The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

seakayaker

Ed what scanner & setting?

The shot appears to be taken in a dark room, (nightclub?) with a wide open lens. A fine grain texture with soft bokeh reflected in the output.

seakayaker

Train Crossing the Locks in Fog ~ Ballard Locks ~ Seattle, WA

Rose Bush Blooming ~ The Stone Walk Way at Small Lock Control Room ~ Ballard Locks ~ Seattle, WA

Salmon Smolt Flumes ~ Ballard Locks ~ Seattle, WA

Leica MP with Voigtlander Nokton Asph 50mm f1.5

edftwin

Ed what scanner & setting?

The shot appears to be taken in a dark room, (nightclub?) with a wide open lens. A fine grain texture with soft bokeh reflected in the output.
Canon 8800F,i disabled everything in vuescan except infrared clean set to light and scanned in Raw TIFF format, then made some colour recovery and adjustments in LR3. The result seems good to me.

It was taken in a cafe with dim lighting, wide open at f2. I'm totally in love with fuji superia x-tra 400 now, the fine grain it provides is lovely :)

edftwin

Nice captures, Dan ! The nokton 50 1.5 is a gem, a different beast than a sonnar.
I have a very old J3 which is a copy of sonnar, it is a very small lens and I love it a lot :p

seakayaker

Steve, thank you for your kind words, they are appreciated!

Musicians at the Farmers Market ~ Portland, Oregon

Leica MP with Elmar-M 24mm f3.8 ASPH

Lloyd

Dan: Add my vote here. Really stunning. Love the shots at the Locks as well. Way to rock that film!

Steve: Loving your film stuff as well, bro. Stellar.

mathomas

Steve, thank you for your kind words, they are appreciated!

Musicians at the Farmers Market ~ Portland, Oregon

Leica MP with Elmar-M 24mm f3.8 ASPH

Whoa! That does not even look like 35mm film. As Jorgen says, it leaps out of the monitor, 3D, great light, tones, details, etc. I never get results anywhere close to that with 35mm (one reason I'm pretty much moved to medium format).

What is the film, and did you process yourself? If so, what was the process? If not, who did the processing? I can't trust my lab not to completely screw up the scans, if not the processing. Good show! Makes me want to break out the 35mm again.

seakayaker

Whoa! That does not even look like 35mm film. As Jorgen says, it leaps out of the monitor, 3D, great light, tones, details, etc. I never get results anywhere close to that with 35mm (one reason I'm pretty much moved to medium format).

What is the film, and did you process yourself? If so, what was the process? If not, who did the processing? I can't trust my lab not to completely screw up the scans, if not the processing. Good show! Makes me want to break out the 35mm again.

Thanks you, Mike, Lloyd, Steve & Jorgen for your kind comments, they are appreciated.

Jorgen and Mike, the film used was the Legacy Pro 400. My understanding is that the film is re-branded fuji neopan. I picked this film up from Freestyle Photographic Supplies out of Los Angeles. The film had a short date of 9/2011 and was selling for $1.99 a roll or $34.99 for 20 rolls. They also have a Legacy Pro 100 which from my understanding is a re-branded fuji Acros. I have been alternating between this and the Ilford HP5 recently.

Currently I am having my film processed and scanned onto a High Res CD by Capitol Hill 60 Minute Photo Express Lab Services in Seattle. In this particular photograph I imported to aperture then used Nik pre-sharping at 40%, Nik Define at default setting, then Silver efex pro and adjusted brightness, contrast and structure, then added a soft edge vignette and border.

Started using a film camera again at the beginning of August, but currently using the electronic darkroom for the finished product. I have enrolled in a Photography Certificate Program at the University of Washington, http://www.pce.uw.edu/prog.aspx?id=6356&tab=Courses that begins in October which includes working in the 'wet' darkroom and will see where that leads.

I have been enjoying using the MP and working with a film camera again since it has slowed me down and I am thinking about the shot more vs shooting with the M9, crimping and shooting the same shot several times.

. . . . . most importantly . . . . . I am having fun!

mathomas

Thanks you, Mike, Lloyd, Steve & Jorgen for your kind comments, they are appreciated.

Jorgen and Mike, the film used was the Legacy Pro 400. My understanding is that the film is re-branded fuji neopan. I picked this film up from Freestyle Photographic Supplies out of Los Angeles. The film had a short date of 9/2011 and was selling for $1.99 a roll or $34.99 for 20 rolls. They also have a Legacy Pro 100 which from my understanding is a re-branded fuji Acros. I have been alternating between this and the Ilford HP5 recently.

Currently I am having my film processed and scanned onto a High Res CD by Capitol Hill 60 Minute Photo Express Lab Services in Seattle. In this particular photograph I imported to aperture then used Nik pre-sharping at 40%, Nik Define at default setting, then Silver efex pro and adjusted brightness, contrast and structure, then added a soft edge vignette and border.

Started using a film camera again at the beginning of August, but currently using the electronic darkroom for the finished product. I have enrolled in a Photography Certificate Program at the University of Washington, http://www.pce.uw.edu/prog.aspx?id=6356&tab=Courses that begins in October which includes working in the 'wet' darkroom and will see where that leads.

I have been enjoying using the MP and working with a film camera again since it has slowed me down and I am thinking about the shot more vs shooting with the M9, crimping and shooting the same shot several times.

. . . . . most importantly . . . . . I am having fun!
Amazing results from 35mm 400 speed film! Best of luck with the analog studies. I think you'll find that doing your own processing is very rewarding, if not convenient.

seakayaker

Steel Bridge ~ Willamette River ~ Portland, Oregon

Burnside Bridge ~ Willamette River ~ Portland, Oregon

Leica MP with Elmarit-M 90mm f2.8

seakayaker

Thank you Steve for your kind words, they are always appreciated!

1929 Yacht Passing Through Small Lock ~ Ballard Locks ~ Seattle, WA

1929 Yacht Leaving Small Lock ~ Ballard Locks ~ Seattle, WA

Leica MP with Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 ASPH