Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GF-1 specs announced...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GF-1 specs announced...

I shoot with the 9-18 on the G1 and the MA-1 adaptor--it AF, so I would expect that it does on the GF1.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Here is the lens list from the Panasonic site....I think you are OK with the 9-18

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...onnect/g1.html
    Hi Terry & Diane,

I'm aware of that list, however the list doesn't currently acknowledge the GF1 as a supported camera.

I suspect it will support the 9-18 and 70-300 since they work on my G1, but I would be alot more comfortable if they hadn't been left of the list I posted.

Don
    Last edited by slosync; 3rd September 2009 at 06:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slosync View Post
    Hi Terry & Diane,

I'm aware of that list, however the list doesn't currently acknowledge the GF1 as a supported camera.
    given that the camera is so hot off the press that its not even on shelves yet I can understand some tardiness in updating that list

given also reasonably lengthy experience in how software systems development go I just can't imagine a camera which looks and smells so much like a G1 that it would have an entirely different and unique focus and electronic communications system. They wouldn't be able to afford developent. Especially when you add that the micro4/3rds is intended to be interchangeable.

so I'd be floored if it wasn't 100% the same ... but I have been stunned before

Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm leaning toward the GF1 (was considering the GH1 for second--had ruled out the E-P1 since I sometimes need a viewfinder) and have Oly lenses too, I can't imagine that they won't be usable with AF. I'm guessing the setup is the same--same menus as my G1.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WANT.

(With either the EVF or a Voightlander 40mm VF.)
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Since I'm leaning toward the GF1 (was considering the GH1 for second--had ruled out the E-P1 since I sometimes need a viewfinder) and have Oly lenses too, I can't imagine that they won't be usable with AF. I'm guessing the setup is the same--same menus as my G1.

Diane
    Diane, I know what you are going through
    But since getting the E-P1 I've realized the importance of on-board image stabilization. I've posted a few images here that were hand held at 1/5s. This is very useful if I want to get the best out of my legacy lenses. This is the only barrier against me buying the GF1. But who cares, I'll buy it anyway.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    But who cares, I'll buy it anyway
    Keith
    Keith, I can't let that go wtihout a few

Diane

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure anyone seen this. EVF
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Am I wrong in thinking that one of Leica's big announcements next week will be a rebadged version of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that one of Leica's big announcements next week will be a rebadged version of this?
    From what I've seen on other sites, Leica's new camera appears to be a 4/3 format camera, not a m4/3. Should know more next week.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

GF-1....My Preciousssssss, we wants it yes we does!
    Ahem

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    say ... reading that I find this

The GF1 uses in-body optical image stabilising, for example, and
    that's interesting ... is that right? Because according to dpreview

and don't you love the flash

oh ... and Guy ... yes, had seen that, it was on dpreview

Last edited by pellicle; 3rd September 2009 at 10:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure on the IS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post

Now, if I understand all the Rube Goldberg struts and slots, this one just MIGHT do what the Digilux 2 (and 3) flash does.

Bounce....

Post Thanks / Like

so this is an improvement compared to t' G1? the GF 1...what happens when t' marketing boys get to design a camera...give them less and charge 'em more...

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Now, if I understand all the Rube Goldberg struts and slots, this one just MIGHT do what the Digilux 2 (and 3) flash does.
    The parallelogram linkage does appear similar -- and no more complicated, really. It just looks more complex because the swing arms are more skeletonized than they are on the older camera.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    so this is an improvement compared to t' G1? the GF 1...what happens when t' marketing boys get to design a camera...give them less and charge 'em more...
    They're giving them more smallerness. And in some circles, smallerness equals coolitude.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    They're giving them more smallerness. And in some circles, smallerness equals coolitude.
    Come on folks! I am eagerly waiting for the images that show the coolerness and the cuterness with various lenses plus the all important bag questions.

Time to shop.

I think a softly soft leather half case (in matching colors, of course) would be swell. I will wait for those to show up first and then take a look at the GF (there could be a GF-2 by that time. ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

say ... reading that I find this

that's interesting ... is that right? Because according to dpreview

oh ... and Guy ... yes, had seen that, it was on dpreview

That may have sealed it for me a flash and a EVF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need some cooltude in my life, bring this bad boy on. LOL

I'll wait for Leica announcement than I will start looking.

It has to be better than my G10 so that right there gets my vote. Raw processing maybe my limitation , I like C1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need some cooltude in my life, bring this bad boy on. LOL

I will keep an eye on the FS section.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Come on folks! I am eagerly waiting for the images that show the coolerness and the cuterness with various lenses plus the all important bag questions.

Time to shop.

I think a softly soft leather half case (in matching colors, of course) would be swell. I will wait for those to show up first and then take a look at the GF (there could be a GF-2 by that time. ).
    I always listen to Vivek, so when he suggested I get my camera bag from Hello Kitty, I went there - took me a while, but in the end I raised enough nerve to do it.
    Now he is suggesting I get a cute soft leather half case in matching colors, do I need to go to Luigi for that? I can't keep up with him

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

There you go....you've coined a word--

"smallerness"......I wouldn't change my G1 for this--but I am thinking seriously about adding it as a second body--and for use when I want to carry a slim little camera in my bag with the 20.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keith,

Sorry mate. I bought a pair of (brown and fairly nondescript - boring really) shoes that are comfortable to walk on for a few hours instead.

I also bought a monitor.

I think I got everything backwards...

meilicke

In the dpreview.com preview on page six, they say about the viewfinder "...but from a resolution point of view you're not going to be using it for fine focus checking". Now, since this has roughly the same resolution as the EP-1 screen, and I haven't heard anyone complain about checking focus with that screen, would it stand to reason that manually focusing using the viewfinder would not be all that bad? The viewfinder of the G1 is one of the few reasons I am still considering the G1 over the GF1.

I know, I know, no one has one yet, so how can we know?

Scott

Ranger 9

No need to wait, Panasonic has already got ya covered. Half cases, case fronts, straps, carry bags...

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by meilicke View Post
    In the dpreview.com preview on page six, they say about the viewfinder "...but from a resolution point of view you're not going to be using it for fine focus checking". Now, since this has roughly the same resolution as the EP-1 screen, and I haven't heard anyone complain about checking focus with that screen, would it stand to reason that manually focusing using the viewfinder would not be all that bad?
    I think the reviewer meant that the monitor wouldn't be as useful for "chimping" shots you'd taken to make sure they're in focus, rather than for manually focusing the lens.

For after-shot focus checking with such a low pixel count, you'd have to zoom in so far that you wouldn't be able to see much context.

Of course, usually you'd chimp your shots with the back LCD, which has a much higher pixel count. But I suppose if you were shooting swimsuit models on the beach, that might not be practical because of the sun. Anyone care to help me field-test this scenario?

Ranger 9

Re: There you go....you've coined a word--

"smallerness"......I wouldn't change my G1 for this--but I am thinking seriously about adding it as a second body--and for use when I want to carry a slim little camera in my bag with the 20.
    Diane
    You and me both, lady.

Also, I'll bet that for a while at least, the only way to get the 20 is going to be to buy one with a camera body.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No need to wait, ..has already got ya covered. Half cases, case fronts, straps, carry bags...
    Thanks. I will research that carefully to see if the optional hot shoe EVF is taken care of.

Might take a while though..

Would the GF accept generic batteries which are way cheaper and work better on the G1 (unless disabled by a software update)?

Also, I have not seen any hoods for the 20/1.7 or the 45mm lenses. Since there is no official hood for the 17/2.8, I guess we are in a time of naked primes.

But, there are always those snug fit leather half cases in matching colors to rejoice.
    Last edited by Vivek; 3rd September 2009 at 13:37.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reviewer meant that the monitor wouldn't be as useful for "chimping" shots you'd taken to make sure they're in focus, rather than for manually focusing the lens.

For after-shot focus checking with such a low pixel count, you'd have to zoom in so far that you wouldn't be able to see much context.

Of course, usually you'd chimp your shots with the back LCD, which has a much higher pixel count. But I suppose if you were shooting swimsuit models on the beach, that might not be practical because of the sun. Anyone care to help me field-test this scenario?
    That makes sense. I would expect to use the EVF for composition, manual focus with MF lenses primarily--I don't normally use the EVF to check focus--so, hopefully it will work for me when I need it. I plan to buy the EVF accessory if/when (notice that when ) I buy the GF1.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meilicke View Post
    In the dpreview.com preview on page six, they say about the viewfinder "...but from a resolution point of view you're not going to be using it for fine focus checking". Now, since this has roughly the same resolution as the EP-1 screen, and I haven't heard anyone complain about checking focus with that screen, would it stand to reason that manually focusing using the viewfinder would not be all that bad? The viewfinder of the G1 is one of the few reasons I am still considering the G1 over the GF1.
    It should be fine for critical focus checking when you use the magnification function, just like the LCDs. It will not be as clear and crisp as the G1 EVF when in normal viewing mode, that's all.

It's a compromise, of course, with the priority in mind that this camera is designed to be smaller and lighter than the G1/GH1. I'm sure the EVF will be perfectly useful for its primary function: to frame when making an exposure. It just won't be as wonderful as the G1's is. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

...Would the GF accept generic batteries which are way cheaper and work better on the G1 (unless disabled by a software update)?
    I doubt that Panasonic will change their attitude with respect to third-party batteries. I'm sure that the GF1 v1.0 firmware will prevent unauthorized batteries from functioning. At least it uses the same batteries as the G1/GH1 ... good system thinking.

Also, I have not seen any hoods for the 20/1.7 or the 45mm lenses. Since there is no official hood for the 17/2.8, I guess we are in a time of naked primes.
    According to the Panasonic USA online store, both lenses when purchased as accessories include "Lens Cap, Lens Hood, Lens Rear Cap, and Lens Storage Bag". The 20mm f/1.7 takes a 46mm threaded filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most likely not and my reason is it would be smaller and easier to just throw in a pocket and go. Myself that is all I am looking for but a little flash on board instead of carrying one like the Ep-1 and having the EVF appeals to me. But I am shooting a much larger format to shoot my real work and for me I am looking for a cooltude toy that can actually take a nice image. I like my G10 but the noise bugs me even at ISO 400. Hoping this is a little cleaner. I love having one of these on the workshops to shoot the people while i am hunkered down on a tripod waiting for my shot. This is pocket perfect.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love having one of these on the workshops to shoot the people while i am hunkered down on a tripod waiting for my shot. This is pocket perfect.
    Well it is going to be a close call but we could have one or two on the Oregon workshop.....depends on how fast Panny ships.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hope so. Saving my pennies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    It should be fine for critical focus checking when you use the magnification function, just like the LCDs. It will not be as clear and crisp as the G1 EVF when in normal viewing mode, that's all.

It's a compromise, of course, with the priority in mind that this camera is designed to be smaller and lighter than the G1/GH1. I'm sure the EVF will be perfectly useful for its primary function: to frame when making an exposure. It just won't be as wonderful as the G1's is. ;-)
    I can live with that I know for most of my shooting I will be using the G1, but I actually did enjoy carrying the G9 and using the LCD occasionally for casual shooting (just not results much--or the times I could not compose or focus). I anticipate sticking it in with the G1 in a small case as backup or carrying it by itself with maybe just the 20.

Didn't Terry--or someone--on one of the forums mention that it has a small carry case to attach to a strap?? I don't anticipate keeping it on the camera all the time--just for those times I just can't compose/focus--at least that's how I anticipate using it (I used a CV 35mm external VF for the G9--but with a zoom, it just wasn't that functional unless I shot with it as just a fixed lens cam). This will be a 'casual' camera as I see it now.

I've about come to the conclusion that its really (notice my rationalization ) a better deal to buy the GF1/20 than to buy the 20 separately. I know I'll carry the GF1 some--and I KNOW I'll use the 20 quite a bit on both cameras.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've about come to the conclusion that its really (notice my rationalization ) a better deal to buy the GF1/20 than to buy the 20 separately. I know I'll carry the GF1 some--and I KNOW I'll use the 20 quite a bit on both cameras.

Diane
    Classic !!!

I'm now looking for the info on the pouch ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ranger 9

The port for the EVF looks as if it might be some sort of standard connector (I think I've seen something similar on the bottom of Cisco VOIP phones.)

I wonder if some kind of extension cord might be a possibility...?

Imagine clipping the EVF on your glasses and carrying the camera around at waist level...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks--exactly what I wanted to know. Thus far I haven't found the EVF available for sale the places I've tried. Interesting that Panasonic.com doesn't offer it for sale, but.... Its definitely on my 'want' list.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks--exactly what I wanted to know. Thus far I haven't found the EVF available for sale the places I've tried. Interesting that Panasonic.com doesn't offer it for sale, but.... Its definitely on my 'want' list.

Diane
    Don't worry that it says "Not available at Panasonic" That status changes when they are going to get things in stock. The G1 said that for a while same the with the GH1 and some lenses (others have yet to surface). When I sign on through my corporate account I show a price which leads me to believe it will come but you might want to :sleep006::sleep006::sleep006: for a month or two

terry

Post Thanks / Like

ohh ... O ... Ohhhh ... it tilts tooo

now that's lovely ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    According to the Panasonic USA online store, both lenses when purchased as accessories include "Lens Cap, Lens Hood, Lens Rear Cap, and Lens Storage Bag".

Thanks for that info. I would like to see how they do, especially the 20/1.7. I know the AF isn't useful unless it is contrasty light.

The 20/1.7, etc lenses will be available outright on their own. How many cameras can they sell only as bundles?

I will keep an eye on the FS section here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure anyone seen this. EVF
    Guy, I did see it. But from what I've read I was wondering if it was about as good as the EVF in the Leica D2 (or perhaps a lot better) but not nearly as good as the superb EVF of the G1. Still ANY VF is better than NONE. And an articulating one...well...
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is what I am thinking as well at least framing is more my concern. When shooting quickly holding a camera away from you is not natural in feel. Having the camera at your eye is faster to shoot so if it just replicated the framing of the lens as only one thing it can do than it is a benefit

meilicke

Got it, makes sense, thanks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Guy, I did see it. But from what I've read I was wondering if it was about as good as the EVF in the Leica D2 (or perhaps a lot better) but not nearly as good as the superb EVF of the G1. Still ANY VF is better than NONE. And an articulating one...well...
    I would assume better than the D2. Certainly a much faster refresh rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The sample test images seem very noisy at higher ISOs and lacking more detail than the G1 which kind of surprises me.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    The sample test images seem very noisy at higher ISOs and lacking more detail than the G1 which kind of surprises me.
    Remember: v0.1 firmware on the preview/press release cameras.