The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the best colour landscape film?

Chris Giles

That's still available that is?

When I shoot landscapes I often shoot digital first to gauge exposure and then pop the film back on and take the shot, often braketting the shots. (In medium format).

I'd like low noise negative film. Currently I use Ektar. Something that is correct for it's ISO though, doing maths at -5 isn't easy.

Last edited:

pfigen

If the scene can handle it, then Velvia 50 is outstanding. If contrast is a problem, then Ektar 100 is very very good, but still a couple of notches down from Velvia in the crispness department. I just shot a couple of rolls of Ektar in the Fuji617 and really liked the results. It also drum scanned very easily and well.

dmeckert

velvia 50 is the classic answer to this question.

ektar 100 is the current cream of the crop all around color film. when it's good, it's very very good. i've found it goes a horrible blue color if underexposed. not sure you'll find a "better" low grain color negative film.

if you can find it, and don't mind expired, ektachrome 100SW is amazingly beautiful as well.