The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

m_driscoll

First rolls of film back. It's a humbling experience for a pixel peeper with an M9. A reminder that photography is more then resolution and sharpness. The PP is also quite different. Here's a few from the first roll. These were taken in front of my office (a place I've stalked with the M9). M7, 50mm Summilux-M f/1.4, Ilford HP5 Plus. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
She's Quite A Looker Cindy!:)
Steve and Matt, She is isn't she? She spent most of her life as a "shelf queen". I've put her to work, but she is still lovely.

Matt, I really like all of these. The photo of the "Teak Bird" is an example of why I love film so much. The tones are just wonderful.

Maggie O

Gorgeous stuff, Matt!! I concur with Cindy on the Teak Bird photo- fabbo tones!! One of them looks a bit like a platinum print, too. Yum!

Here's a couple of critter shots from the M4-P/Jupiter-8:

Scooter On The Chillin' Couch, April, 2010

I'm not sure why exactly, but that photo makes me think of 1970's fashion photos.

At The Back Door, April, 2010

Shot on "ShurFine 400" film (made in Japan; Fuji something?), processed and scanned at the nearest Walgreens, tweaked in Lightzone.

m_driscoll

Gorgeous stuff, Matt!! I concur with Cindy on the Teak Bird photo- fabbo tones!! One of them looks a bit like a platinum print, too. Yum!

I'm not sure why exactly, but that photo makes me think of 1970's fashion photos.

Shot on "ShurFine 400" film (made in Japan; Fuji something?), processed and scanned at the nearest Walgreens, tweaked in Lightzone.
Maggie: Thanks. These "critter" OCP's are really nice the IQ and color of that first one is exceptional. Great! It is sort of a "Vogue" photo. One of the things that I'm trying to figure out is how to be true to the characteristics of the film.

Cheers, Matt

shtarka1

Matt, it certainly is a different palette to paint on. Very distinct look & feel. Well you get an A+ for your first few days on the job! A lot of favorites here for me but the one that stands out is the B&W Tulips shot! Super Job! Looking forward to more...:)

shtarka1

At The Back Door, April, 2010

Love these!

Maggie O

Thanks, Steve & Matt!

Matt, what's "OPC?"

Oh, and does Seattle actually have a heroic statue of Lenin? :eek::bugeyes:

Here's a few more shots from the M4-P, again with the Jupiter-8, the ISO 400 ShurFine film and a Walgreens' scan:

Watching An Excavator, April, 2010

Fly Bucket And Excavator, April, 2010

Koi Pond Waterfall, April, 2010

Mirror Hatrack, April, 2010

Dad At The Kitchen Window, April, 2010

m_driscoll

Matt, it certainly is a different palette to paint on. Very distinct look & feel. Well you get an A+ for your first few days on the job! A lot of favorites here for me but the one that stands out is the B&W Tulips shot! Super Job! Looking forward to more...:)
Steve: Thanks. It is quite different then shooting digital. Less opportunity to "fix" in PP. This was an hour walk outside my office door. I'll keep working on it. Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

Thanks, Steve & Matt!

Matt, what's "OPC?"

Oh, and does Seattle actually have a heroic statue of Lenin? :eek::bugeyes:

Here's a few more shots from the M4-P, again with the Jupiter-8, the ISO 400 ShurFine film and a Walgreens' scan:

Koi Pond Waterfall, April, 2010

Dad At The Kitchen Window, April, 2010
Maggie: "OCP" means "Obligatory Cat Photos". I have a folder of some of mine on my Zenfolio site (also, ODP folder). How could you not photograph your cat?

These are really nice. I'm going to check out my Walgreen's today. Great portrait of your dad. The PP on all of these is very nice. Don't you have critters that eat the Koi? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Matt

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Matt, You, Steve and Maggie are really putting some energy into this thread!:thumbs: I can't pick a favorite, there are so many. I do like the reflection window...I guess you got a surprise there.

Maggie, Your photos of your Dad are really special. I can see the bond between the two of you reflected in the photos.

I get my 35mm developed at my Walgreens. I send my 120 off to a lab. I can see the difference in the cleanliness of the film. I have to do more cleanup work on the Walgreens. I guess it depends on who is operating the equipment at your local Walgreens. The scans from my Walgreens were over-sharpened so I had to move to my own scanner....but scanning can be a PITA.

Maggie O

Maggie: "OCP" means "Obligatory Cat Photos". I have a folder of some of mine on my Zenfolio site (also, ODP folder). How could you not photograph your cat?

These are really nice. I'm going to check out my Walgreen's today. Great portrait of your dad. The PP on all of these is very nice. Don't you have critters that eat the Koi? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Matt

Ah OCP! Of course! :toocool:

Thanks, Matt. The scans from Walgreens aren't the greatest- they're small-ish .jpgs that, like Cindy says, are over-sharpened. I've had to massage all of them quite a bit in LightZone or iPhoto to get them close to something that I think looks good. I've got a bunch of black and white film that I need to develop and then I guess I should get my scanner out of storage and fire it up, too. There's so much more work to bring film photos to an audience, isn't it?

Oh, and the koi pond isn't at my house, it's in the neighborhood, backing into the commons where I walk the dog. So, no worries about Bob or Scooter getting after the fish and the dog has no interest in them!

m_driscoll

Ah OCP! Of course! :toocool:

Thanks, Matt. The scans from Walgreens aren't the greatest- they're small-ish .jpgs that, like Cindy says, are over-sharpened. I've had to massage all of them quite a bit in LightZone or iPhoto to get them close to something that I think looks good. I've got a bunch of black and white film that I need to develop and then I guess I should get my scanner out of storage and fire it up, too. There's so much more work to bring film photos to an audience, isn't it?

Oh, and the koi pond isn't at my house, it's in the neighborhood, backing into the commons where I walk the dog. So, no worries about Bob or Scooter getting after the fish and the dog has no interest in them!
Maggie: Definitely more work! I took a roll into Walgreen's this afternoon. The scans, as you say are smallish. I'm going to run some of them through my scanner and see what I get. You could think of them as a digital contact sheet. $7 for develop and scan in 1 hr. is hard to beat. The important thing is the negative.

I forgot to answer you question about the Lenin statue. I guess when the "iron curtain" fell they were cheap. Someone brought it over here to stand in the "People's Commune of Fremont" (Fremont Neighborhood in Seattle; home of Adobe). Now, I think they call themselves the "Center of the Universe". I live one neighborhood to the East.

Cheers, Matt

Maggie O

I forgot to answer you question about the Lenin statue. I guess when the "iron curtain" fell they were cheap. Someone brought it over here to stand in the "People's Commune of Fremont" (Fremont Neighborhood in Seattle; home of Adobe). Now, I think they call themselves the "Center of the Universe". I live one neighborhood to the East.
Ha! I love it! Wish I'd been able to get one for myself!