Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

  1. #1
    mike.ong
    Guest

    Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Hi Guys,

    I was wondering which lens do you prefer.

    I'm getting an M6 body .72, I would like to get your opinion which is the better lens for it. I know that Ultron is wider, which will maximize the framelines of the M6 (28mm). Nokton has an extra stop.. I must say that the Nokton 35/1.2 ASPH is just heavy for me that's why I'm residing to these lenses.

    I'm a bit concern with the glass though. Does any of the 2 more superior to the other except for the focal length and f stop?

    Thanks guys! Still learning a lot here.

    Mike

  2. #2
    Senior Member leif e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Mike! Im only familiar with the 28 predecessor, the 1,9/28, which was a grand lens at contrasty evening city lights and such. The Nokton Ive shot a lot - on M4/M4-Ps and M8. A great lens, definitely - was my regular walk-around for quite some time.

    FWIW; Id probably go for the Nokton for versatility and speed (and character) and maybe seek out a slower 28 ...

    leif e

    Good luck searching!
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or aid), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

  3. #3
    mike.ong
    Guest

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Quote Originally Posted by leif e View Post
    Mike! Im only familiar with the 28 predecessor, the 1,9/28, which was a grand lens at contrasty evening city lights and such. The Nokton Ive shot a lot - on M4/M4-Ps and M8. A great lens, definitely - was my regular walk-around for quite some time.

    FWIW; Id probably go for the Nokton for versatility and speed (and character) and maybe seek out a slower 28 ...

    leif e

    Good luck searching!
    Hey Leif e,

    Thanks for the reply. I've heard that the 28/1.9 ultron was great, specially it's ASPH. I would love to get one but I think it's more "proper" IMO to put an M mount lens to an M body.

    Yes indeed. 35 is more versatile and the 1.4 opening would really help me for low light condition.

    Mike

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Quote Originally Posted by mike.ong View Post
    I think it's more "proper" IMO to put an M mount lens to an M body.
    That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The 28/1.9 Ultron is a superior lens in every way to its successor. Also, if you ever think you'll have a digital M, it makes even more sense to get the 28/1.9 and a Milich LTM adapter, which can be permanently coded.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Oh, BTW the 35/1.4 Nokton Classic is my workhorse lens. Here's a bunch of pix with it:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mediawe...7603999438147/

    IMO, the extra money for the SC is a waste. There's not that big of a difference that I can see.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    I'll put in another vote for the 28 f/1.9. I love mine on my M4-P and M8. It is a gem.
    I just code mine with a marker for use on my M8.
    Also, there is nothing at all wrong with using a screw-mount lens on an M camera with an LTM to M adapter. 3 of my 5 lenses are screw mount.

  7. #7
    Senior Member M5-Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Camby, Indiana
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    I have both.
    I like an use the 35mm more. Maybe because it is has a versatile FOV, but the 28 is a great lens too.

    I have not yet learned to see as wide as a 28mm, but I like it and use for landscapes and less framed candid purposes that I crop later. The DOF is great at moderate f/stops (f/5.6, f/8) and allows a close candid on the street (like 5 feet away and get a full body framed)

    The SC is said to allow a little better shadow details, good for BW. Not sure though. it is a little more contrasty than I thought, not too bad though, and allows a full dynamic range anyway.

    28mm Ultron shot on XP2 at ISO 125 Cropped of course. the width is 28mm though.


    35mm SC shot with Fuji Acros 100. cropped to be more square to match the image stucture


    Both are great lenses. Get Both at around $1,200 including the LH-6 or 7 for the 35mm.. is a great value considering the Zeiss would cost double and you would not get f/2 or f/1.4, the Leitz well... get a loan.

  8. #8
    Senior Member M5-Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Camby, Indiana
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post

    IMO, the extra money for the SC is a waste. There's not that big of a difference that I can see.
    The 35 SC or the 35 MC are the same price...at least they are now.
    where they at different prices in the past?

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Quote Originally Posted by M5-Guy View Post
    The 35 SC or the 35 MC are the same price...at least they are now.
    where they at different prices in the past?
    Yeah, when I first looked at them the SC was around $100US more and was a "limited edition."

  10. #10
    mike.ong
    Guest

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The 28/1.9 Ultron is a superior lens in every way to its successor. Also, if you ever think you'll have a digital M, it makes even more sense to get the 28/1.9 and a Milich LTM adapter, which can be permanently coded.
    Hahaha! It seems like that the price of 28/1.9 ASPH is getting higher nowadays.
    And a bit hard to find.

    The MC and SC have the same price on most online stores on ebay, specially on Asian stores.

    Oh well, thanks again for your replies. I think the 35 is more versatile. I'll try to shoot more with my current 35 lens and see if it's wide enough for me on the street.

  11. #11
    Senior Member M5-Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Camby, Indiana
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

    Quote Originally Posted by mike.ong View Post
    Hahaha! It seems like that the price of 28/1.9 ASPH is getting higher nowadays.
    And a bit hard to find.

    The MC and SC have the same price on most online stores on ebay, specially on Asian stores.

    Oh well, thanks again for your replies. I think the 35 is more versatile. I'll try to shoot more with my current 35 lens and see if it's wide enough for me on the street.
    The 35 makes a good street lens. You can hip shoot fairly close without chopping off heads. I hang my M5 from my neck and it rests on my belly, just above my real waist, wherever that is! (perfect place ).

    I tried this technique with my 50mm... results below

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •