The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TLRs anyone?

scho

Carl,
Congratulations! Your Rollei is beautiful. I love the look of photos from the Rollei and will be watching for your posts.
Thanks Cindy. I recently posted some of my old rollei shots but now I need to get out with the new one and see if the rollei magic is still there.:)

scho

Finally found some time to shoot and develop some film from the Rolleiflex. Here are a few test shots taken in the Newman Arboretum at the lily pond pergola. Used tmax 100 and developed in tmax dev 1:4. Scanned with my new Nikon 9000 (thanks to Robert!). Also shot some fall color using Ektar and looking forward to getting the negs back from Praus Labs in Rochester. Bill Maxwell made a new screen for the Rollei which is a big improvement compared to the old stock screen. Now I just need to get my cataracts removed so I can see it better:ROTFL:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Finally found some time to shoot and develop some film from the Rolleiflex. Here are a few test shots taken in the Newman Arboretum at the lily pond pergola. Used tmax 100 and developed in tmax dev 1:4. Scanned with my new Nikon 9000 (thanks to Robert!). Also shot some fall color using Ektar and looking forward to getting the negs back from Praus Labs in Rochester. Bill Maxwell made a new screen for the Rollei which is a big improvement compared to the old stock screen. Now I just need to get my cataracts removed so I can see it better:ROTFL:

These look really nice. Now I know why you sold the Nikon 5000.
Are you using Nikonscan, Silverfast or Vuescan?

scho

These look really nice. Now I know why you sold the Nikon 5000.
Are you using Nikonscan, Silverfast or Vuescan?
Thanks Cindy. I'm using both Nikon Scan (Mac OS X) and Vuescan but I actually prefer Nikon Scan which I used for these scans. Just starting with the 9000, but the same interface so not much different from what I was doing before with the Nikon V other than now I can work with bigger negs. I gave up my darkroom long ago, but I still enjoy souping B&W negatives occasionally just using a film changing tent and kitchen processing with daylight tanks.

Are you still using a Rollei for 120 film work? I really like using this camera, but have to get used to working around the limited DOF again.

scho

Very nice Carl. Glad to see the 9000 arrived safely. :)
Thanks Robert. The 9000 arrived on schedule this morning and as you can see I put it to work right away. It is working very well and I want to thank you again for the excellent service. I had some concerns about possible firewire issues when installing, but no problems so far. My Mac intel computer has FW800 ports only so I just plugged the scanner into a powered FW400 port on my external FW hard drive and it works just fine.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carl, I sold my Rolleiflex f/2.8f (much to my dismay). I will be buying another Rollieflex some time in the future. The files have a special look that I just love. I'm using Mamiya 7/7II for medium format now.

I have my 9000 plugged into my external FW hard drives, but I also have the fw400/fw800 adapter so that I can plug it right into the Intel Mac. When they designed the FW800, they made it backward compatible to the FW400, so you can just put the adapter on the FW400.

Godfrey

Always loved Rolleiflex TLRs. Had a number of them over the years. A 1949 Rolleiflex belonging to my grandfather was amongst the first couple of cameras I had to use and learn with.

Sold my last one in the early 2000s; recently helped a photographer friend find a minty, late series Rolleiflex 2.8F for her personal work.

Lovely cameras, beautiful photos.

jjphoto

You can't beat a TLR for candid photography. You have to hold a leica, or typical range finder, to your eye to compose whilst you can casually look down into the viewfinder of a TLR and your subjects haven't a clue what's happening. The leaf shutters are virtually inaudible too. I love TLR's for that kind of photography.

JJ

durrIII

Just found a very nice Mamiya C33 with 80mm 2.8 lens for $40. Can't wait to give it a try. Anybody use one before?

photoSmart42

I still shoot with my C330F. I posted some photos in the big non-Leica thread. I'm busy using up my left-over 35mm Kodachrome film before the end of the year, but once that's done I'll get to shoot more 6x6 and 6x7 (with my RB67 Pro SD).

scho

Here are some Ektar scans from the Rollei also taken at the arboretum. I was surprised at the saturation level of this film - almost like a negative version of velvia.

scho

More Ektar scans from the Rolleiflex 2.8F. Taken at the local Farmers Market and Steamboat Landing behind the market.

the empty market

exit to Steamboat Landing

Steamboat Landing on Cayuga Inlet

One of the market benches on the inlet

bensonga

Just found a very nice Mamiya C33 with 80mm 2.8 lens for $40. Can't wait to give it a try. Anybody use one before?
I hope you bought it Durr....that's an excellent camera and lens for a price that is below "dirt cheap". I've been using my C220 for quite a few years.....and the C220 is even more basic than the C33/C330 models.

Gary

T

tokengirl

I've never used a TLR, don't even really know anything about them. But this thread has piqued my interest. Very nice work everyone.

PatrickT

I've been shooting with a Rolleiflex T (75mm, f/3.5) for a year or so now and I LOVE it. Takes getting used to with the backwards image and square aspect ratio, but it's a lot of fun. Looking to get an 80mm/2.8 version now... :) Here's some samples:

scho

I've been shooting with a Rolleiflex T (75mm, f/3.5) for a year or so now and I LOVE it. Takes getting used to with the backwards image and square aspect ratio, but it's a lot of fun. Looking to get an 80mm/2.8 version now... :) Here's some samples:
Patrick,

Beautiful portraits and very nice work with the Rollei. I'm getting to like composing, shooting, and printing in the 1:1 format.