The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What film ?

steflaurent974

Hi , been far from film market since a while, I am getting back in the game !
What film to shoot today ?
Is there any Velvia ? what kind of negative to use ?
What BW film (a lot of new 'old' things are on the market) ?

Merry christmas

Stephane.

Stuart Richardson

For slides, try Kodak E100G, Velvia if you like that look, Provia 100F, Astia 100F (lower contrast, nice colors), and Provia 400X (best 400 speed slide).
For color negative (which I personally cannot really stand), everyone raves about the new Ektar 100. The Portra and Fuji Pro NS/VS films are the other professional standards.

For black and white there is a lot more choice. My personal favorite is Fuji Acros, which is an astoundingly good film -- the finest grain of any 100 speed black and white, a very good tonal range, very sharp, forgiving processing in many developers, and the least reciprocity failure of normal black and white films. In 120, like the rest of Fuji films it is easier to load and unload since it has a locking paper tab (so the film stays on the spool automatically), and hand rip-able debris free tape holding the film on the backing. It is a technological tour de force. A lot of these things you will not appreciate if you don't process for yourself, but it is really a film that people who developed a lot can learn to love!

Other than that, if you like traditional emulsions, try Pan F+, FP4+, Fuji Neopan 400 or Tri-X. There are many other nice films to choose from, but those are some good places to start. It is very hard to go wrong with any of the films from Fuji, Kodak and Ilford.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
For slides, try Kodak E100G, Velvia if you like that look, Provia 100F, Astia 100F (lower contrast, nice colors), and Provia 400X (best 400 speed slide).
For color negative (which I personally cannot really stand), everyone raves about the new Ektar 100. The Portra and Fuji Pro NS/VS films are the other professional standards.

For black and white there is a lot more choice. My personal favorite is Fuji Acros, which is an astoundingly good film -- the finest grain of any 100 speed black and white, a very good tonal range, very sharp, forgiving processing in many developers, and the least reciprocity failure of normal black and white films. In 120, like the rest of Fuji films it is easier to load and unload since it has a locking paper tab (so the film stays on the spool automatically), and hand rip-able debris free tape holding the film on the backing. It is a technological tour de force. A lot of these things you will not appreciate if you don't process for yourself, but it is really a film that people who developed a lot can learn to love!

Other than that, if you like traditional emulsions, try Pan F+, FP4+, Fuji Neopan 400 or Tri-X. There are many other nice films to choose from, but those are some good places to start. It is very hard to go wrong with any of the films from Fuji, Kodak and Ilford.

Yes!:ROTFL:

Bob

steflaurent974

As I mainly process by myself, I'll give a try with the ACROS 100.

I used to be a TRIX400 / D76 1:1 man, but I'll gve a try to Acros. What kind of soup t process Acros 100 usualy gave you the best result ?

Stuart Richardson

The best result is in Rodinal 1+100 for 18 minutes, 20 degrees C, agitating for 15 seconds for each of the first 3 minutes, then one inversion every 3 minutes. You need to make sure you use at least 7mL of Rodinal concentrate per roll though, so this means doing one roll per liter -- this is not very practical, but it is great results.

Almost as good is Xtol 1+1 for the standard time using the standard agitation method.