The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Project : Do you help this little old Canon girl to see the world ?

proenca

Hi there,

Got an idea and think this might be fun - already posted this on couple Leica forums and decided to open up the project for getDPI as well.

I have a old Canon SLR - T70 and a 50mm 1.4 lens. All manual. All worth the magic sum of 50 or 60 bucks.

Everything is in pretty much ok condition and I looked at it the other day and its not used for ages ( years actually ) . For film stuff I use my Leicas. For SLR stuff I use my D2h.

What if, I thought, if I the little old camera can travel the world ? And we see it ?

The idea is simple : a person receives the camera, put a roll of film of their choice, develop it and scan it. Then he pays the shipping and send it to the next user which does the same.

Film can be any of your choice, problems with customs should be ZERO since the camera + lens value today is worth around 40€ or something, so negligible.

I will put a map with a trace of where the camera is going and where it traveled from where to where and create a flikr group to share the pictures.

Its just a fun project.

So basically people will have to :

- buy the film
- shoot the film
- develop and scan the film
- upload to the flikr group the images
- box and pay the shipping to the next user

This is the camera ( although its a picture from KenRockwell site ) :

What you guys think ?

Few things :

- only people that are getDPI members for more than 60 days are eligible
- only people with more than 40 posts are eligble
- people must be willing to pay the shipping of the camera with tracking number

So...

Who's in ?

Please reply saying :

Name, Country of Origin

So I'm IN !

Proenca, PORTUGAL
( already have around 10 people from UK, Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Australia, Japan, USA so the little girl is going to see the world all right... )

Few rules :
- top 3 photos to be uploaded to flickr
- only this lens and this camera ( no swapping )
- film either b/w / slide / negative - your choice
- home developing and home scanning 100% ok
- you can only keep the camera for 7 to 10 days then must pass it on
- you must pay for tracked shipment

carstenw

I'm in, if I don't have to ship the camera too far. I don't have so much money right now, but would like to participate.

T

tokengirl

Excellent. I have a box of about a dozen rolls of film that expired about 15 years ago, and no film camera. So I'm in. You should expect a bunch of fogged and off-color photos from Florida. :D

Dustbak

I love the idea. It has been over 10 years ago since I used film so I am a bit nervous about the idea but it is probably like riding a bike.

Do I qualify? I am not a member for over 60 nor do I have the 40posts yet however I think many people over here do know me.

If I would be allowed to participate I gladly will. I don't care where I need to send the camera next, love to send stuff to exotic places.

B

bracan

I'm in there also....if it fits:)))
Braca Nadezdic
Belgrade, Serbia

carstenw

Well Paolo, do you want to get things going? Is a good sequence: Portugal, Spain, France, Netherlands, U.K., Germany, Austria, Serbia, Israel, and then Iceland and overseas?

D

Devon Shaw

Sounds like a good project.

I'm in if there's a spot.

Ben Rubinstein

Actually, Beni, are you currently in Israel or in the U.K.?
In Jerusalem till Sunday then a couple of weeks in England and Scotland shooting weddings then back to Jerusalem for the Passover festival and hopefully to start my new project :D

I voluteered for this thingy with Jerusalem in mind, no doubt the UK is well covered!

Terry

I'm a bit too close to Sonoma but if you need another person I'm just down the road in San Francisco.

Ben Rubinstein

Anyone actually heard back from the OP? I'd say that if we don't hear back, why not do it ourselves, make it a GetDPI project, only difference being that I'd pick the Canon A1 instead :D

carstenw

He's around, I've PMed with him yesterday. Give him a couple of days to get it going, I'm sure he'll be back.