Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Are you still shooting 35mm film?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Are you still shooting 35mm film?

Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    Well I was not going to shoot 35mm anymore but was looking at a couple of lenses I have that I have no bodies for. A Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 and a Leica R PC 28 2.8 SA and thought I want to use these lenses and investigated either a Leica R8 or a Nikon F6. Went the F6 route and have ordered a new mount from Leitax for the Leica R lens and should be operational by next week. Also I still have around 100 rolls of 35mm film so didn't want that to go to waste. Was my birthday last week and my wife wanted to know what I wanted and I said a Nikon F6. Done.
    Welcome to the club
    Here's a link to John Crane's excellent F6 page:

Nikon F6 35mm Film Camera
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One little oddity about the F6 to watch out for - the first batteries you put in it won't last very long as they have to charge an internal battery that remembers settings when you take out the main battery. The CR123 batteries also tend to die suddenly whilst still reading as full. In the middle of a film you get an "Err" code on the top LCD and even putting in a new battery won't save it; you have to rewind the film (manually), then change the battery and then load a new film. I've had no such problems using the MB-40 grip and AA batteries, but it does increase weight and size considerably.

Otherwise it is a lovely camera and remarkably quiet for an SLR.

Chris
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, will certainly watch out for that. I bought 4 rechargeable CR123s yesterday so will have 2 in the bag spare at all time. Shot a test roll of 36 yesterday in an hour. Fastest roll ever. What a joy to use with my Zeiss 15, the VF looks enormous.

Thanks Jorgen, read that blog before I purchased the F6. It was what tipped me over the edge to get the F6 rather than a Leica R8.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jorgen, read that blog before I purchased the F6. It was what tipped me over the edge to get the F6 rather than a Leica R8.
    Personal predilections play into this. I was a Nikon SLR guy for decades, Leica RFs were a sideline for limited things, but the last of the Nikon SLRs I really loved were the F3 and FM2n. Never liked the F4, F5, and F6 for some reason; they just didn't settle in my hands right although I know they're excellent cameras.

I like the simplicity of the R8/R9—the controls are a work of art, the viewfinder is superb, the feel of the whole camera is just right. The lenses are just wonderful. Of course it's heavy like a brick but I don't pretend to carrying it all the time nowadays like I might have if it were 20 years ago.

Right now, however, my film fun is having the Leica M4-2 loaded and ready for shooting with 29 of 36 shots left to go. And loading up a Polaroid for a quick burst of instant prints. I'll get back to the F and the R8 in a month or two...

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    One little oddity about the F6 to watch out for - the first batteries you put in it won't last very long as they have to charge an internal battery that remembers settings when you take out the main battery. The CR123 batteries also tend to die suddenly whilst still reading as full. In the middle of a film you get an "Err" code on the top LCD and even putting in a new battery won't save it; you have to rewind the film (manually), then change the battery and then load a new film. I've had no such problems using the MB-40 grip and AA batteries, but it does increase weight and size considerably.

Otherwise it is a lovely camera and remarkably quiet for an SLR.

Chris
    While I agree that batteries die very quickly when the indicator shows anything less than full, I have never experienced the situation you describe, but then I think I've only run out of steam mid-roll once, since I usually car an extra set and change as soon as the indication appears. Probably a good rule then

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Two Nikon F3T/HP bodies with motor drives and a bunch of lenses.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of my favourites from my test roll on the F6. (Fuji Pro160) The meter on this camera is unbelievable. I punished it with impossible lighting and it come up trumps.

Godfrey I agree it all comes down to personal taste and timing. Never thought I would pick a Nikon body over a Leica but I am glad I did. An R8 would have looked great next to my Monochrom and 903SWC. But I have a Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 that blows my VC15 4.5 to the weeds and I wanted something to use it on. Would I like an R8 as well? For sure.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of my favourites from my test roll on the F6. (Fuji Pro160) The meter on this camera is unbelievable. I punished it with impossible lighting and it come up trumps.

Godfrey I agree it all comes down to personal taste and timing. Never thought I would pick a Nikon body over a Leica but I am glad I did. An R8 would have looked great next to my Monochrom and 903SWC. But I have a Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 that blows my VC15 4.5 to the weeds and I wanted something to use it on. Would I like an R8 as well? For sure.
    The VC15 f/4.5 is a good lens, but doesn't hold a candle to any of the Leica or Zeiss lenses in the same focal length bracket. Just like the Nikkor 15mm f/3.5 AI-S is a very nice lens, but when I compare it to the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 it very rapidly shows its shortcomings ... and the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v2 is a far better performer still.

Buying a body because you have an excellent lens that you want to use is absolutely one of the best rationales going. I almost kept my Pentax K10D specifically and solely to keep using the FA43/1.9 and FA77/1.8 Limited lenses, the two best lenses that Pentax has ever made IMO.

The Hasselblad SWC is a wonderful example of this too... except they sensibly made it only in a fixed body. ]'-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I almost kept my Pentax K10D specifically and solely to keep using the FA43/1.9 and FA77/1.8 Limited lenses, the two best lenses that Pentax has ever made IMO.

G
    I can't count the times I have been close to buying a Pentax camera only to be able to use those two lenses. I would prefer a full frame version though, and add the 31mm as well. But he 77mm alone would actually be enough for me. A very nice focal length on a crop sensor body.

K5 bodies are cheap now, aren't they... and then an MZ-S?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I can't count the times I have been close to buying a Pentax camera only to be able to use those two lenses. I would prefer a full frame version though, and add the 31mm as well. But he 77mm alone would actually be enough for me. A very nice focal length on a crop sensor body.

K5 bodies are cheap now, aren't they... and then an MZ-S?
    The FA43 was the one for me, and I did almost buy a K-01 just to have one again. I resisted. (The FA31 never did it for me... The DA21 did. :-)

I liked them on the APS-C digital bodies, although I admit to being intrigued with the MZ-S. Never had one though.

That's all long ago and far away now.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a film scanner and I'm in the mood to play! I may want to try a quality film camera like a medium format folder, a panoramic or even a Leica M4-2. But what I mostly want to fuss with are toy cameras such as Konstruktor by Lomography or Last Camera by Superheadz. Or both! So decadent.
    Last edited by 4season; 9th November 2014 at 12:02.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Are you still shooting 35mm film?juqsr

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Welcome to the club
    Here's a link to John Crane's excellent F6 page:

Nikon F6 35mm Film Camera
    Just finally joined the F6 club. I've been waiting for too long to get my ultimate 35mm camera (other than my XPan II of course ).
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulation Graham on your newly acquired F6.

Post Thanks / Like

Having a blast discovering the beauty of CineStill 50, super fine grained daylight and CineStill 800T indoor/night time films

Widelux and Xpan + natural light portraits are spectacular!

Anxiously awaiting new Ferrania film releases.

Texsport
    Last edited by Texsport; 1st January 2015 at 16:19.
    Exacta VX,500;Leica M3;Voigtlander Bessa L;Olympus OM4, OM4T,35SP,E-M5;Nikkormat FTN;Nikon FG,F4,F5;Canon EF,T90,EOS A2,EOS3,SL1;Fujica 670/690G and BL;Pentacon Six TL;Rittreck 66;Warner 66;Norita 66; Widelux F7;H XPan;Noblex 150;Linhof 617.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, in small quantities. Have a roll in my M4-2 that is taking forever to finish up at present. I'll pull out the Nikon F afterwards ...

G

Post Thanks / Like

From the CineStill website-

CineStill 800T - Inhanced halation highlights

http://41.media.tumblr.com/90a3cff67...dq1o7_1280.jpg

CineStill 50D - super fine grain

http://thebrotherswright.tumblr.com/image/102405468438

Texsport
    Last edited by Texsport; 2nd January 2015 at 10:19.
    Exacta VX,500;Leica M3;Voigtlander Bessa L;Olympus OM4, OM4T,35SP,E-M5;Nikkormat FTN;Nikon FG,F4,F5;Canon EF,T90,EOS A2,EOS3,SL1;Fujica 670/690G and BL;Pentacon Six TL;Rittreck 66;Warner 66;Norita 66; Widelux F7;H XPan;Noblex 150;Linhof 617.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally finished off the roll of HP5 that has been sitting in my Leica R6.2 for almost 2 years.

I don't usually shoot film with an ISO higher than 100, although I guess the film grain looks ok in this shot.
    Last edited by bensonga; 9th February 2015 at 18:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't let the fact that I rarely shoot 35mm film anymore deter me from adding this beauty to my Leica SLR collection.
    Last edited by bensonga; 9th February 2015 at 23:45.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly medium and large format just now, but I have a roll of TX in my Pen FT that I'm slowly working through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)