The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

chrism

It's been a while since I added anything here, since I have been spending more time with the M9 and the OM-D than with the film cameras. But today I used a Rondinax 35u for the first time and loved the process (I went and bought a Rondinax 60 on eBay to use for 120 films I liked it so much). I hadn't realised this roll of Tri-X had sat in my M7 for so long - there's a Christmas tree in some of the shots! It was rather a surprise when I looked at the negatives, as my mother passed away in March. Here she is modelling her chemo wig, which she didn't like too much:

Rodinal certainly brings out the Tri-X grain! I used the same 1:50 dilution and 13 minute time I would have used in an ordinary tank, but it is necessary to continually rotate the film in the developer - one half turn every two seconds - as only the bottom of the reel is immersed in the developer. This might add to the grain. All M7 and Lux 75.

Chris

chrism

Continuing the Rondinax experiment, today I wondered around the house using up some Neopan 400 in the MP with a Summarit 35. I used HC-110 this time to lessen the grain I've been getting with Rodinal. One frame had two bubble marks at the edge - something I think might happen occasionally with this kind of tank. This one didn't though:

His and Hers by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Lloyd

Hausen: Very nice set.

Chris: Very sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Great, fun images of her. The grain gives a timeless look. I prefer the look of the most recent posting. Really wonderful tonality there as well. Plus, there's just something special to me about the way reflective metal looks in b/w. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Chris,
I'm sorry that your Mother lost her battle and I am so sorry for your loss of her. I'm glad that you found these photos of her in your M7.
I like your newest effort very much.

seakayaker

Chris, lovely photographs of your mother.

It is nice to have the memories and the pictures to put us back in a moment in time.

Hausen & Steve, (lovely black and white photographs) and Cindy it is nice to see the Porta 160, I really like that film, used along with the Lietz 5cm/f2 along with the converted Zeiss, thanks for posting the photographs! They are sweet!

. . . . . been a busy summer, work and play, more shooting with less post processing, perhaps get busy again with the processing part in the fall. Anyway a few recent efforts . . . . .

M6TTL ~ Ernst Leitz Wetzler Summitar 5cm f/2 - Ilford Pan-F Plus 50

M6TTL ~ Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzler 3.5cm f3.5 - Ilford Pan-F Plus 50

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Dan, I like the tones on the sculpture. Your photo of Peg conveys a lot of joy! Nice.
I have the Summitar f/2, too. I usually keep mine on my IIIg. I think that film and vintage Leitz lenses really work together. Lots of bang for the buck.

seakayaker

Thank you Cindy and Lloyd for your kind words, they are appreciated.

. . . . . a few more, attempting to work on a couple every few days.

MP - Leica Summicron-M 35mm f2 ASPH - Ilford HP5 PLUS 400

M6TTL ~ Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzler 3.5cm f3.5 - Ilford Pan-F Plus 50

seakayaker

. . . . . from a walk about this past June in Snohomish, WA.

Walking along 107th SE Snohmish, WA

Dropping through the Clouds ~ as seen from the Snohomish River Front Road

MP - Leica Summicron-M 35mm f2 ASPH ~ Ilford HP5 ISO 400

Lloyd

Dan: Two excellent sets, my friend. Fun to see pix from Snohomish. I lived there, and in Monroe in 1976, while I was building houses in Lake Stevens. Pretty rural in those days.

Hausen: Very nice. Love the subtle hues.

seakayaker

Hausen, beautiful colors and detail in the photograph!

I believe I often see that COSCO ship docked in Seattle. :D

Lloyd, thanks for your kind words! Yes, Snohomish and Monroe have grown in the 16 + years I have been living out here so both places would look completely different to you today.

. . . . . a few from a trip back east in July.

Chatham Beach & Chatham Lighthouse ~ Cape Cod

MP - Leica Summicron-M 35mm f2 ASPH ~ Kodak Porta 160

Last edited:

Hausen

Thanks guys. Can't beat the 28 summicron for landscapes in my mind. The detail from this lens always blows me away.

seakayaker

One more from Snohomish for you Lloyd.

This Bakery looked like it may have been around since the '70's and was located on 1st street by the river in Snohomish. The menu and coffee selection has changed buy you may have eaten there . . . . .

MP - Leica Summicron-M 35mm f2 ASPH ~ Ilford HP5 ISO 400

Lloyd

That's a really nice image, Dan. I really like the light and the tonality. I don't specifically remember that place, but I may well have eaten there. The guy I worked for had a couple of favorite old places around there.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Beautiful Dan, both black and white and color photos.

Big Hausen, I love the detail in your photo (as I mentioned on Flickr). I also like the color pallet.

Godfrey

Vases

First roll out of the CL...

Leica CL + M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 II
Ilford XP2 Super

thanks for looking!