The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 specs announced...

Diane B

I think the reviewer meant that the monitor wouldn't be as useful for "chimping" shots you'd taken to make sure they're in focus, rather than for manually focusing the lens.

For after-shot focus checking with such a low pixel count, you'd have to zoom in so far that you wouldn't be able to see much context.

Of course, usually you'd chimp your shots with the back LCD, which has a much higher pixel count. But I suppose if you were shooting swimsuit models on the beach, that might not be practical because of the sun. Anyone care to help me field-test this scenario?
That makes sense. I would expect to use the EVF for composition, manual focus with MF lenses primarily--I don't normally use the EVF to check focus--so, hopefully it will work for me when I need it. I plan to buy the EVF accessory if/when (notice that when :ROTFL::ROTFL:) I buy the GF1.

Diane

Godfrey

In the dpreview.com preview on page six, they say about the viewfinder "...but from a resolution point of view you're not going to be using it for fine focus checking". Now, since this has roughly the same resolution as the EP-1 screen, and I haven't heard anyone complain about checking focus with that screen, would it stand to reason that manually focusing using the viewfinder would not be all that bad? The viewfinder of the G1 is one of the few reasons I am still considering the G1 over the GF1.
It should be fine for critical focus checking when you use the magnification function, just like the LCDs. It will not be as clear and crisp as the G1 EVF when in normal viewing mode, that's all.

It's a compromise, of course, with the priority in mind that this camera is designed to be smaller and lighter than the G1/GH1. I'm sure the EVF will be perfectly useful for its primary function: to frame when making an exposure. It just won't be as wonderful as the G1's is. ;-)

Godfrey

...Would the GF accept generic batteries which are way cheaper and work better on the G1 (unless disabled by a software update)?
I doubt that Panasonic will change their attitude with respect to third-party batteries. I'm sure that the GF1 v1.0 firmware will prevent unauthorized batteries from functioning. At least it uses the same batteries as the G1/GH1 ... good system thinking.

Also, I have not seen any hoods for the 20/1.7 or the 45mm lenses. Since there is no official hood for the 17/2.8, I guess we are in a time of naked primes.
According to the Panasonic USA online store, both lenses when purchased as accessories include "Lens Cap, Lens Hood, Lens Rear Cap, and Lens Storage Bag". The 20mm f/1.7 takes a 46mm threaded filter.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Most likely not and my reason is it would be smaller and easier to just throw in a pocket and go. Myself that is all I am looking for but a little flash on board instead of carrying one like the Ep-1 and having the EVF appeals to me. But I am shooting a much larger format to shoot my real work and for me I am looking for a cooltude toy that can actually take a nice image. I like my G10 but the noise bugs me even at ISO 400. Hoping this is a little cleaner. I love having one of these on the workshops to shoot the people while i am hunkered down on a tripod waiting for my shot. This is pocket perfect.

Terry

I love having one of these on the workshops to shoot the people while i am hunkered down on a tripod waiting for my shot. This is pocket perfect.
Well it is going to be a close call but we could have one or two on the Oregon workshop.....depends on how fast Panny ships. :thumbup:

Diane B

It should be fine for critical focus checking when you use the magnification function, just like the LCDs. It will not be as clear and crisp as the G1 EVF when in normal viewing mode, that's all.

It's a compromise, of course, with the priority in mind that this camera is designed to be smaller and lighter than the G1/GH1. I'm sure the EVF will be perfectly useful for its primary function: to frame when making an exposure. It just won't be as wonderful as the G1's is. ;-)
I can live with that :) I know for most of my shooting I will be using the G1, but I actually did enjoy carrying the G9 and using the LCD occasionally for casual shooting (just not results much--or the times I could not compose or focus). I anticipate sticking it in with the G1 in a small case as backup or carrying it by itself with maybe just the 20.

Didn't Terry--or someone--on one of the forums mention that it has a small carry case to attach to a strap?? I don't anticipate keeping it on the camera all the time--just for those times I just can't compose/focus--at least that's how I anticipate using it (I used a CV 35mm external VF for the G9--but with a zoom, it just wasn't that functional unless I shot with it as just a fixed lens cam). This will be a 'casual' camera as I see it now.

I've about come to the conclusion that its really (notice my rationalization :ROTFL:) a better deal to buy the GF1/20 than to buy the 20 separately. I know I'll carry the GF1 some--and I KNOW I'll use the 20 quite a bit on both cameras.

Diane

Terry

I've about come to the conclusion that its really (notice my rationalization :ROTFL:) a better deal to buy the GF1/20 than to buy the 20 separately. I know I'll carry the GF1 some--and I KNOW I'll use the 20 quite a bit on both cameras.

Diane
Classic !!! :clap:

I'm now looking for the info on the pouch ....

R

Ranger 9

The port for the EVF looks as if it might be some sort of standard connector (I think I've seen something similar on the bottom of Cisco VOIP phones.)

I wonder if some kind of extension cord might be a possibility...?

Imagine clipping the EVF on your glasses and carrying the camera around at waist level...

Terry

Thanks--exactly what I wanted to know. Thus far I haven't found the EVF available for sale the places I've tried. Interesting that Panasonic.com doesn't offer it for sale, but.... Its definitely on my 'want' list.

Diane
Don't worry that it says "Not available at Panasonic" That status changes when they are going to get things in stock. The G1 said that for a while same the with the GH1 and some lenses (others have yet to surface). When I sign on through my corporate account I show a price which leads me to believe it will come but you might want to :sleep006::sleep006::sleep006: for a month or two :ROTFL:

terry

V

Vivek

According to the Panasonic USA online store, both lenses when purchased as accessories include "Lens Cap, Lens Hood, Lens Rear Cap, and Lens Storage Bag".

Thanks for that info. I would like to see how they do, especially the 20/1.7. I know the AF isn't useful unless it is contrasty light.

The 20/1.7, etc lenses will be available outright on their own. How many cameras can they sell only as bundles?

I will keep an eye on the FS section here. :D

peterb

Not sure anyone seen this. EVF
Guy, I did see it. But from what I've read I was wondering if it was about as good as the EVF in the Leica D2 (or perhaps a lot better) but not nearly as good as the superb EVF of the G1. Still ANY VF is better than NONE. And an articulating one...well... :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That is what I am thinking as well at least framing is more my concern. When shooting quickly holding a camera away from you is not natural in feel. Having the camera at your eye is faster to shoot so if it just replicated the framing of the lens as only one thing it can do than it is a benefit

M

meilicke

I think the reviewer meant that the monitor wouldn't be as useful for "chimping" shots you'd taken to make sure they're in focus, rather than for manually focusing the lens.

For after-shot focus checking with such a low pixel count, you'd have to zoom in so far that you wouldn't be able to see much context.

Of course, usually you'd chimp your shots with the back LCD, which has a much higher pixel count. But I suppose if you were shooting swimsuit models on the beach, that might not be practical because of the sun. Anyone care to help me field-test this scenario?
Got it, makes sense, thanks.

Terry

Guy, I did see it. But from what I've read I was wondering if it was about as good as the EVF in the Leica D2 (or perhaps a lot better) but not nearly as good as the superb EVF of the G1. Still ANY VF is better than NONE. And an articulating one...well... :)
I would assume better than the D2. Certainly a much faster refresh rate.

barjohn

The sample test images seem very noisy at higher ISOs and lacking more detail than the G1 which kind of surprises me.