The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you still shooting 35mm film?

4season

Just got a film scanner and I'm in the mood to play! I may want to try a quality film camera like a medium format folder, a panoramic or even a Leica M4-2. But what I mostly want to fuss with are toy cameras such as Konstruktor by Lomography or Last Camera by Superheadz. Or both! So decadent.

Last edited:

Texsport

Having a blast discovering the beauty of CineStill 50, super fine grained daylight and CineStill 800T indoor/night time films

Widelux and Xpan + natural light portraits are spectacular!

Anxiously awaiting new Ferrania film releases.

Texsport

Last edited:

Godfrey

Yes, in small quantities. Have a roll in my M4-2 that is taking forever to finish up at present. I'll pull out the Nikon F afterwards ...

G

bensonga

Finally finished off the roll of HP5 that has been sitting in my Leica R6.2 for almost 2 years.

I don't usually shoot film with an ISO higher than 100, although I guess the film grain looks ok in this shot.

Last edited:

bensonga

I haven't let the fact that I rarely shoot 35mm film anymore deter me from adding this beauty to my Leica SLR collection.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I know what you mean ... I recently gave away a bunch of my film cameras because they're simply not getting used, and others enjoy them. I still have my Hasselblads, Leicaflex SL and M4-2, Nikon F, and a couple of others but most of them might go on the block soon to free up space in my closet. I tend to use the Polaroid SX-70 and its modern MiNT derivatives more than any other film camera now.

Time moves onwards, I guess. I get more photography done in the digital capture world and am more interested in getting photography done than with the ephemera of "enjoying the film experience" or whatever. :D

G

jdphoto

This article says it all for me. http://leicaphilia.com/why-a-mechanical-film-camera-in-a-digital-age/

I just bought a Nikon F2AS and am getting an Leica M2 too. Regardless of what it takes to shoot film, It's inherently more satisfying imo. Kodak has started shipping Ektachrome 100 again to the delight for those who appreciate the character and history of film as an art form. We had friends visiting this summer and their 16 year old daughter brought her Pentax K1000 and several rolls of film. Many have embraced this low tech choice as digital has saturated photography with apps, HDR, and other effects that take the mystery out of the experience. It seems everyone is a master photographer these days. I recently went to a gallery in NB, Canada where gorgeous one of kind oil paintings were selling cheaper than the Photoshopped, digital landscape crap that can be infinitely produced. Where's the intrinsic quality of art in that?
Although, I too, shoot both film and digital it's the former that leaves me feeling like I created something as opposed to just getting something. Shoot film.

Leigh

I shoot film from sub-35mm (Tessina) to 8x10 sheet film.

I shoot digital in full-frame 35mm (Nikon) and MF (Hasselblad).

I feel digital works for "documentation", i.e. recording of events, but film is more "artistic".

- Leigh

4season

It's been almost 4 years since my last post!

In retrospect my film enthusiasm seems to have peaked, and I'm glad that I kept this as a relatively inexpensive sideline. But I'm still having some fun, and given my modest investment, it may be worthwhile for me to hang onto the gear. On the other hand, if my film cameras had significant market value, I might have felt compelled to sell them.

My best not-so-cheap purchase was perhaps the Lomo LCA-120 which makes a fine travel companion, weighing almost nothing.