The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Testing the G1. Tips?

Rawfa

I'm giving the camera back after the trial. Nice camera. Better than the E-P1 in many ways. That being said I'm afraid I've picked my place among those who feel that at the moment micro 4/3 cannot really match a good DSLR. I like the concept and I fell it has lots of nice qualities but for me the IQ is closer to that of a REALLY good compact than of a good DSLR without really delivering the best from both worlds.

I'm yet to see a micro 4/3 camera that can deliver images like this:

Bare in mind these are simply jpeg files from the D90 quickly treated on PS.

Y.B.Hudson III

yehh...Looks like photoshop'd magic... don't see much lens signature left in those pics...hardly supporting evidence of optical or sensor quality... just saying...

Rawfa

I knew people were going to says this. There's no magic. All I did on PS was enhance the contrast and that's it. Which is WAY less than the "magic" I use to treat micro 4/3 images. BTW, I'm not here to convince anyone that my opinion is right or to be convinced. Thank God for diversity. I'm still a huge supporter of the format and what it represents...it's just not for me NOW (who knows what tomorrow will say).

Rawfa

That looks very good but it doesn't look like the same at all. To my eyes (again, it's a personal opinion) DSLRs have a way more organic film like feel to it. With micro 4/3 SOMETIMES you can come close using DOF, but in a wide open shots it's really visible. Again, I'm not saying it's bad. It's just not for me.

But never mind. I absolutely hate these types of discussions, how long they can go on for, and how stressful they are. Lets just say you (and A LOT of other people) feel one way about micro 4/3 and I (and A LOT of other people) feel a different way.

Last edited:

Y.B.Hudson III

s@me as what...are you smoking?

* eye suggest sum johnny w@Lker bLack labeL...

this is t' worLd wide web...3 mega pixxies cover t screen...your looking at Light images... not reflected images...

I feeL your pain...:)*

* Your right, Rawfa, they are not the same...My Bokeh's better than yours...hehehe...

Last edited:

Rawfa

No, my friend, I feel YOUR pain for having such a strong necessity of proving your self over something so pathetically trivial. So here's another personal opinion for you: if silly stuff like this makes you go off like this I really think you should start spending less money on photo equipment and more money on therapy. You have some serious issues. The next thing you know you’ll be pressing a gun to people’s heads on a bakery because they don’t like the same type of bread as you. Did you shoot that horse to death after you've photographed it?

V

Vivek

I think I have gone through many of your posts on this subject (ie m4/3rds image quality for display screens), to say this, Rafa.

A few of my observations (also based on my own experience):

1. Post processing does matter very much to get the best quality images from a G1 file. The as supplied routines (SilkyPix, for example) suck.

2. Without any "special" lenses, this format is pretty much dead.

3. Those who aren't used to (or do not want to get used) the revolutionary live view (Swivel TFT and EVF) feature will not appreciate the advantage of the G1.

BTW, I was quite surprised that YBH took to the G1 so strongly. AFAIK, he has slew of the most expensive Leica lenses that are out there and uses them for their strengths.

Some of YBH's horse photos can easily hang in major galleries. :thumbs:

It is one thing to talk about the likes and the dislikes of a piece of gear or a format but IMHO, it is better not to get personal on a photographer's abilities and such when you are faced with a contradictory opinion.

W

wblynch

I'm yet to see a micro 4/3 camera that can deliver images like this:

.... see photos above ...

Bare in mind these are simply jpeg files from the D90 quickly treated on PS.
It appears to me that the dslr photos presented above suffer from crushed blacks/shadows, some lens flare and very nervous bokeh. They may not be the best candidates to prove a D90 over a G1.

Not that they aren't enjoyable photos, just don't impress me as technically superior.

Thanks for posting them.

I have a lowly D50 with the 18-70 Nikkor that is fun but I haven't touched it since I received my G1 with 14-45.

After my first evaluative comparisons I've left the Nikon in the closet.