The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 specs announced...

R

Ranger 9

I agree. I am still hoping for something with the G1 features, but with a more robust body. I'll wait to see what Leica comes up with next week. Hope it is not just another pimped up Panasonic P&S with a red dot.
Apparently (according to this thread) the latest rumor/leak calls for Leica's "X1" compact camera to have an APS-C-size sensor, rather than joining the Micro Four Thirds family.

I'm guessing Samsung NX guts in a Leica-assembled body -- "Solmsung"?

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

the thing is that I think its a different system almost completely from the 4/3rds. I view it that way. Certainly micro 4/3rds stuff won't work on the normal 4/3rds stuff...
Yes, I know. My plan would be to get rid of the E-420 and to reuse my FourThirds lenses on the new body. I could put those in a bag for when I need it, but carry just the body+pancake everywhere. Getting from standard FourThirds to µ43 does save some money, but the extras needed for the switch to a new system are still there. My main point is still that a simple body+pancake is quite a large purchase.

If the Leica APC compact rumour is true, that would be another option to think about. Probably also much more expensive. For me, the Ricoh line-up is also worth watching. And of course, µ43 evolutions...

Very interesting times in photography: now the rush for megapixels is over, the vendors are going back to photography features.

Peter.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea lot's of fun stuff coming out. Not sure what i want now but I do want something besides my G10 which my daughter has her eye on and I can be sandbagged pretty easily from her to give it up. But what about Dad. LOL

I will wait it out a couple more weeks. Like to have something new for the Oregon workshop to play with. Of course Terry has about 20 different 4/3rds camera now and she is coming to Oregon. may have to have a 4/3rds shoot off. LOL

slosync

I was reading through the GF1 specs and saw this list on DPReview of 43rds AF lens supported. I'm a little bummed that the Oly 9-18mm, 14-54mm swd and the 70-300mm aren't on the list. Especially the 9-18mm - DANG!

• Micro Four Thirds mount lenses
• Four Thirds mount lenses via adapter (DMW-MA1PP)
Autofocus only available with:
- Olympus Zuiko 25 F2.8 'Pancake'
- Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6
- Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6
- Panasonic Leica D Summilux 25mm F1.4 ASPH
- Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-50mm F3.8-5.6 ASPH. Mega OIS
- Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. Mega OIS

Hopefully it's an oversight.... Scroll down to the lens on this link.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090204panasonicdmcgf1.asp

Don

Last edited:

Terry

Here is the lens list from the Panasonic site....I think you are OK with the 9-18

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html

I was reading through the GF1 specs and saw this list on DPReview of 43rds AF lens supported. I'm a little bummed that the Oly 9-18mm, 14-54mm swd and the 70-300mm aren't on the list. Especially the 9-18mm - DANG!

• Micro Four Thirds mount lenses
• Four Thirds mount lenses via adapter (DMW-MA1PP)
Autofocus only available with:
- Olympus Zuiko 25 F2.8 'Pancake'
- Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6
- Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6
- Panasonic Leica D Summilux 25mm F1.4 ASPH
- Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-50mm F3.8-5.6 ASPH. Mega OIS
- Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. Mega OIS

Hopefully it's an oversight.... Scroll down to the lens on this link.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090204panasonicdmcgf1.asp

Don

Diane B

I shoot with the 9-18 on the G1 and the MA-1 adaptor--it AF, so I would expect that it does on the GF1.

Diane

slosync

Here is the lens list from the Panasonic site....I think you are OK with the 9-18

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html
Hi Terry & Diane,

I'm aware of that list, however the list doesn't currently acknowledge the GF1 as a supported camera.

I suspect it will support the 9-18 and 70-300 since they work on my G1, but I would be alot more comfortable if they hadn't been left of the list I posted.:confused:

Don

Last edited:

pellicle

Hi Terry & Diane,

I'm aware of that list, however the list doesn't currently acknowledge the GF1 as a supported camera.
given that the camera is so hot off the press that its not even on shelves yet I can understand some tardiness in updating that list

given also reasonably lengthy experience in how software systems development go I just can't imagine a camera which looks and smells so much like a G1 that it would have an entirely different and unique focus and electronic communications system. They wouldn't be able to afford developent. Especially when you add that the micro4/3rds is intended to be interchangeable.

so I'd be floored if it wasn't 100% the same ... but I have been stunned before

Diane B

Since I'm leaning toward the GF1 (was considering the GH1 for second--had ruled out the E-P1 since I sometimes need a viewfinder) and have Oly lenses too, I can't imagine that they won't be usable with AF. I'm guessing the setup is the same--same menus as my G1.

Diane

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Since I'm leaning toward the GF1 (was considering the GH1 for second--had ruled out the E-P1 since I sometimes need a viewfinder) and have Oly lenses too, I can't imagine that they won't be usable with AF. I'm guessing the setup is the same--same menus as my G1.

Diane
Diane, I know what you are going through :(
But since getting the E-P1 I've realized the importance of on-board image stabilization. I've posted a few images here that were hand held at 1/5s. This is very useful if I want to get the best out of my legacy lenses. This is the only barrier against me buying the GF1. But who cares, I'll buy it anyway.:deadhorse:

Keith