The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Cosina Voigtlander Bessa R thru R4M owners out there?

L

lilmsmaggie

Thinking about buying my first rangefinder. Since I've never owned one, I'm not even sure what type of shooting I want to use it for but street photography has peeked my interest.

I've also become interested in the Voigtlander Bessa R3M with 40mm 1.4 Nokton lens. I thought this might be a good starter; however, I'm not sure if I should get the single-coated version, or multicoated version of this lens.

So, bottomline, I'd like to hear any suggestions, experiences and recommendations as far as the choice of a first rangefinder and Voigtlanders in particular.

scho

Thinking about buying my first rangefinder. Since I've never owned one, I'm not even sure what type of shooting I want to use it for but street photography has peeked my interest.

I've also become interested in the Voigtlander Bessa R3M with 40mm 1.4 Nokton lens. I thought this might be a good starter; however, I'm not sure if I should get the single-coated version, or multicoated version of this lens.

So, bottomline, I'd like to hear any suggestions, experiences and recommendations as far as the choice of a first rangefinder and Voigtlanders in particular.
Hi Maggie,

I had the R3M and although the camera is basically OK the rangefinder was not that great. Short RF base length and often needed adjustment. I also owned the Zeiss Ikon which is a real gem and has what is probably the best RF and viewfinder of all (including Leica Ms). My current 35mm camera is the Contax G2 - great camera and superb lenses for relatively little money.

L

lilmsmaggie

the R3M and although the camera is basically OK the rangefinder was not that great. Short RF base length and often needed adjustment.
Thanks for the info -- I was afraid of that (need adjustment that is). Film camera technicians are few and far between, especially in my area.

Seemed like a least inexpensive alternative to the Leica's, or other used rangefinder cameras.