The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TLRs anyone?

Scott G

I've never used a TLR, don't even really know anything about them. But this thread has piqued my interest. Very nice work everyone.
My interest in piqued as well. Dammit, more camera lust!

Carl and Patrick, your photos are sensational

jlm

Workshop Member
tlr always dear to my heart. here is a nugget of me taken in 1969 with my Yashicamat on one of my motorcycle projects

T

tetsrfun

tlr always dear to my heart. here is a nugget of me taken in 1969 with my Yashicamat on one of my motorcycle projects
That brings back some memories...I has a BSA of the same vintage...a cake pan under the crank-case to collect the dripping oil and Lucas electrics that were less than reliable.

Steve

bensonga

Cool photo Jim. Like Steve, I had a 1960s vintage BSA. It was my first motorcycle. A BSA Victor 441, single cylinder, kick start.....a terrible choice for a first motorcycle. Always had a devil of a time getting that big single to start. Surprised I don't have permanent bruises on my thigh from that kick starter.

Gary

bensonga

Terrific photos here folks. Glad to see so many are still using a TLR and producing such fine work. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Gary

jlm

Workshop Member
my first bike was a BSA 500 single, (not a goldstar, that came later.) had timing retard lever and compression release

T

tetsrfun

my first bike was a BSA 500 single, (not a goldstar, that came later.) had timing retard lever and compression release
I still have my 1955 BSA Road Rocket (still sitting in my ex-wife's garage..maybe??)......My '06 Triumph Thruxton gives me the British bike nostalgia with out the oil leaks and pushing a dead bike home. :>)

Steve

The first time that I laid my eyes on mounted medium format transparenices and photographic prints made from medium format film, I was blown away. And these trannys and prints were made from a Rollieflex twin lens reflex selling for $200 at a camera fair. The prints and slides were on display on the same stall as examples of what this camera was capable of. Up to that point, I had been perfectly content with the 35mm slides exposed with my Canon FD lenses but they didn't compare with these larger images. Even though the Rollie prints were only about postcard size, they revealed a level of clarity and detail that I just wasn't getting with my 35mm images. From that point on, I said to myself: "Ive got to get a medium format camera!"

I did manage to pick up a cheapie Russian twin lens reflex from another camera fair for about $15. The ideal super cheap way to experiment with medium format. It had a little chip off the side - hence the discounted price. I also discovered that the shutter speeds were erratic - they were all over the place, never consistent. So the only thing that I could do with the camera was to use it for time exposures in my local city at night. I exposed one roll that way but examining the results under a loupe, the sharpness fell off quite noticeably away from the center of the image. Perhaps not the best quality lenses!

Sometime later, I bought a Koni Omega Rapid 6x7 rangefinder camera as a more serious MF cam. That was followed by a Yashica D twin lens reflex. I mainly use them for landscape photography.

I made two big prints (close to 20 x 30 inches) from both of those cameras and submitted them to an exhibition. The print from the Koni won Second Prize in it's category, and also sold. The print from the Yashica tlr didn't sell or win any prizes but got some nice comments from people. They were quite impressed with the quality. My brother, who saw the print, asked if it was shot on film or digital. When my sister first saw the print, she assumed that it was a poster that I had bought. Little did people know that the image in the print came from a camera that was manufactured during the 1950s and that I had bought for about US$30 on eBay. Quite ironic...most people submitting photos to this exhibition were using modern digital cameras. There was also a peoples vote in which the public could vote for their favourite work of art out of all the photographs, paintings and sculptures at the exhibition. About four or five people voted for my Koni print and a similar number of people voted for my Yashica print.

N

nacspics

This is my TLR and one of the most beautiful cameras of my collection.

Rolleicord I Art Deco

durrIII

I have a Mamiya C22 and a C33, an 80/2.8 and 180/4.5 lens. The 80/2.8 has a stuck shutter (will not cock) and the 180/4.5 needs a CLA (looks like some junk on the rear element). Who should I send them to for cleaning and/or repairs?

These suckers are HEAVY!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I don't have a Mamiya TLR. I know Harry Fleenor is known for Rollei TLR repair. I did notice that KEH has expanded their repair department and are offering a 6 months warranty. You might want to check them out. I'd read some of the threads in the TLR forum at RFF and see if you can garner any info on Mamiya TLR repair.

I have a Mamiya C22 and a C33, an 80/2.8 and 180/4.5 lens. The 80/2.8 has a stuck shutter (will not cock) and the 180/4.5 needs a CLA (looks like some junk on the rear element). Who should I send them to for cleaning and/or repairs?

These suckers are HEAVY!

seakayaker

FIrst Rolleiflex . . . . . First Roll of film Ilford PANF Plus 50

Thomas Burke Monument ~ Volunteer Park ~ Seattle

Black Sun ~ Volunteer Park ~ Seattle

Volunteer Park Conservatory ~ Seattle

Processed at lab and had scanned then used NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 software for processing.

ReeRay

Good to see these Dan. I've just sent my old Rollieflex 3.5F 75mm to Harry Fleenor for a CLA and bright screen fitting. I've had this camera for 25 (ish) years and can't remember the last time I used it!
Can't wait for it's return!

seakayaker

ReeRay, I picked up the same model Rolleiflex, a 3.5 with Zeiss Planar 75mm lens. Picked it up from B&H which had it listed as a type 4 and the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1969. It did come with a bright screen and is in excellent condition. Only a bit of discoloration displayed in the leather on the top of the camera. Two rolls of film through the camera and I need to work on focus and taking level shots.

Enjoying the experience and will admit I was influenced after viewing the Vivian Maier portfolios, http://www.vivianmaier.com/portfolios/ and article in the New York Times.

bensonga

Congratulations on the Rollie Dan.....and nice images! Reminds me that I haven't had my Mamiya TLR out for quite awhile. Look forward to seeing more of your Rollie shots. No snow there in Seattle I see.....wish I could same the same for Alaska. Record snow falls this winter.

Gary

seakayaker

Thanks Gary, yes I will be putting a few rolls through the Rolleiflex during the next couple of weeks to work on improving my skills with this camera.

Hopefully you have plenty of heating fuel, coal or wood on hand for the weather you folks up there are experiencing. Certainly the town of Cordova, Alaska has been in the news with their record snowfalls and shortage of supplies. We have some snow in the mountains but bare streets down at sea level so far and to be honest I hope it stays that way. The city of Seattle is just not equipped to manage a snow storm.

A good thought and a prayer for you and your fellow Alaskan citizens that you all fair the winter well and make it into spring with good health.