The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you still shooting 35mm film?

bensonga

So nice. I kind of want to get a Nikon F2 Photomic and a Canon F1 -- they were the "best" cameras when I first fell in love with photography. Two of the very few cameras I'd consider buying (mostly) for collection purposes.
Agreed! :thumbs:

The F-1 I ordered will be here next week. My only concern is finding Canon FD lenses worth their salt. Any recommendations?

I have a nice collection of Nikon non-AI, AI and AIS lenses that work with every Nikon camera I own. I gotta give Nikon a lot of credit.....they didn't "orphan" their older manual focus lenses when they developed autofocus cameras, unlike Canon.

Gary

bensonga

Well, the Canon F-1 I purchased from KEH arrived today. I was almost hoping I could find some reason to return it.....but that doesn't look likely now. It's in beautiful condition. The only thing missing is a rubber eyepiece ring, which I can get for $15. The two lenses I ordered (135/2.8 and 28/2.8) are also in fine condition. A 24/2.8, 35/2, and 85/1.8 (all in EX+ condition) are sitting in my KEH shopping cart. I'm still holding out for a 50/1.4 in EX+ condition. Looks like another 35mm camera system is taking shape. Just what I needed. ;-)

williamkazak

I had a Nilon F6 but I sold it for lack of use and I needed the money. A wonderful camera. I currently have a Nikon F100 and without the F6 next to it, the F100 sure looks good. (I had two previously). I felt there was something missing in my world, having not shot film since I got into digital with the Nikon D70s bodies. Now I use Nikon D300 bodies. I like T-Max film and I have three rolls sitting there waiting for me to develop. I figure that since I shot film since grade school and I had a level of attainment with processing and printing, that I should not let that previous attainment go to waste. It is a shame to see my Apo-Rodagon enlarger lens sitting there for lack of use.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I still occasionally shoot with my F100 and I'd love to get an F6 as it, along with the Leica MP, are probably the pinnacle of 35mm cameras. However, when I shoot film these days I typically gravitate to shooting either 6x6 or 6x17 medium format on the basis that if I'm shooting film anyway I may as well go BIG (although without the inconvenience of 4x5 or larger).

In my part of the world I definitely notice a minor resurgence in interest in shooting film these days. My local stores do a pretty decent business buying and selling used analog gear, both 35mm and medium format. Also the schools still require 35mm film for their photo classes. :thumbs:

Godfrey

How many of you are still shooting 35mm film? What cameras and why?
Well, I better be. Just received an order of another dozen rolls of 35mm film, some Rollei Superpan 200 and Fuji ACROS 100.

I should finish the darn roll in the Nikon F....
The CL, M4-2, Rollei 35S, Minox 35GT-E, and Robot II are all waiting too.

Why is a question I'm not going to muse upon at the moment. I'd rather just get to it and not worry about that. :)

G

Hausen

This is a great question fo me. My favorite camera would be my M6 Ti but I haven't used it this year. Most of my film shots have been with my Linhof 612. Just hung 2 prints from my Linhof 1m x 500 and shot same shots with Sony A99 and Leica PC28/2.8R and the Linhof and Velvia blew the doors off the Sony/leica pano. The tiny 35mm negative almost looks silly next to the 6x12. And all my 35 film are 36 exp rolls and when I am shooting film 36 shots can take a lifetime to shoot. Am at present trying to come up with a project that will suit my M6 just so I can use it. My other problem is I love my Rolleiflex. Have a 6x6 wall in my office and I want to fill it and I really love the square. To compound things I also have a Xpan and that also hasn't been used this year. Recently bought an RX-1 as well but that is another story:) So am I still using 35mm film, not really.

johnnygoesdigital

For me nothing beats the character or tonality of film. Having up to 16 images (120 MF) on a roll allows one to appreciate and understand the fundamentals of exposure and composition.

Here's some film photos from a Fotoman 612 and Mamiya RZ

Last edited:

trioderob

I disagree completely. I went to digital capture after forty years of shooting film because it was obviously a better medium for my photography ... even the relatively inexpensive fixed-lens digital camera I bought in 2002 out-performed my Leica and Nikon 35mm film cameras, and when I bought a DSLR a year later, I sold my medium format cameras.
then you did not know what you were doing with film.

an image taken with MF 120 blows the doors off a 2013 camera.

a 2002 digital camera was a joke -unless you like images with blown highlights, horid colors, no dynamic range

i have one of the best old digital cameras - a Sigma foveon SD9 and no way is it as good as film

yusuf

I enjoy shooting film, I have a couple of Pentax (MZ-3, ME Super, Super-A, P30N) & Ricoh XR-7 which is having completely mechanical shutter plus Yashica Electro GX RF.

Unfortunately it's becoming more and more difficult to find a good lab at this part of the world as everything is turning digital. Finding a lab for E6 processing is even more difficult.

Weasel_Loader

I'm an SLR guy and although I love the classic looks of RFs, they just don't work for me and my shooting like SLRs do.

I use a Nikon F6 for about 75% of my shooting. The only time I really break out my D700 is when I need high shot counts and indoor low light.

Color is my go-to film and I love just about all the current films. Also have plenty of expired films that I shoot (Provia 400X, and Ektachrome).

Digital is just plain boring for me. You can simulate film with plug-ins, but why fake it if you can still shoot it? Besides, you can't beat the look you get in public when you load film in your camera.:thumbs:

Godfrey

then you did not know what you were doing with film.

an image taken with MF 120 blows the doors off a 2013 camera.

a 2002 digital camera was a joke -unless you like images with blown highlights, horid colors, no dynamic range

i have one of the best old digital cameras - a Sigma foveon SD9 and no way is it as good as film
Well, you're ignorable. Bye.

Godfrey

Went for this morning's walk with the Nikon F and 50/1.2 fitted. A nice old camera, but since playing with the Leicaflex SLs it feels a bit clumsy by comparison. The SL viewfinder is much nicer too.

I'm almost done with the roll, I'll run up to Palo Alto and get it processed (C-41).

I don't shoot film, particularly 35mm film, because I think the quality is all that wonderful. I like it for its defects and the difference it poses from digital capture. The defects often lend charm to a photo, and weirdnesses in film's rendering are often quite nice.

G

Hausen

Well my Arcbody is in for a CLA and my M6 + 28 Summicron will be out for a play over the weekend. Really looking forward to it. Have some PanF 50, 6stop and 10stop ND filter and going for looooong exposures. Man that F6 looks gorgeous above, always wanted one.

bensonga

I use a Nikon F6 for about 75% of my shooting. :thumbs:

I finally pulled the trigger on the purchase of an F6 with MB-40 motor drive (LN- condition). I've been wanting one of these for 3-4 years, ever since I read an article comparing the last (and best?) 35mm film cameras from Canon, Nikon and Leica: the 1VHS, F6 and R9.

I already had the 1VHS, and an R8 (close enough to the R9 for me), so I just "needed" the F6. I have been a Nikon 35mm film shooter for 30+ years (F2 & F3HP), but always with manual focus lenses. Then I got a couple of Nikon DSLRs, AF Nikkors and I bought a F100 and F5 last year. But I kept thinking about the F6, figuring someday, I'd get one.

Well, today was that day. It should arrive here in Alaska next Wednesday.

I sure don't need another camera, let alone another 35mm film camera, but having the "Holy Trinity" from Nikon, Leica and Canon in my hands...that's a good enough reason for me. :D

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Gary, I see no mentioning of an RTS III or maybe a humble RX in your writeup above :ROTFL:

Oh, and congratulations with the F6. It's the best :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've been tempted a time or two to pull the trigger on an F4, 5 or 6 -- or even a crusty old brassed out and dented 3 LOLOL! End of day, if I were going to return to shooting film, I'd make it worth my while and shoot LF, probably 5x7, and mostly B&W. What I really miss about shooting film is large groundglass viewing with focus, tilt and swing adjustments.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have an F6 I take out when I need a fix.
Also a couple of Hassy 500s
-bob