Site Sponsors

Thread: 120 Film

Ronan

120 Film

Lets talk 120 film

I'm wondering what you gents use and for what type of photography?

I'm thinking velvia 50 for landscape, but its $20 a pop here...

I'm also a big, big B&W lover.

If i could see some scan examples, it would be great

Targets: Landscape and Nightlife.
    I would get the film drum scan after.

Thanks!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 120 Film

TSA agents will not allow film here. Sorry

Just kidding
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Just kidding
    I thought that the T&A agents had turned their attention to other things
    -bob

Ronan

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Just kidding
    I'm pretty exhausted... so your joke flew right over my head :sleep006:

TSA?

tetsrfun

You are likely to get more help by posting in the Analog Camera section..."More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M"

The folks living down there in film section got be back into 120/220 film and home B & W developing and scanning and...and...

Steve

Steve

Ronan

Ok...could a moderator move this to the analog section? Or is it alright to repost there?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    I'm pretty exhausted... so your joke flew right over my head :sleep006:

TSA?
    Transportation Security Administration ... US government agency that checks everyone getting on a plane ...

they might let you take film on a plane, but might make you unroll it just to make sure it isn't an explosive device - jk
    wayne
    My gallery

Ronan

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Transportation Security Administration ... US government agency that checks everyone getting on a plane ...

they might let you take film on a plane, but might make you unroll it just to make sure it isn't an explosive device - jk
    Ohhh well iv had them take my bottle of water and toothpaste away...

Ronan

So i have:

Ektar 100 = Colored Landscape
    kodak Tmax 400 = Fast B&W for my nightlife

Anything else i should try? I keep reading about velvia 50, but so far no one mentioned it. How come?

Also, is the TMAX400 fast enough for handheld city nightlife?

Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kodak is about to come out with Portra 160. There is a lot of interest in the new Portra 400 (which has been out a few months). It is causing quite a stir because it has fine grain and can be underexposed 2 stops without introducing problems (I'm told...just loaded my first roll in my M6). The new 160 sounds very interesting for landscapes, so keep your eye out for more news on it as it gets out into the market.

Post Thanks / Like

For hand-held B&W, it's Tri-X all the way for me. For color neg, it would be Portra 400 for hand-held, Portra 160 for tripod-based use. Ektar 100 is a bit on the punchy and unsubtle side for me. I don't use transparency film at all - the dynamic range and exposure latitude are far too limited for my taste.

But IMO medium format really isn't well suited to hand-held nightlife, unless you don't mind throwing away shadow detail and pushing hard in development. Even then, it's difficult. With faster lenses, shorter focal lengths, and greater DOF, 35mm allows a lot more maneuvering room under what will often be very challenging conditions.

If you have your heart set on trying medium format for nightlife, you might try a few rolls of Delta 3200. Its true speed is more like 800, but some feel that it handles pushing more robustly than the ISO 400 films.

Ronan

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Kodak is about to come out with Portra 160. There is a lot of interest in the new Portra 400 (which has been out a few months). It is causing quite a stir because it has fine grain and can be underexposed 2 stops without introducing problems (I'm told...just loaded my first roll in my M6). The new 160 sounds very interesting for landscapes, so keep your eye out for more news on it as it gets out into the market.
    Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye out for it

Post Thanks / Like

'Course, there's always flash, if you want to play the paparazzo to the hilt...

Post Thanks / Like

So i have:

Ektar 100 = Colored Landscape
    kodak Tmax 400 = Fast B&W for my nightlife

Anything else i should try? I keep reading about velvia 50, but so far no one mentioned it. How come?

Also, is the TMAX400 fast enough for handheld city nightlife?

Thank You
    Sorry to come late to the party .

I dare say Velvia 50 is by far the most legendary slide film for landscapes, and for reason. This is the one film I still use, albeit now only in 4x5. Jack Dykinga and others used this film.

If you try one film for landscapes, do try Velvia 50 --- it is MAGIC . Try it on wet rocks at a waterfall or stream in shadow and find how it pleasingly enhance and bring out colors that you did not even observe being there. Try it in golden hour light of landscape with vegetation and see landscapes transformed and interpreted pleasingly, or simply in soft good light... it enhances in the most pleasing way. However, it is not for portrait per say, except... I have nice color rendition on photo of bushman in Botswana or traditional dressed girl in remote areas of China... thanks to Velvia 50...

When will they make a digital back with Velvia's pleasing rendition naturally available at defaults????

However Velvia 100 is not same.

If you pick only one roll of film, for (landscapes) I recommend Velvia 50.

For portrait? Provia 100. See? Two films; makes simple. Or add one more for B&W.

Regards
    Anders

Ronan

Ah well good thing i'm picking a pack of velvia 50 tomorrow... I keep hearing wonders about it so i just have to try it.

They go for around $50 + taxes for a pack here, is that a good price?

I have seen some stores ask for +$75 + taxes...

tetsrfun

Ah well good thing i'm picking a pack of velvia 50 tomorrow... I keep hearing wonders about it so i just have to try it.

They go for around $50 + taxes for a pack here, is that a good price?

I have seen some stores ask for +$75 + taxes...
    US prices... $24.99/5 pack at Freestyle and ~$29.95 at B & H.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I generally shoot Ektar 100 for color negs and Delta 400 for B&W in my Fuji GW690III.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought many different films just to see each results, i liked Ektar on some shots, Reala on another , Velvia 50 my favorite but still not all shots i liked, also with B&W i liked Acros most and FP4+ and PanF+ for slow films, and HP5+ and Tri-X for medium and a bit fast films, i will test more films later.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

I use Velvia 100 for landscape and Astia 100F. Provia 400X is great too. You get the colours of Velvia combined with (nearly) the latitude of Astia and three times the speed on top of it all.
    For B/W I like FP4+ and HP5+ in Perceptol.

Ronan

Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    I use Velvia 100 for landscape and Astia 100F. Provia 400X is great too. You get the colours of Velvia combined with (nearly) the latitude of Astia and three times the speed on top of it all.
    For B/W I like FP4+ and HP5+ in Perceptol.
    Yes, i was thinking Velvia 50 for landscape, and when it gets darker, using Provia 400x.

For B/W a lot of people talk about FP4+. So i think i'll give that one a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, i was thinking Velvia 50 for landscape, and when it gets darker, using Provia 400x.

For B/W a lot of people talk about FP4+. So i think i'll give that one a try.
    Provia 400X is good, but cost more... not the cooler slight bluishness of Provia 100, but not saturation and color shift of Velvia 50.

tokengirl

For B&W film, it sort of depends on how you plan on developing it. Are you developing it yourself? What developer? Or, if you're taking it to a lab, what developer are they using?

Ronan

Not developing myself, don't have the room anymore, already got a workbench for my prop making hobby, another workbench for my model kit hobby, don't have room for another one for developing

So it will be done at labs, idk which one, been looking for good one's for the past couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

For medium format, I use a Yashica D twin lens reflex and a Koni Omega Rapid 6x7 rangefinder. I shoot mainly one thing with 120 - landscapes. Preferred film of choice is Velvia 50. Though Provia 100F is very nice too.

The image below was shot with the Koni Omega Rapid. Film stock was Velvia 100 (I would have preferred the 50 but the original version was discontinued around this time.)

[IMG][/IMG]

I submitted a 20 x 30 inch print of this image to an exhibition and it won Second Prize in it's category, and also sold. A pleasant surprise - I certainly didn't see that one coming.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to like negative film better for positive when it comes to scanning. I've had a hard time with the latter. Latitude fo neg film and scanability really make things easier for me.

Portra 160VC (I have 10 rolls of the new 160 on the way!), Hasselblad 503CW with 80mm CB and extension tube.

Ektar 100, Bronica RF645, 65mm lens.

Kevin
    flickr

nacspics

Quote Originally Posted by tribal-warrior View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

I submitted a 20 x 30 inch print of this image to an exhibition and it won Second Prize in it's category, and also sold. A pleasant surprise - I certainly didn't see that one coming.
    Wow, what shot. This detail is fantastic.
    Congratulations for the prize.