The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

Araakii

Araakil, it looks like you and ED had a fantastic time. Love the first photograph a beautiful black and white capture! What lens were you using, it looks like it was a low light situation?
Dan, it was pretty fun but the venue is much smaller than Sakura Con at the convention center.

All 3 shots were taken with (once again) my favorite Zeiss 50mm Sonnar with the SF-58 flash. Except the one taken outdoor, they were taken indoor with minimum lighting.

chrism

Wonderful photographs of your son above, sharp detail and great portrait work with the 75 Cron! The one in the middle is my favorite of that group.

. . . . . with that said I wanted to say that I love the soft touch in the picture above that does not emphasis the lines in the man's face but still has clarity and detail along with the soft bokeh background! Another beautiful portrait.
Thank you, Dan. You gave my wife a good laugh when you described her as a man! Blazinal - the sex change developer!

Chris;)

seakayaker

Thank you, Dan. You gave my wife a good laugh when you described her as a man! Blazinal - the sex change developer!

Chris;)

. . . . . and I just made an appointment with the optometrist.

Following that I have an appointment with an orthopedist surgeon to see if I can get my foot pulled back out of my mouth . . . . . :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Please extend my apologies to your wife.

iver aldas

Hapilan Tondo in Manila, the Philippines

Leica M6 - Skopar 35/2.5 - Neopan 400 - D76 stock @ 20°

Brief story: Hapilan Tondo is an Urban poor community in Metro Manila formerly known as "Dump site". Most of the resident's main source of income is through garbage junks and charcoal making. This is the main reason why they are reported having the highest number of TB cases in the country.

seakayaker

Occupy Wall Street Rally & March on October 15th ~ 2011

M6 TTL .85 with Leica APO Summicron-M 75mm f2 ASPH ~ Ilford HP5 400

Paratom

Great images here.
As someone who grew up with film but never had great developping skills and being unpatient I found digital to be THE solution: I would be able to do everything myself from taking the image to making a big print on my Epson 7900.
However since starting with digital cameras it has been a neverending optimizing time of switching cameras, buying monitors, calibtrating, buying printers, calibtrating etc etc. Even though I now could control everything myself I still feel its a hit and miss to get an image to look like I want it. And to make it look not "digital".

Just got a 6008 Rollei for 350€ for fun and today got the first roll back (from a cheapo lab) and have to say looks quite good, I guess I would have to spend quite some time to get this "look" from my digital cameras.

So I came to this thread and hey....I really like what I see.
I am soo close to believe that film and a good lab might serve my needs better. Saving much of my time for post processing and using it for photography?

Anyways-great images and motivates me to do more with film.
Do most of you scan and print inkjet or do you get analog prints?

Tom

Last edited:

Araakii

Just did my first solo gig (unpaid) to cover an event. Here are a couple samples.

M7 w/ Provia 400X.

I am really impressed with how the film somehow turned a boring studio light into sunset type of color.

seakayaker

Great images here.
As someone who grew up with film but never had great developping skills and being unpatient I found digital to be THE solution: I would be able to do everything myself from taking the image to making a big print on my Epson 7900.
However since starting with digital cameras it has been a neverending optimizing time of switching cameras, buying monitors, calibtrating, buying printers, calibtrating etc etc. Even though I now could control everything myself I still feel its a hit and miss to get an image to look like I want it. And to make it look not "digital".

Just got a 6008 Rollei for 350€ for fun and today got the first roll back (from a cheapo lab) and have to say looks quite good, I guess I would have to spend quite some time to get this "look" from my digital cameras.

So I came to this thread and hey....I really like what I see.
I am soo close to believe that film and a good lab might serve my needs better. Saving much of my time for post processing and using it for photography?

Anyways-great images and motivates me to do more with film.
Do most of you scan and print inkjet or do you get analog prints?

Tom
Currently I am having my film processed and scanned onto a High Res CD by Capitol Hill 60 Minute Photo Express Lab Services in Seattle.

Started using a film camera again at the beginning of August, but currently using the electronic darkroom for the finished product. I am currently enrolled in a Photography Certificate Program at the University of Washington. Courses include working in the 'wet' darkroom and will see where that leads. They also will cover digital processing and printing. My current Cannon printer is dated and the print quality is poor. Plan on picking up an Epson, or possibly another brand name printer, in the future after getting some experience in the lab in school.

. . . . . that is my process at the moment and look to make changes over the next several months.

Look forward to seeing you post some photographs Tom!

seakayaker

Dan, you actually bought it at Glazer on Sat???
Yes, after you and ED left I ended up talking to Mark for awhile and then I decided to go ahead and make the purchase.

Shot two rolls with the M6 on Saturday and Sunday and one roll came out as expected and the other had scratches and white marking on the majority of the negatives. I am assuming they were caused in the development process and not by the camera and will be running another couple of rolls through over the weekend to insure it is not the camera. The other thought I had was that I may have not threaded the film correctly, just not sure what created the scratch marks.

Anyone have any experience I would enjoy the feedback.

Anyway, I am enjoying the M6, it fits well in my hands and the shutter speed dial is larger and makes it a little easier to adjust quickly. The .085 works well with the 75mm and look forward to using the 50mm & 90mm lenses as well.