The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 500 C/M untouched for 15 years

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I picked up my late mother-in-law's 500 C/M, unused since the 1990s. After perusing online manuals, I figured out how to work it, but the metal slide between the film and the shutter came out covered in black goo and a piece of sticky black tape came out of the film back with it. I assume that this was part of the light-proofing around the slot.

Is this easily repairable? I figure the camera needs a good CLA. (And the Gossen Luna-pro needs new batteries...).

Thanks,

Matt

atanabe

Matt,
The black tape that came out with the darkslide is indeed the light trap. It is a fairly easy fix if you have basic small tool skills plus a new light trap. Or you can send the camera to Hasselblad USA and they can do the CLA for you. They currently have a special "Check to Spec" service for V system cameras for $99. They can replace the light trap for an additional $30 and lens main spring for $60 at the time of inspection. Not a bad deal and if the camera has not been used it should get a good going over. Here is the link to their offer:

http://hasselbladusa.com/media/1621347/check_to_spec_update.pdf

There are other repair places aside from Hasselblad that can perform the service as well.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Several local photogs suggested Nippon Photo Clinic in town, so I brought it to them and got it back yesterday. :cool: The second roll is drying. Perhaps a tribute to the Pentax 645 lenses, but with my questionable skills, and scanned at 2400 dpi, they look mighty similar. (On a flatbed, is there anything to be gained by a higher dpi?) On the other hand, walking around looking at that world projected on that ground glass is intoxicating. :thumbs: I never get as good a sense of what the photo will look like through an eye level viewfinder.

Pictures to come...

Matt