Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

  1. #1
    Bill Wilby
    Guest

    GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    As some of you will know I am a Canadian Panasonic dealer. I have placed my first order for the GF1 and am expecting stock mid Oct. I am having second thoughts on stocking the body only. My question, when considering the GF1 purchase are there people considering just the body without the 20 mm 1.7? Thanks for your thoughts on this, Bill Wilby

  2. #2
    Ranger 9
    Guest

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    I already own a G1 with the 14-45 and 45-200 lenses. Although both the GF1 and the 20/1.7 sound appealing, I have to watch my spending, so I'd rather spread out the purchases a bit.

    The 20/1.7 is something I'm sure I can use right away, so I'll probably get that as soon as I can spare the money. I'll probably want to hold off on committing to the GF1 until I can try one out (I want to see how good the add-on EVF is, among other things.)

    If I decide to get a GF1 later, I'll definitely want to buy it as body-only, since I'll already own both kit-lens options by then.

    So count me as one vote for body-only purchases! Thanks for asking.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    If I were working on your stock, at the beginning I would order extra 20mm lenses (for all the people you sold G1's to) and not worry as much about the body only GF1 option.

    Even those people who like to use legacy lenses and buy the GF1 for that purpose won't be able to deny that a 20mm f1.7 lens fully supported by auto-focus has appeal and I predict they would order the kit.
    Last edited by Terry; 5th September 2009 at 11:31.

  4. #4
    pnd1
    Guest

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    I agree with Terry, Bill. The 20mm f/1.7 lens fills the needed for fast glass for the G1/GH1/GF1 system. I think you will find that many will choose to buy the GF1 with that particular lens included. I also think that many will want the GF1 in black, if there is to be a choice of color in Canada.

  5. #5
    edslaughter
    Guest

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Another vote for the lens. I have ordered a kit. I _think_ I'll like the body, but if not (is the screen is too hard to use in bright mountain light when hiking) I will keep the lens to use with my G1 and sell the body. If I'm not alone in this strategy there may be bodies on the used market soon.

  6. #6
    nei1
    Guest

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Does anyone know where the white version will be sold?

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    The body only sounds like my choice.
    The 20mm is to long for me.
    I will try the Panny and within a week sell it or the E-P1.
    Which ever one I keep will sport the 17mm...

  8. #8
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: The body only sounds like my choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    The body only sounds like my choice.
    The 20mm is to long for me.
    I'll second this one. I could only afford the body right now and the kit lens that comes with the G1 is a great performer. The 20mm is in no man's land from my point of view; Ah for the equivalent of a 35mm f/2 ...
    Meanwhile I'm hoping someone comes up with an adapter for the little Pentax 110 lenses - the 18mm f/2.8 isn't bad at all and a GF1 with this miniature on the front is definitely a good inconspicuous street kit.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    I am a gear slut, so will be ordering the kit. How about the viewfinder? So far Panasonic USA only shows it on the site, not being able to preorder this as of yet.
    Joe

  10. #10
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    +1 for GF1 & 20mm plus finder.

  11. #11
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Bill,

    Do you have pricing yet?

    Cheers,

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    If I were working on your stock, at the beginning I would order extra 20mm lenses (for all the people you sold G1's to) and not worry as much about the body only GF1 option.

    Even those people who like to use legacy lenses and buy the GF1 for that purpose won't be able to deny that a 20mm f1.7 lens fully supported by auto-focus has appeal and I predict they would order the kit.
    Terry has got it right. I will buy the 20mm lens ahead of the camera (especially that the EVF doesn't seem available yet?)
    I have a G1 and an E-P1

    Keith

  13. #13
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Definitely with the 20mm lens. I already have the EP-1 and the 17mm lens, but the more than one stop gain is a bonus.

  14. #14
    Bill Wilby
    Guest

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Bill,

    Do you have pricing yet?

    Cheers,
    Simon, in Canadian dollars I will be able to sell the GF1 20 mm kit for 1050.00. The body only 800.00 and the 20 mm 1.7 for 479.00. The GF1 viewfinder at 189.00.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts please keep them coming. What I think I will do is cancel my body only GF1's and order more kits. I can always split the kit and sell the lens or body. One of the most important things for me is how usable the viewfinder will be. cheers Bill

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    with that pricing, it almost makes more sense to buy
    the kit, keep the 20mm lense for myself and sell
    the body!!

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wilby View Post
    Simon, in Canadian dollars I will be able to sell the GF1 20 mm kit for 1050.00. The body only 800.00 and the 20 mm 1.7 for 479.00. The GF1 viewfinder at 189.00.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts please keep them coming. What I think I will do is cancel my body only GF1's and order more kits. I can always split the kit and sell the lens or body. One of the most important things for me is how usable the viewfinder will be. cheers Bill
    Hmm, Panasonic Australia lists the GF1 20mm kit for AU$1649 and the cheapest local price I can find is AU$1499 -- that's about CA$1370! List price for the 20/1.7 is AU$799, which means it might have a street price around AU$726 (CA$673).

    At those prices, Bill, you might want to order some more GF1 20mm kits, some more 20mm lenses, and some more viewfinders for your Australian customers.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Will order the body plus the 20 mm. Ep1 or GF1, one will have to go. Unless Oly improves the AF with the firmware upgrade announced for Sept. 15, I'm afraid it might be the EP1.

  18. #18
    Senior Member back alley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the frozen north
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    i love the g1 so will be after the 20 on it's own.

  19. #19
    Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Texas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    112

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    If I were to buy one it would be body and view finder only, I've got enough good Leica, Zuiko, and Ziess glass not to bother with a Panosonic lens. But I don't see anything there that's more attractive to me than the GR-DII is now.

    Besides we need to see what the Leica X1 brings with it.

    "The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston


  20. #20
    Member slau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    It depends on when is the GF1 going to be available. I want a pancake lens, whether it is the Olympus 25f2.8, Pany 20f1.7 or 14f2.8. If I acquire one these lenses before I purchase the GF1, I will be interest in body only. Otherwise, I like to get the GF1 with the 20f1.7.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

  21. #21
    ChrisJ
    Guest

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    I'll second this one. I could only afford the body right now and the kit lens that comes with the G1 is a great performer. The 20mm is in no man's land from my point of view; Ah for the equivalent of a 35mm f/2 ...
    Meanwhile I'm hoping someone comes up with an adapter for the little Pentax 110 lenses - the 18mm f/2.8 isn't bad at all and a GF1 with this miniature on the front is definitely a good inconspicuous street kit.
    The only problem with the Pentax 110 lenses is they don't have a diaphram so you're using f2.8 all the time.

    They do work very well (they would be perfect if you could stop them down as they are really good lenses), but in bright light I've actually gone higher than the 1/4000th of a second maximum speed and your not seeing the IQ at it's best.
    I wonder if there is a way to put an aperture behind the lens?

    To answer the question in this thread I would think that anyone who already has a G1 with associated lenses would prefer the GF1 as a body only. I know I would.

    Chris
    Last edited by ChrisJ; 6th September 2009 at 08:01. Reason: Addition

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    The only problem with the Pentax 110 lenses is they don't have a diaphram so you're using f2.8 all the time.

    They do work very well (they would be perfect if you could stop them down as they are really good lenses), but in bright light you I've actually gone higher than the 1/4000th of a second maximum speed.

    I wonder if there is a way to put an aperture behind the lens?

    Chris
    What about ND filters?

  23. #23
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    What about ND filters?
    Solves the "too much light problem" but you are still stuck with an aperture of 2.8
    I would have thought that an adapter with a variable diaphragm in it should be possible.

    Keith

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    The pricing of the body + lens compared with that of the separate items is a major factor. I could well see myself buying the kit then selling on either the GF1 body or my G1 body. I do fancy the 20mm prime. Of course we don't know how much inflated UK prices will be.

    Still there seem to be a lot of other cameras being announced just now so I won't be making any rapid decisions. Maybe a M9???

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    We can expect ~2 "new" bodies of m4/3rds every year while there will be fewer and fewer lenses (especially primes and even though they are plastic).

    So, stock up on the lens and 46mm threaded accessories.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 who wil buy only the body?

    Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    It depends on when is the GF1 going to be available. I want a pancake lens, whether it is the Olympus 25f2.8, Pany 20f1.7 or 14f2.8. If I acquire one these lenses before I purchase the GF1, I will be interest in body only. Otherwise, I like to get the GF1 with the 20f1.7.
    I'm switching to the Panasonic for the 45mm f/2.8 lens also.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •