The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Woo hoo Helen! The painted lady (?) is great. I count at least 8 people with cameras on the other side of the street. Cool.

Stuart Richardson

your profile says south Florida, but that last one looks just like sixth ave and 19th street! Been in the photo district lately? Lovely work with the 21 lux...a very cool lens.

helenhill

RICCIS: Love the shot & Movement of the Old Man
it Looks around 20th Street & Park Avenue to me...:D

one around the Pond / 35 pre asph lux /M4
& the other 35 cron / M4

Last edited:

Riccis

Stuart - I live in Miami but the world is my playground :D I've been to the city documenting weddings twice in the past month.

Marc - A film M is definitely a must for documentary style. I must warn you as you may get rid of all digital cameras, though :)

Helen - Thanks! I can't remember where I snapped it but you may be right.

sizifo

Central bus station in Isfahan,Iran. M4-2/50mm/Tmax400.

While this is a very good photo, I have noticed one trend in your Iran series, if you don't mind me saying. In most photos people are photographed from the back. The undoubted talent as a portrait photographer, that we've become so accustomed with in your family series, then doesn't come across.

Is the observation that you were not comfortable photographing people in iran a fair one?

emmawest72

Sizifo,

Good observation. I did realize the same thing once I had developed all my films. For some reason I never felt comfortable enough to engage people in portraits. Maybe it was the language or the difference in culture. To be honest I'm still trying to understand my feelings about the country.
I did try a few times but I mostly got people making funny faces as the enjoyed the presence of a foreigner in their country. I wold have loved to photograph a lot of women over there but I knew and was also told that is is a total no-go as it is forbidden by the law for a man to approach a woman ( and to photograph...) unless they are family related or married. I was not ready to test the law shall we say...

I do have some small regrets about the portraits but I will hopefully go back one day.

Cheers,

helenhill

BIGFEET: Love the Straw Hat Shot....

WILLIAM:
Beautiful Ethereal Quality in the Iran Bus stop shot...
The flare adds Charm
and I certainly don't mind
as the Observer
to be getting a side /back view of the Man Waiting for the Bus
:cool:
Cheers- H

N

nei1

Beautiful,sculptural shot,a touch of genius William.Statuesque figure on his plinth.

sizifo

Sizifo,

Good observation. I did realize the same thing once I had developed all my films. For some reason I never felt comfortable enough to engage people in portraits. Maybe it was the language or the difference in culture. To be honest I'm still trying to understand my feelings about the country.
I did try a few times but I mostly got people making funny faces as the enjoyed the presence of a foreigner in their country. I wold have loved to photograph a lot of women over there but I knew and was also told that is is a total no-go as it is forbidden by the law for a man to approach a woman ( and to photograph...) unless they are family related or married. I was not ready to test the law shall we say...

I do have some small regrets about the portraits but I will hopefully go back one day.

Cheers,

It's the first thing one assumes, that due to the cultural differences, and fear of some insane law, it would be more difficult than in the west. Taking photos of strangers is a difficult issue anywhere of course.

In any case, I was only wondering, and thought it was a fair comment. So thanks for the reply.

helenhill

M4 / 35 pre asph lux / Arista & Rodinal
Central Park @1.4
Tree Shadows

click on to make BIGGER

Last edited:

helenhill

FOR SCOTT:

The Aliens Parading in Store Windows
and Invading our Movie Theatres...but we have been
Warned...:eek::ROTFL:

click on to make BIGGER :)