The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with a TLR and 2 Soviet rangefinders!

camperbc

I had an interesting little adventure yesterday. It was my first real outing with my cameras since last February, due to my spinal issues. (bedridden most of the time) And my very first time shooting with either a TLR or a FSU rangefinder! I had an absolutely wonderful time, and although my spine is paying a heavy price at the moment, it was definitely worth the consequences; in fact I'm hoping to get back out again after a couple more days of bed rest.

I brought along three vintage cameras; my lovely Yashica 635, and equally flawless Zorki-4 and FED 2. Hopefully I got some nice results to show for my efforts. I was shooting Ilford Delta 100 in all three cameras. I am really excited that I am about to develop my first rolls of film in 35 years! My developing supplies arrived in yesterday's mail, so my next big project is to (attempt to) develop three rolls of film.

Using the Yashica 635 is an absolute delight! The large, clear viewfinder is like looking at a TV screen. I really enjoyed getting back to the real basics of photography; meticulously planning out each shot, calculating the correct exposure using the "sunny 16" rule, (and confirming with my "Leningrad 7" light meter) trying to remember to advance the film prior to taking another shot; though I'm sure I goofed a couple of times and made double exposures! This camera created quite a stir wherever I went. I was at Sandy Cove Beach near the historic town of Tilting, and tourists were coming up to me to see my 635, and to ask endless silly questions like "is that digital?", does it have autofocus?", "is it auto exposure?", "what did you pay for it?", "can I hold it?", is that other one a Leica?", etc, etc. One middle-aged guy actually said "Yo dude, that Yashica's totally rad, man". Yikes. I kid you not.

I kept forgetting things, but I think it will just take a bit of time to get back into the swing of film shooting. I was laying in bed at 4AM when it suddenly hit me that I had forgotten to put the lens hood on, so I'm likely going to see some flare issues. So much to think about, when I am not used to having to be so meticulous; we really have gotten spoiled with digital photography... take a gazillion shots and we're bound to get a few keepers!

So that's what I've been up to; out enjoying the gorgeous summer weather for the first time in a very long time. The next two days are looking a bit wet, so it might be a good opportunity to jump into developing the film. I don't have a completely darkened room in our house, so I will try to block off the window in the sewing room, and attempt to load the film onto the reels, possibly under a blanket or something, to play it safe. I'm a bit nervous about blindly getting the film onto the reels, but after that it should be smooth sailing. I just ordered my Epson V600 scanner, so hopefully by next week at this time I'll have some results from my beloved Yashica 635, Zorki-4 and FED 2 to post here!

Glen

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Glen,
It sounds like it was good for the soul to just get out and shoot some film. I'll be looking forward to an update on your film adventure.

biglouis

Glen

Sympathies about the back. As a fellow sufferer (although not as chronic as it sounds that you are) I hope you feel better soon. I returned to film, via MF Hasselblad and Fuji bodies last year. A very satisfying way to pursue your photographic interests. You are really challenging yourself rather than letting the equipment make the decisions.

Please post the results - I am intrigued by all 3 cameras you mention but as of yet have not been seduced into trying a TLR.

LouisB