The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

asiafish

First roll back from my new (to me) Leica M5. This particular M5 was fully serviced and sold to me by Sherry Krauter. It is a mechanical work of art. As much as I love my M Monochrom, there remains something special about film, in this case Tri-X shot at ISO 400.

With 5cm f/1.5 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar (1937) and orange filter.

62760017.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

62760021.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

62760019.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

And with the 50mm f/2 Summicron-M, also with orange filter

62760033.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

62760035.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

teeraash

MP 50 Summicron Ver 4
Using my camera (Sony A7) as a scanner.
Portra 160, developed by the cheapest lab in town.

I am still not that happy with the color hues of the scan files and plan to acquire blue and cyan Kodak wratten color compensation filters to neutralize the orange hue of the film base. Would also try to use film profiles from scanner software such as Vuescan or Silverfast to see if it can improve the color tone and cast. Advices and comments are very welcome but I will be away and not be able to experiment on these ideas in the next 4-5 weeks.

[/url]_DSC1378-Edit by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Godfrey

Leica CL + M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 II
Ilford XP2 Super

Shooting with this camera and lens always brings me "home." :)

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

J

JohnW

Very nice, Godfrey. Since going digital, I've bounced camera to camera feeling pretty much homeless. So I understand you sentiment.

John

MikalWGrass

A couple of shots from a flag football game in the late Spring. Shot with an M6 and the ancient Nikkor 85/2 or the equally as old Canon 35 for Leica. The film was Scala 200 at 400, I think. Slight crop on the left sides.

Definitely a different experience and look shooting a rangefinder for sports.

flagfbbw2 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

flagfbbw1 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

MikalWGrass

Three from the Homestead, FL farmer's market. Leica M6 and either the Nikkor 85/2 or 105/2.5. Scala rated at 800. Nikon Coolscan. The angle on the singers is not the angle I wanted to shoot from but a family member of the singer decided to take photos at the same time I did. The darker photos were coffee toned in SFX2. My favorite is the last photo.

homestead3 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

homestead1 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

homestead2 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

chrism

Yesterday I left the house and drove around for some hours with the M7 and a Nikon F6, each with a 35mm lens and a roll of Ektar 100. I wanted to compare them so I did each shot on both cameras. (The Leica won, but the F6 still has a place for B&W portraits with the 85/1.4 lens.)
There are some beautiful places in Nova Scotia. All of these are with the M7, 35 Lux FLE, Ektar 100, Unicolor presskit, Hasselblad X1 scans:

Chris

chrism

Since my white count was 2.2 this morning I celebrated by going for a walk this afternoon along the TransCanada Trail, which runs alongside my property. I took the M7 with Elmarit-M 24mm and another roll of Ektar 100. Firstly I went past my neighbour's house, The Lynwood (which where the 'fathers of Confederation' stayed the night before sailing to Charlottetown to sign the Confederation document that linked Canadian provinces into one country in 1867):

Then onto the trail, which is the roadbed of a closed railway:

Some silver birches along the way:

To Nelson's Park:

Looking back along Waugh's River (I live on the right bank among the trees):

I think I'm getting the hang of scanning the Ektar. I had always believed that all adjustments should be made after the scan, and all the possible corrections in scanning software should be set to 'neutral'. But I'm finding it much easier to correct the odd colours of Ektar in the software that drives the X1. These photos have minimal tweaks to WB and Tint and seem better than Wednesday's efforts as far as colour goes.

Chris

chrism

My fifth roll of film this week! Being off sick can be fun.
Today I felt the need to enjoy some real blacks! I walked long the disused railway line in the opposite direction to yesterday's walk, and took the M7, Lux35FLE, Acros 100 @80, a yellow filter. Film was developed in Rodinal 1:50 and scanned on the X1. Very contrasty negatives - I will shorten the development time if I use this combination again.
The old train station (now a restaurant and hotel):

A grain elevator at the old creamery:

A box girder railway bridge

This boat won't float

Back to "civilisation"

Chris