The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

m_driscoll

Maggie: I still have a film Leica...somewhere? :D
Anthony: Great set. I esp. like the tone, grain and her look in "Allison" and the color and subject isolation in "alleycat". :thumbup:
Ed: Nice work with the M7 and the velvia. The last one's my favorite. The horizontal crop's perfect. :salute:
Cindy: You've gone over to the dark side; or, is this the dark side and that's the light side? :confused:
Claire: An elegant set of B&W's. Very fine grained and a sun "etched" sharpness. The first one's my favorite with the reflection and shadow. :thumbup: What film is this?

(I wonder what my clients would think if i used these little animicons in my business correspondence? :ROTFL:)

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

T

tokengirl

What film is this?
Matt,

This is Rollei Retro 80S, stand developed in Rodinal 1:100 for 1 hour. It's very nice film - who would have thought you would get such fine grained negatives after letting them soup for an hour in Rodinal?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy: You've gone over to the dark side; or, is this the dark side and that's the light side? :confused:

Cheers, Matt

Matt,
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
I have had an M8 since Nov. 2006. I got one the first week that they came out. I just traded up to an M9 and also have a NEX5. but I still find that film is my true love. I'm one of those people that actually thinks that scanning is fun.:deadhorse:
Cindy

mathomas

Nope. Just have too many cameras and not enough time. I did take the M6 out for a walk this afternoon.

And because everybody should have a picture of a fire hydrant in their portfolio...

These are great -- chromogenic film? If not, I'm dying to know what it is.

mathomas

Am I the only one left with a film Leica?
No, I've just become enchanted with MF film qualities, and disenchanted with 35mm. I still carry the M2 around with the MF camera though :).

I have a roll I need to develop, but it got so curled from sitting too long on the take-up spool in the M2 that it was impossible to feed onto the developing reel. I'm letting it sit in the canister for a while.

khc1013

Nice! Great color. I just got some Portra 160VC, but I haven't shot any yet, looking forward to it.
forgot to mention that this are shot at 100. IMHO, I don't think I needed to pull at where I was shooting. But when you are shooting in some shade, pulling 1/3 to 2/3 will give you some pretty good results.

Matt,
I have had an M8 since Nov. 2006. I got one the first week that they came out. I just traded up to an M9 and also have a NEX5. but I still find that film is my true love. I'm one of those people that actually thinks that scanning is fun.:deadhorse:
Cindy
Scanning is "pain in the a*s" but I love it :D

is there a red/yellow filter involved? Maybe Ilford XP2?

All good stuff, but I like this the best. Pretty girl, nice expression, interesting setting, good exposure.
Thank you.

T

tokengirl

is there a red/yellow filter involved? Maybe Ilford XP2?

Rollei Retro 80S film, no filter, stand developed in Rodinal. Makes some super punchy negatives, but they scan well. Another bonus is that the negatives dry really flat, unlike for example T-Max, which has that really annoying barrel curve.

mathomas

Rollei Retro 80S film, no filter, stand developed in Rodinal. Makes some super punchy negatives, but they scan well. Another bonus is that the negatives dry really flat, unlike for example T-Max, which has that really annoying barrel curve.
Sweet, I have a 10-roll pack awaiting use, myself! You have me excited to shoot some. Maybe I'll fall back in love with my M2. I also have some Adonal (Adox Rodinal replacement) that I haven't put to use yet. I need to process my exposed roll of Plus-X in Diafine, then I'll load up some of this Rollei stuff and try the Adonal with it.

I agree the negs are punchy, but they have great acutance and very little grain (or maybe I should say nice, smooth, grain). Did you shoot box speed? What was your Rodinal regime?

mathomas

All good stuff, but I like this the best. Pretty girl, nice expression, interesting setting, good exposure.
Hey -- I think I just realized something. Is this the gal from your "printmaking" series and other portraits? If so, I thought she looked familiar. She is SO naturally pretty.

m_driscoll

Matt,
Cindy
Cindy: I got an M8 when they came out too. An M7, a little after that. Didn't use the M7, so, I sold it. This year, I bought another M7 and a Nikon F6. I'm getting back in to film. I, also, like to scan. Cheers, Matt.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

I had a look at Retro 100 (I think it was) a couple of years ago, and wasn't too impress. I suppose this is a completely different film then?

T

tokengirl

I had a look at Retro 100 (I think it was) a couple of years ago, and wasn't too impress. I suppose this is a completely different film then?
It is different. The Retro 100 is the old Agfa APX100.

I am a big believer in the theory that there are no bad B&W films - only bad film/developer combinations. A great resource on the web for various film/developer combinations is http://www.filmdev.org/ .

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Matt, I really like the set, especially the flowers. Congratulations on the new M7.

Anthony, I love the wedding baby. The colors are great. Do you scan your own Porta? I struggle with the color when I scan Porta for some reason.