The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TLRs anyone?

bensonga

Anyone here still shooting with a twin lens reflex?

I dug my own Mamiya C220 out of the closet recently and loaded up a roll of Ilford B&W film. It's a real joy to use.

I had a look a KEH and discovered the price of used TLR lenses is very attractive indeed. Just received a beautiful 180 Super in the mail today..$215.

A very simple camera to use....and those 6x6 negatives are superb.

Gary

Here's one from a time when the Mamiya C220 was my ONLY camera.

emmawest72

Gary,

I'm still using a Lubitel which I bought back in 1994 for USD 20. Difficult to focus and results are sometimes a bit unpredictable but it's real fun to use.

Cheers

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I am still shooting with my relatively new (to me) Rollieflex. I absolutely love that camera. I mean as in want to hold it and fondle it kind of love. The hardest part is readjusting to the time required between shooting and seeing the images. Oh yeah, and my scanner sucks. But the quality is amazing and it is about as simple as a camera can get.

My list of cameras is very modest compared to many who hang out here, yet I still struggle a bit with taking full advantage of all their potential on a regular basis. I find myself going on benders with just one outfit at the expense of the others. Right now it's my lowly Nikon. But the Rollei beckons and she's up next.

bensonga

I've heard so much about the Rollieflex TLRs, but I've never actually had the opportunity to see or hold one. Maybe someday. That kind of precision craftmanship is such a joy to experience. Which model do you have TR?

Might be time to get a scanner worthy of your Rollie! :)

Gary

O

Oxide Blu

My absolute favorite film camera is my Yashica 4x4 TLR. No swappable lens like the Mamiya, but much smaller and compact. And I adore 127 film.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This is my baby. Pictured here in a photo taken by the seller. Bought it from a collector and it was (still is) pristine. :)

O

Oxide Blu

Nice Rollei. I'd love to get my hands on a pristine Baby Rolleiflex -- a 4x4 Rollei that uses 127 film.

bensonga

Nice Rollei. I'd love to get my hands on a pristine Baby Rolleiflex -- a 4x4 Rollei that uses 127 film.
Are you a fan of the 4x4/127 film cameras because of the smaller size? I have the impression that the Rollei 6x6 TLR is already smaller than my Mamiya TLR.

Gary

O

Oxide Blu

Are you a fan of the 4x4/127 film cameras because of the smaller size? I have the impression that the Rollei 6x6 TLR is already smaller than my Mamiya TLR.

Gary
Yup. Because it is an archaic film size, the cameras that take that film have older lenses without the modern coatings. Also, a 4x4 image just barely fits into a 35mm carousel for slide projection. There are slide holders made for 4x4 slides. They are called 'super slides'.

I also have a Sawyer 4x4 TLR and 3 KOMA Flex 4x4 SLRs. But the Yashica 4x4 is may fav because of the lens.

Note: the Koma SLRs are a scaled down version of the KOWA Six SLRs -- flip the 'W' over to be an 'M' -- KoWa, KoMa. Kowa made the first medium format SLRs with interchangeable lenses.

The Baby Rollei (4x4) I'd love to get my hands on:

bensonga

The Baby Rollei (4x4) I'd love to get my hands on:

Oooooo.....now that is a beauty too! Can't be many of these around.

Ok...I can see that I'll have to learn alot more about Rolleis before diving into that pool.

Something about these TLRs. They are sort of the antithesis of the auto everything camera, whether film or digital. I suppose the only thing more basic is a view camera or a pinhole camera.

Gary

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
The collector who sold me mine had one camera remaining. It was another pristine camera, the grey Baby Rollei much like the one you posted as an example. He said he was going to keep it for himself. If you're interested, I can get you his info, he may still have it.

And I agree, these TLRs are simply elegant. Silent and solid. None of the mirror slap you get from a similar vintage Hassy, and no blackout during the exposure.

bensonga

I used one for both my wedding and personal work and love it!

Cheers,
Wonderful shot Riccis. Everyone talks about the Leica rangefinder's as great cameras for street photography, but I think the TLRs are right up there too.

Gary

bensonga

I think we need a few more TLR images here....although I'm quite happy to enjoy looking at the cameras themselves too . :)

Here's one more from my Mamiya C220. This was taken on Galveston Island, Texas in the mid-90s. Unfortunately, the lab in Houston botched the development of this roll of film and there was severe streaking on the negatives. I've tried to fix it in Photoshop as best I can. Still an image I enjoy....brings back some great memories. I rode my bicycle all over the island with my trusty Mamiya TLR in a pannier.

Some things work in the square format....I thought this one worked better cropped to a rectangular image.

Gary

bensonga

Anymore TLR images to share?

Here's one more from my Mamiya C220....most likely the 80mm lens.

Galveston, Texas commercial fishing boat rigging.

Gary

steflaurent974

Hi,

I use a TLR too. It is a Rolleiflex 2.8E3 with the Xenotar wich gave and gives me entire satisfaction : very crispy even at 2.8 wide open.

scho

Just picked up my "new" Rolleiflex 2.8F and itching to get out and shoot some film again. I had the same model about 40 years ago and now have to get re-aquainted with MF film shooting and processing. I used to shoot with the old Tech Pan near the end of my former film period, but since that is no longer available thought I would try the relatively new Rollei ATP 1.1 film. Anyone here using this film? Processing recommendations?

My new/old friend:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carl,
Congratulations! Your Rollei is beautiful. I love the look of photos from the Rollei and will be watching for your posts.