller E-620 to the (more comfortable, but larger) E-30... it would be ideal if you could try both to be sure which you prefer.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But for me it is the M8 which sings and it will be in my kit a very long time (already 3 years). If there is an M9 I will buy it and keep the M8 as my backup kit with longer lens usage. In this era we don't talk about product cycles nearly so much as how well the product fits our now and future needs.

JMHO

Woody

pancasj

i think,
    if olympus releases the E-600
    probably, the E-620 will be discontinued, then replaced by a new model (w/ video capable)