The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and More film fun with screw-mount Barnacks, Feds and others

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I thought that we should have a thread dedicated to screw-mount cameras since there are several people posting who use them regularly. Please join in if you have a Barnack, or a Fed, or other old rangefinder.

I took these photos this week after getting my IIIg back from a CLA. I used a 1937 Contax Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar (mounted in a J-3 body. The conversion was done by Brian Sweeney.)
Bird Whisperer- She did have bread on her, but she was talking to the birds and they flocked to her.:D

From the London Bridge in Lake Havasu, AZ

Yuri

Cindy, I share your love for the old rangefinder and a pleasure to join the new thread. In October 2011y, I placed the portraits of their rangefinders with a desire to write a post soon. But the variety of life's conflicts have left no time even for that. As a result of my next bad luck (I have broken a hand) has appeared a few time. Soviet FED, Zorki range finders, with me since an early youth. Years 8-10 back, as a result of exchanges and assemblies of two or three defective one working camera appeared on the photo. All of them had an adjustment error. Some time ago, I have made equipment for an adjustment of range finders. At this time adjustment Zorki, Zorki 4, Zorki 4К and all lenses 50mm.
On turn the “Friend”, 85mm, 35mm.
1. My Vintage “Friends”.

2. The camera, the ”Friend ” was issued с1960y по1962y. Has the mechanism of a shutter on four rollers essentially distinct from shutters of all Soviet range finders and a lever platoon

Most often used in rangefinders on vacation with his family. Here are a few photos for many years
3. Elena had just finished knitting slippers for the unborn Evgeny. 1986y. Jupiter 12, FED 3, Type-22 air film, developer glycine porridge.

4. Тhree years later. Elena, Evgeny and my shoes. Jupiter 12, fed 3, KN-3, D76.

5. Many years later. Time hobbies Evgenia music. Jupiter 9, the “Friend”.

6. Many years later. .Jan 2011г. My grandson Román with his mum Anna at railway station in Chelyabinsk travel from Piterburga in Miass. Román speaking by telephone with grandmother Elena. At this time baby was 2 years. Jupiter 8, “Friend”, Fuji Xtra 400.

Thank you for your attention. Yuri.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yuri, Welcome. So glad to have you join the thread. It is wonderful to see your journey through life with your rangefinders and beautiful family. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Yuri

Thanks, Leif,Cindy! I look forward to the active development of this stream. In turn, I will try to post more often here the results of games with range finders.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yuri,
Thank you for joining in. I have come back to this thread and looked at your photos a couple of more times. They are really heartwarming.

Yuri

Cindy glad that you liked the photos. Apparently the heat stored in the family is manifested in the photo.
Yuri.

Braeside

I bought an old FED-3A with an Industar 61 L/D lens, mainly for the lens, but thought I would like to test the camera after doing a CLA on the lens myself.

I had some out of date ISO 200 colour print film in the fridge, so ran it through the camera. Only place locally I could get it developed was Boots (my dev tank is broken unfortunately and Boots don't process silver halide any more).

Results were 'mixed' shall we say. :eek: There is a light leak somewhere along the top edge of the camera back I think, so some of the frames were partially affected by this, depending on how long the camera had been left on one frame and how sunny it was.

The lens appears sharper at one side than the other, I must test it on my GXR to see if it the lens or the camera mount.

The scanning by Boots was pretty poor, but as the film was well out of date I should not complain.

I converted some to B&W from the CD of Boots scans and have put them on Flickr:

Kinghorn by Braeside, on Flickr

Enter at your own risk by Braeside, on Flickr

Tide is out by Braeside, on Flickr

Hands up by Braeside, on Flickr

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Braeside, I'll take these any day over the results of the latest and greatest...they have character! "Enter at your own risk" is my favorite, but I like them all. Please keep them coming.
"Hands up" is kind of scary! What's up with that?

Braeside

Hi Cindy!

The "Hand's up" one gave me a fright at the time, it is a pair of rubber gloves stuck on the top of a ladder which is coming up from the harbour - Like you probably did, I thought there was someone there!

Braeside

I forgot to mention, I cheated and used my iPhone as a light meter for some of them, but I could have guessed from the sunny 16 rule for most. Quite a lot of fun.

I have attempted to seal the light leak today, and also 'painted' the cloth shutter blind where it was a little worn and may have been leaky, though I saw no sign of this on the test roll.

Have put in a roll of new C41 B&W Kodak ISO 400 and will test that and see if it is improved or not.

If I get the camera working 100% I may look for a developer tank to process real B&W film (I have a film scanner of sorts as well). No wet darkroom these days though.

Actually this FED-3 Rangefinder is probably an easier camera to use than my first 35mm camera which was a Halina Paulette which had no rangefinder, you had to scale focus and guess the exposure or use a meter, and I got some nice shots with that even with slide film. (This was about 1965 or so...) Prior to that I used a 120 roll film Voigtlander Bessa folding camera belonging to my Grandad (1930's). Must try and find some of the negs to try and scan.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
David, I don't consider using a meter cheating.:D I have shot without a meter and it is fun to pull it off. I think it gets hard for me indoors. Outside, I'm pretty good. Now that I have a meter on my iPhone, I'm never without one.

Braeside

Yes Cindy, the iPhone is pretty good as a light meter, so much so that I am not going to get my old Weston meter repaired (the selenium cell has gone and it was going to cost about as much to repair it as it would to pick up a new one on the auction site).

Have another roll of film in the FED-3 today but it will be a few days at this rate to finish it and then get it processed. I do take quite a lot fewer photos with the film camera than I would on digital which is probably a good thing!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Colyn, I really appreciate the texture and beauty of this photo. I think the sepia treatment really works well with the angel statue subject.

My little iiig is sitting on top of my desk with her Summitar lens on, staring at me. I have neglected her for a while and your photo has just inspired me to take her out this week.

colyn

Thanks Cindy
This camera just got new curtains and is working flawlessly.

You should take out the IIIg. It is a fine camera. I sold mine awhile back but wish I still had it..