Site Sponsors

Thread: Best M-mount Camera Under $600?

amyukie

Wink Best M-mount Camera Under $600?

What is the best M-mount film camera under $600 you guys think? I've had M6 in the past and I'm currently trading my M7 with a Cron 35/2 ASPH (my dream lens ). So I'm looking for a replacement which doesn't cost a kidney.

I'm open to all suggestions, whether full mechanical/electronic, AE/Not, Meter/No-meter, Leica/Not

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best M-mount Camera Under $600?

Hexar RF - auto everything, 1/4000th top speed, easy loading, solid build and great for 35mm FL.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

CLE if you like 28 frames, or 40. AE, small, easy load.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

i prefer the original Leica CL over the CLE, and you can find very nice ones for around $400-600 if you're patient. i like the controls on the CL particularly, and the fact that it's a completely mechanical camera.

BTW, my very nice M4-2 cost me $820, including a service trip to CLA and recalibrate the rangefinder. For the extra couple hundred dollars, I'd recommend something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    BTW, my very nice M4-2 cost me $820, including a service trip to CLA and recalibrate the rangefinder. For the extra couple hundred dollars, I'd recommend something like that.
    +1. A beat-up M4-2 is one of my comfortable-old-shoe cameras. A CLA by Sherry was all it needed to be good for another 25 years.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer the film load on a CLE over the CL. And the Hexar RF is even easier. The main bugaboo I have with M cameras is the loading...the M series separate baseplate, or in the case of the CL the entire back comes off.

That said, if you are patient you can find pretty much any M for under $600. I got this M4 and sent it to Gus Lazarri for a CLA. My net cost was $350 (yes, including CLA) and it's essentially as-new. 1969 model. I had him trick it out with some black parts.

amyukie

Hi guys, thanks for your inputs. I'm still not sure what I want. I really want M body but it is expensive to get one in a decent shape. Btw, that M4 is f-ing beautiful!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow! Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I much prefer the film load on a CLE over the CL. And the Hexar RF is even easier. The main bugaboo I have with M cameras is the loading...the M series separate baseplate, or in the case of the CL the entire back comes off.

That said, if you are patient you can find pretty much any M for under $600. I got this M4 and sent it to Gus Lazarri for a CLA. My net cost was $350 (yes, including CLA) and it's essentially as-new. 1969 model. I had him trick it out with some black parts.

Post Thanks / Like

This CLE was $600.

28_Elmarit_ASPH_CLE by wjlapier, on Flickr

284_Perar_CLE by wjlapier, on Flickr