The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 who wil buy only the body?

C

ChrisJ

I'll second this one. I could only afford the body right now and the kit lens that comes with the G1 is a great performer. The 20mm is in no man's land from my point of view; Ah for the equivalent of a 35mm f/2 ...
Meanwhile I'm hoping someone comes up with an adapter for the little Pentax 110 lenses - the 18mm f/2.8 isn't bad at all and a GF1 with this miniature on the front is definitely a good inconspicuous street kit.
The only problem with the Pentax 110 lenses is they don't have a diaphram so you're using f2.8 all the time.

They do work very well (they would be perfect if you could stop them down as they are really good lenses), but in bright light I've actually gone higher than the 1/4000th of a second maximum speed and your not seeing the IQ at it's best.
I wonder if there is a way to put an aperture behind the lens?

To answer the question in this thread I would think that anyone who already has a G1 with associated lenses would prefer the GF1 as a body only. I know I would.

Chris

Last edited:

Terry

The only problem with the Pentax 110 lenses is they don't have a diaphram so you're using f2.8 all the time.

They do work very well (they would be perfect if you could stop them down as they are really good lenses), but in bright light you I've actually gone higher than the 1/4000th of a second maximum speed.

I wonder if there is a way to put an aperture behind the lens?

Chris
What about ND filters?

cap'n bill

The pricing of the body + lens compared with that of the separate items is a major factor. I could well see myself buying the kit then selling on either the GF1 body or my G1 body. I do fancy the 20mm prime. Of course we don't know how much inflated UK prices will be.

Still there seem to be a lot of other cameras being announced just now so I won't be making any rapid decisions. Maybe a M9???

V

Vivek

We can expect ~2 "new" bodies of m4/3rds every year while there will be fewer and fewer lenses (especially primes and even though they are plastic).

So, stock up on the lens and 46mm threaded accessories.

Hacker

It depends on when is the GF1 going to be available. I want a pancake lens, whether it is the Olympus 25f2.8, Pany 20f1.7 or 14f2.8. If I acquire one these lenses before I purchase the GF1, I will be interest in body only. Otherwise, I like to get the GF1 with the 20f1.7.
I'm switching to the Panasonic for the 45mm f/2.8 lens also. :toocool: