Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TLRs anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: TLRs anyone?

here's one from a Rollei 2.8 FX :-) (Al Balad, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)

Post Thanks / Like

The first time that I laid my eyes on mounted medium format transparenices and photographic prints made from medium format film, I was blown away. And these trannys and prints were made from a Rollieflex twin lens reflex selling for $200 at a camera fair. The prints and slides were on display on the same stall as examples of what this camera was capable of. Up to that point, I had been perfectly content with the 35mm slides exposed with my Canon FD lenses but they didn't compare with these larger images. Even though the Rollie prints were only about postcard size, they revealed a level of clarity and detail that I just wasn't getting with my 35mm images. From that point on, I said to myself: "Ive got to get a medium format camera!"

I did manage to pick up a cheapie Russian twin lens reflex from another camera fair for about $15. The ideal super cheap way to experiment with medium format. It had a little chip off the side - hence the discounted price. I also discovered that the shutter speeds were erratic - they were all over the place, never consistent. So the only thing that I could do with the camera was to use it for time exposures in my local city at night. I exposed one roll that way but examining the results under a loupe, the sharpness fell off quite noticeably away from the center of the image. Perhaps not the best quality lenses!

Sometime later, I bought a Koni Omega Rapid 6x7 rangefinder camera as a more serious MF cam. That was followed by a Yashica D twin lens reflex. I mainly use them for landscape photography.

I made two big prints (close to 20 x 30 inches) from both of those cameras and submitted them to an exhibition. The print from the Koni won Second Prize in it's category, and also sold. The print from the Yashica tlr didn't sell or win any prizes but got some nice comments from people. They were quite impressed with the quality. My brother, who saw the print, asked if it was shot on film or digital. When my sister first saw the print, she assumed that it was a poster that I had bought. Little did people know that the image in the print came from a camera that was manufactured during the 1950s and that I had bought for about US$30 on eBay. Quite ironic...most people submitting photos to this exhibition were using modern digital cameras. There was also a peoples vote in which the public could vote for their favourite work of art out of all the photographs, paintings and sculptures at the exhibition. About four or five people voted for my Koni print and a similar number of people voted for my Yashica print.

nacspics

This is my TLR and one of the most beautiful cameras of my collection.

Rolleicord I Art Deco

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Mamiya C22 and a C33, an 80/2.8 and 180/4.5 lens. The 80/2.8 has a stuck shutter (will not cock) and the 180/4.5 needs a CLA (looks like some junk on the rear element). Who should I send them to for cleaning and/or repairs?

These suckers are HEAVY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have a Mamiya TLR. I know Harry Fleenor is known for Rollei TLR repair. I did notice that KEH has expanded their repair department and are offering a 6 months warranty. You might want to check them out. I'd read some of the threads in the TLR forum at RFF and see if you can garner any info on Mamiya TLR repair.

Quote Originally Posted by durrIII View Post
    I have a Mamiya C22 and a C33, an 80/2.8 and 180/4.5 lens. The 80/2.8 has a stuck shutter (will not cock) and the 180/4.5 needs a CLA (looks like some junk on the rear element). Who should I send them to for cleaning and/or repairs?

These suckers are HEAVY!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

FIrst Rolleiflex . . . . . First Roll of film Ilford PANF Plus 50

Thomas Burke Monument ~ Volunteer Park ~ Seattle

Black Sun ~ Volunteer Park ~ Seattle

Volunteer Park Conservatory ~ Seattle

Processed at lab and had scanned then used NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 software for processing.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see these Dan. I've just sent my old Rollieflex 3.5F 75mm to Harry Fleenor for a CLA and bright screen fitting. I've had this camera for 25 (ish) years and can't remember the last time I used it!
    Can't wait for it's return!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

ReeRay, I picked up the same model Rolleiflex, a 3.5 with Zeiss Planar 75mm lens. Picked it up from B&H which had it listed as a type 4 and the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1969. It did come with a bright screen and is in excellent condition. Only a bit of discoloration displayed in the leather on the top of the camera. Two rolls of film through the camera and I need to work on focus and taking level shots.

Enjoying the experience and will admit I was influenced after viewing the Vivian Maier portfolios, http://www.vivianmaier.com/portfolios/ and article in the New York Times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations on the Rollie Dan.....and nice images! Reminds me that I haven't had my Mamiya TLR out for quite awhile. Look forward to seeing more of your Rollie shots. No snow there in Seattle I see.....wish I could same the same for Alaska. Record snow falls this winter.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gary, yes I will be putting a few rolls through the Rolleiflex during the next couple of weeks to work on improving my skills with this camera.

Hopefully you have plenty of heating fuel, coal or wood on hand for the weather you folks up there are experiencing. Certainly the town of Cordova, Alaska has been in the news with their record snowfalls and shortage of supplies. We have some snow in the mountains but bare streets down at sea level so far and to be honest I hope it stays that way. The city of Seattle is just not equipped to manage a snow storm.

A good thought and a prayer for you and your fellow Alaskan citizens that you all fair the winter well and make it into spring with good health.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whenever I think the 7 feet of snow we've had here in the Anchorage area is bad.....I just have to remember the poor folks in Cordova (18 feet) and Valdez (22 feet). Even here in Anchorage/Eagle River, we are on track for a record breaking snowfall season and our snowiest months are usually February and March. It's pretty, but I'm getting tired of shoveling it. This pic was taken on my front deck on Christmas Day.....we've received a couple feet of snow since then.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tug Boat West Point approaching the small lock

Tug Boat West Point entering the small lock

Tug Boat West Point in the small Ballard Lock

Rolleiflex f3.5 75mm Carl Zeiss Planar Lens with Ilford Pan F Plus ISO 50

Post Thanks / Like

Nice sequence Dan. Home process and scan or commercial?

Which ever they are very impressive. Lovely range of tones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan,
    I really like the tones, especially on the third. Very nice.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReeRay View Post
    Nice sequence Dan. Home process and scan or commercial?

Which ever they are very impressive. Lovely range of tones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Dan,
    I really like the tones, especially on the third. Very nice.

Thanks ReeRay and Cindy for your kind comments. I am enjoying the Rolleiflex quite a bit. Have you received your camera back from Harry Fleenor? I sent my Rolleiflex down to him this week for some work, I hope to keep it up and running longer than I last!

The roll of film was developed and scanned (high resolution) at 60 minute photo in Seattle. From a conversation with one of the staff it appears they will be shutting down within a year. The building is scheduled to be torn down and replaced in the upcoming year once the business leases run out. The owner has run the business for 28+ years but the business volumes do not appear to be able to justify a relocation to a new site.

There are only a few labs left in Seattle and sad to see a place that is reasonably priced and does quality work close down.

Competition is good in any business for the consumer. I enjoy giving business to the local merchants when I can and will look to continue to do so unless the cost or quality is a factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll echo the praise of Ray and Cindy for your photos Dan! Great to see this thread being kept alive. I really should get out there and take some more shots with my Mamiya TLR. Those Rolleiflexs are beautiful pieces of equipment....very tempting. A friend of mine here in Alaska just purchased a 3.5F model from KEH...I can't wait to see it.

Keep those images coming and I'll try to contribute a few here myself real soon.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Dan

Harry is still working on my Rollieflex so chomping at the bit am I!

Sad to hear of the lab closure. I guess their eventual demise is inevitable. As far as I can establish we have only one such Pro lab here in Thailand. Fortunately I have my Minolta MultiPro scanner to keep me alive.

Keep the images coming.

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently caught the Rolleiflex bug. What a joy they are to use. A couple from my first couple of rolls. Rolleiflex 3.5F II

Stairway to Heaven by BigHausen, on Flickr

Autumn in B&W by BigHausen, on Flickr

Auckland City by BigHausen, on Flickr
    David
    Auckland, NZ.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

the new French President shot with a rolleiflex
    Les coulisses du portrait officiel de Franois Hollande - LeMonde.fr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hausen, I couldn't pick a favorite because I really like all 3. Your compositions lead my eye right into the photo. Please keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    I have recently caught the Rolleiflex bug. What a joy they are to use. A couple from my first couple of rolls. Rolleiflex 3.5F II

Stairway to Heaven by BigHausen, on Flickr

Autumn in B&W by BigHausen, on Flickr

Auckland City by BigHausen, on Flickr
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cindy, I find composing in the square a very natural thing to do. A couple from this weekend past.

Sunrise Orewa Beach by BigHausen, on Flickr

Pricnces Wharf, Sunrise by BigHausen, on Flickr
    David
    Auckland, NZ.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Babysitter. Cambo TLR45. with the 150 lens pair. Aways a slight parallax problem because the camera had to be used sideways for verticals.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phenomenal "look", downstairs, but Cambo TLR45? Could you please enlighten me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Phenomenal "look", downstairs, but Cambo TLR45? Could you please enlighten me?
    Actually, CAMBO TWR54. Here it is on somebody else's page. with all the bits and pieces. Awkward for verticals, but with a press shutter and with a Grafmatic six-shot 4x5 back it was very fast. I had two backs and somebody loading but he could could never quite keep up. That was before Insta-load 4x5.
    Off track on TLRs- You had to have two identical Rolleis and an assistant loading for shooting people (like shooting pheasants) and it was still a bit slow. That's why Hasselblad took over in the seventies, because three magazines kept you going with ease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    Thanks Cindy, I find composing in the square a very natural thing to do. A couple from this weekend past.

Sunrise Orewa Beach by BigHausen, on Flickr

Pricnces Wharf, Sunrise by BigHausen, on Flickr
    I struggled with square at first, but now really love it. These are beautiful. The detail in Pricnces Wharf is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
    Babysitter. Cambo TLR45. with the 150 lens pair. Aways a slight parallax problem because the camera had to be used sideways for verticals.
    Stunning photo.

Post Thanks / Like

To keep this thread going a couple from last weekend. Is winter here and I am looking for bright color to cheer me up.

Just before Sunrise by BigHausen, on Flickr

Wharf under repair. by BigHausen, on Flickr

Sun's Up by BigHausen, on Flickr
    David
    Auckland, NZ.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very inspiring photos, Hausen. I especially like "Just before Sunrise".
    I just sent my 2.8F to Harry Fleenor for a CLA and new Maxwell screen. I am shooting with my Rolleicord V and 2.8E in the meantime. I have several rolls of negatives from the three here waiting to be scanned. I will post something when I can get them done. I hope that we can keep the thread going with posts like yours.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

that TL Cambo got my interest:

my version:
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is quite the TLR, Jim. I guess you fashioned the viewing lens portion onto your Cambo? What about parallax?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ha! the base tilts forward to correct for parallax and can correct for as close as 4'

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cindy, thanks again, was very happy with that photo. Right place, right time and right camera/film. My Maxwell screen just arrived this morning and I am going to send mine in for some love as well. My wife and I are heading to her home town in Switzerland for first 2 weeks or August so want it all ready to go. Will have to use my Rolleicord Va while I wait for its return.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got some rolls back from Dwayne's that I shot with my Rolleis. All scanned on Epson 500V/Vuescan.
    Rolleiflex f/2.8F 80mm Planar, Portra 400

Rolleicord V 3.5 75mm Xenar, Efke 25
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 1st July 2012 at 08:00.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2.8F Planar and Portra 400
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

If my health allows, I will be heading outside this weekend with my beloved 1958 Yashica 635 dual format TLR for my first time ever shooting a Yashica TLR! I have had this absolutely flawless camera for awhile, but have been bedridden for most of the past few months. (permanent spinal injury) I am determined, however, to get up and outside with my cameras in tow, and explore some of the incredibly scenic coastal trails near my Fogo Island (Newfoundland) home over the next few days, come hell or high water!

I have also just recently decided to get back into the darkroom, for the first time in decades. I've just ordered a bunch of developing goodies, and am starting to feel like a kid on Christmas morning! I will post the results from my very first Yashica 635 shoot on here soon... assuming that I can still remember how to develop film after my 35 year hiatus!

In the meantime, here are a couple photos of my rare 635; rare due to its factory-installed black radial control dials for aperture and shutter speed. (they are normally silver dials on these cameras) It is widely believed that only a handful of 635's ever left the factory with these black knobs; it's possible that this may be the only remaining one in existence.

Glen

www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dual format!?! I didn't even know that this camera existed. Very, very interesting, and a beautiful camera too. Good luck with your shooting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First time out with a new to me Mamiya C330f and the 55mm lens. I have owned a Mamiya C220 for 35+ years, I never had it's big brother, the C330. The 55mm is also one lens for the Mamiya TLR which I've never had. Bought both of these from KEH recently.

I don't think these are quite as good as the similar images I've shot recently with the Hasselblad 503CXi and 100mm CFi lens, but I suppose that is not surprising....the Zeiss 100mm is an exceptionally good lens.

Gary

Velvia 100, medium resolution lab scan.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rolleiflex 3.5F here. Just got it out after many years, with an expired roll of Tri-X.

John

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yashicamat - my first MF camera...

Mt. Auburn Cemetery about 1984

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Rolleiflex 3.5F and Portra 400, gotta love the look of that Zeiss lens.

Post Thanks / Like

One more, of a slightly less feline nature this time.

Post Thanks / Like

That portrait is really nice. What a beautiful face and expression. (The woman, not the cat. ) I like to color pallatte, too.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That portrait is really nice. What a beautiful face and expression. (The woman, not the cat. ) I like to color pallatte, too.

John
    Thank you, I'm lucky enough to see that face every day I love the colors too, film is gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread, but I just started resurrecting an old C220 that a friend gave me. Loaded some 120 Fujicolor film and I can't wait to go out and shoot. I've been battling a cold for a few days and it's very cold outside so I'll have to wait.

I found this old print I shot more than 30 yrs ago with a Seagull TLR... Not nearly as sharp and good as the shots I see in this thread, but it reminds me how much fun it was..

Those children are now in their 40's no doubt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Silver92b,
    I haven't contributed to this thread for a while, because I sold my TLR. It so happens that this week, I bought a Yashicamat 124 and it is on its way to me. I look forward to your photos with the C220, and maybe I'll be adding some from the Yashicamat soon, too.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm kind of anxious to shoot with it (I also loaded some ISO 400 color film in my 35mm OM-1). It's a funny thing though.. With the digital cameras I click away at everything indiscriminately and promiscuously. With the film cameras I want to actually find something worthwhile to shoot... Of course, I'll probably screw up most of the shots LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    First time out with a new to me Mamiya C330f and the 55mm lens. I have owned a Mamiya C220 for 35+ years, I never had it's big brother, the C330. The 55mm is also one lens for the Mamiya TLR which I've never had. Bought both of these from KEH recently.

I don't think these are quite as good as the similar images I've shot recently with the Hasselblad 503CXi and 100mm CFi lens, but I suppose that is not surprising....the Zeiss 100mm is an exceptionally good lens.

Gary

Velvia 100, medium resolution lab scan.

Awesome shots. Is that a Howard DGA by chance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Silver92b. I'm pretty sure it is a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver which is a pretty common airplane in Alaska.

I have many other photos of Beavers here in Alaska, but most of them were not taken with my TLRs....which reminds me that I need to get out and shoot with them more often.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Gary. Those are interesting airplanes. BYW, I would like to visit Alaska to see it, and take photos of course. My son travels there fairly often as he is a sales rep and some of his customers are in Fairbanks.
    Anyway, much as I *respect* grizzly bears, I'd love to photograph them in the wild. Alaska seems to be one of the last large wildlife habitats in N. America.

Manuel