The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bessa R3A/R4A Build Quality/Durability

T

tonys05

I'm considering the purchase of one of these cameras as a present for my son. Can any of you with experience comment on their build quality relative to Leica/Zeiss Ikon?

thanks in advance,

tny

segedi

This response is a bit late according to the post date, but I have an R4A and used it extensively on a trip to Europe. I got it mainly to use wide lenses and a 21 and 35mm work very nicely on it. Am considering an R3A but can't justify the addition; I already have an MP!

Build Quality: Seems A-OK to me. It's not as solid as a Leica, but it's not a lightweight in build either.

Finder: The wide finder on the R4 is simply awesome - no need for an external finder when mated with my 21mm. The focus patch is fine, not the best I've seen, but no slouch. It does seem to move a bit depending on length of focus. I noticed this when I first looked, but never noticed again.

Film loading: same as most 35mm systems, but amazingly in my experience, I'm better at loading the Leica.

Dials: are perfect and there is a lock for the Aperature priority and it's super easy to do exposure compensation.

I didn't buy the Zeiss Ikon, mainly due to my need for the wide angle, partly due to my cost vs value leanings, and I like the way the Bessa feels in the hand. I also go the grip to match and it just feels great.

I've had no problems with my R4A and recommend it.

K

dseelig

The bessa are loud sometimes you can find and old M for the 500 dollar range. I would go with that over a bessa