The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 7 50mm lens

tjv

I haven't done the scans to back this up yet but man, this 50mm lens is really sweet! Really, really sweet. It's a revelation shooting this wide compared to equivalent 35mm focal lengths. Even when shooting modern Leica ASPH glass I saw more distortion and vignetting. Truly amazing stuff. Will post some (average) photos when I get time on the scanner...
:thumbs:

EdSawyer

The 50 is a totally sweet lens, specs-wise it tests better than all the others by a small margin. (they are all Great though). I find myself using the 65 a lot as a nice walkaround lens, and it's a good one for that too.

I have some tests from older magazines, where the 7/7II and lenses were reviewed, including a test of all 5 of the lenses at the time (the 210 wasn't out then). They are at www.edsawyer.com/lenstests/

As for framing with the 50mm finder, I find that the actual film image is usually a little larger than the framelines in the finder, generally. Some people skip the external finder for the 50 and use the fully visible area on the main finder. Personally I tried that, but the external finder shows a bit more than the visible area of the main finder, so a little more accurate for framing.

-Ed