The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

120 Film

R

Ronan

Lets talk 120 film ;)

I'm wondering what you gents use and for what type of photography?

I'm thinking velvia 50 for landscape, but its $20 a pop here...

I'm also a big, big B&W lover.

If i could see some scan examples, it would be great :)

Targets: Landscape and Nightlife.
I would get the film drum scan after.

Thanks!

T

tetsrfun

You are likely to get more help by posting in the Analog Camera section..."More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M"

The folks living down there in film section got be back into 120/220 film and home B & W developing and scanning and...and...

Steve

Steve

R

Ronan

Ok...could a moderator move this to the analog section? Or is it alright to repost there?

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I'm pretty exhausted... so your joke flew right over my head :sleep006:

TSA? :eek:
Transportation Security Administration ... US government agency that checks everyone getting on a plane ...

they might let you take film on a plane, but might make you unroll it just to make sure it isn't an explosive device :) - jk

R

Ronan

Transportation Security Administration ... US government agency that checks everyone getting on a plane ...

they might let you take film on a plane, but might make you unroll it just to make sure it isn't an explosive device :) - jk
Ohhh well iv had them take my bottle of water and toothpaste away... :(

R

Ronan

So i have:

Ektar 100 = Colored Landscape
kodak Tmax 400 = Fast B&W for my nightlife

Anything else i should try? I keep reading about velvia 50, but so far no one mentioned it. How come?

Also, is the TMAX400 fast enough for handheld city nightlife?

Thank You :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Kodak is about to come out with Portra 160. There is a lot of interest in the new Portra 400 (which has been out a few months). It is causing quite a stir because it has fine grain and can be underexposed 2 stops without introducing problems (I'm told...just loaded my first roll in my M6). The new 160 sounds very interesting for landscapes, so keep your eye out for more news on it as it gets out into the market.

Oren Grad

For hand-held B&W, it's Tri-X all the way for me. For color neg, it would be Portra 400 for hand-held, Portra 160 for tripod-based use. Ektar 100 is a bit on the punchy and unsubtle side for me. I don't use transparency film at all - the dynamic range and exposure latitude are far too limited for my taste.

But IMO medium format really isn't well suited to hand-held nightlife, unless you don't mind throwing away shadow detail and pushing hard in development. Even then, it's difficult. With faster lenses, shorter focal lengths, and greater DOF, 35mm allows a lot more maneuvering room under what will often be very challenging conditions.

If you have your heart set on trying medium format for nightlife, you might try a few rolls of Delta 3200. Its true speed is more like 800, but some feel that it handles pushing more robustly than the ISO 400 films.

R

Ronan

Kodak is about to come out with Portra 160. There is a lot of interest in the new Portra 400 (which has been out a few months). It is causing quite a stir because it has fine grain and can be underexposed 2 stops without introducing problems (I'm told...just loaded my first roll in my M6). The new 160 sounds very interesting for landscapes, so keep your eye out for more news on it as it gets out into the market.
Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye out for it :)

Anders_HK

So i have:

Ektar 100 = Colored Landscape
kodak Tmax 400 = Fast B&W for my nightlife

Anything else i should try? I keep reading about velvia 50, but so far no one mentioned it. How come?

Also, is the TMAX400 fast enough for handheld city nightlife?

Thank You :)
Sorry to come late to the party :D.

I dare say Velvia 50 is by far the most legendary slide film for landscapes, and for reason. This is the one film I still use, albeit now only in 4x5. Jack Dykinga and others used this film.

If you try one film for landscapes, do try Velvia 50 --- it is MAGIC :cool:. Try it on wet rocks at a waterfall or stream in shadow and find how it pleasingly enhance and bring out colors that you did not even observe being there. Try it in golden hour light of landscape with vegetation and see landscapes transformed and interpreted pleasingly, or simply in soft good light... it enhances in the most pleasing way. However, it is not for portrait per say, except... I have nice color rendition on photo of bushman in Botswana or traditional dressed girl in remote areas of China... thanks to Velvia 50... :p

When will they make a digital back with Velvia's pleasing rendition naturally available at defaults????

However Velvia 100 is not same.

If you pick only one roll of film, for (landscapes) I recommend Velvia 50.

For portrait? Provia 100. See? Two films; makes simple. Or add one more for B&W. :)

Regards
Anders

R

Ronan

Ah well good thing i'm picking a pack of velvia 50 tomorrow... I keep hearing wonders about it so i just have to try it.

They go for around $50 + taxes for a pack here, is that a good price?

I have seen some stores ask for +$75 + taxes...

T

tetsrfun

Ah well good thing i'm picking a pack of velvia 50 tomorrow... I keep hearing wonders about it so i just have to try it.

They go for around $50 + taxes for a pack here, is that a good price?

I have seen some stores ask for +$75 + taxes...
US prices... $24.99/5 pack at Freestyle and ~$29.95 at B & H.

Steve

Professional

I bought many different films just to see each results, i liked Ektar on some shots, Reala on another , Velvia 50 my favorite but still not all shots i liked, also with B&W i liked Acros most and FP4+ and PanF+ for slow films, and HP5+ and Tri-X for medium and a bit fast films, i will test more films later.

I use Velvia 100 for landscape and Astia 100F. Provia 400X is great too. You get the colours of Velvia combined with (nearly) the latitude of Astia and three times the speed on top of it all.
For B/W I like FP4+ and HP5+ in Perceptol.

R

Ronan

I use Velvia 100 for landscape and Astia 100F. Provia 400X is great too. You get the colours of Velvia combined with (nearly) the latitude of Astia and three times the speed on top of it all.
For B/W I like FP4+ and HP5+ in Perceptol.
Yes, i was thinking Velvia 50 for landscape, and when it gets darker, using Provia 400x.

For B/W a lot of people talk about FP4+. So i think i'll give that one a try.