Site Sponsors

Thread: 100 year old colour photography of the Russian Empire

Post Thanks / Like

100 year old colour photography of the Russian Empire

Not sure if this has been posted here before or not. This is a series of colour photographs taken a century ago by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii. Using black and white glass negatives, he photographed a scene three times, using red, blue and green filters for the three exposures. Positive transparencies were made from the negatives and projected with the same colour filters. When the three images were aligned on the screen, a single colour image was formed.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...ntury_ago.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 100 year old colour photography of the Russian Empire

Quote Originally Posted by tribal-warrior View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted here before or not. This is a series of colour photographs taken a century ago by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii. Using black and white glass negatives, he photographed a scene three times, using red, blue and green filters for the three exposures. Positive transparencies were made from the negatives and projected with the same colour filters. When the three images were aligned on the screen, a single colour image was formed.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...ntury_ago.html
    Thanks for sharing !!

I must say WOW ! Glad to see people and things in colour in the past century ! Never really seen any photo which is a century back in colour !! I'm really amazed by it's quality and the true colour ! They are really popping out !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edftwin View Post
    Thanks for sharing !!
    I'm really amazed by it's quality and the true colour ! They are really popping out !
    Yea, those colours almost look three dimensional. I'm actually inspired to try this same technique myself and see if I can get that sort of 'look.' Ive already got a red filter and Ive just ordered a blue and green filter from eBay, along with some Ilford film. Creating colour the old fashioned way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tribal-warrior View Post
    Yea, those colours almost look three dimensional. I'm actually inspired to try this same technique myself and see if I can get that sort of 'look.' Ive already got a red filter and Ive just ordered a blue and green filter from eBay, along with some Ilford film. Creating colour the old fashioned way!
    Wow, hope you can post some photos here when you are done ! Can't wait to see !

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't find the adjectives to describe what those pictures do for me. It makes history real, scarily real. An incredible eye opener.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link to the article. Great to read about a piece of photography history as well as a take a look at life in color of pre-revolotion Russia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I enjoyed the photos for their beauty and history. I can't imagine how hard it was to take 3 exposures of human subjects and have them register perfectly. I noticed that there were some registration problems on the moving water on one, but overall, the technique really worked well. Tribal-warrior, I will be looking forward to hearing how your experiment works out.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting. I had seen that previously but it is always worth another look.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just like travelling back in time with a time machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Tribal-warrior, I will be looking forward to hearing how your experiment works out.
    I'll keep you updated. Actually, I have been shooting the tri-colour images over the last two days with some Ilford FP4. I know I'm a sucker for punishment but Ive been using screw-in filters (really testing the steadiness of my hands when adding and removing these filters.)

Post Thanks / Like

That's great... this has to be, by far, the furthest back I've seen anything in color...and it is eye opening. People don't seem as ancient in color as they do in B&W.