The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

chrism

A little hard to get into the garage at present:

M7, 35FLE, Fuji Superia 400, Unicolor presskit, KM5400 II

Chris

chrism

First try with Acros 100 in the monobath (M7, Lux 35FLE):

I had a problem with surge marks again, hence the skies being lightened to hide the stripes. Tomorrow I'll try the official method with no agitation whatsoever.

Chris

Leigh

Hi Chris,

I've shot thousands of frames of Acros, in 35mm, 120, and 4x5 sheet. It's the only b&w film I shoot.

Never had a problem with surge marks on any of them.

All were developed in Rodinal 1:50 with extremely gentle and infrequent agitation.

- Leigh

I had a problem with surge marks again...

chrism

The surge marks are a function of using a monobath, which is extremely prone to producing a stripe across the film from each and every sprocket hole. The only way I have got around it is to use a Rondinax or Rondix tank, so the film is oriented differently and the solution flows along the film.

C.

Godfrey

Leica M4-2 + Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5
Rollei-Agfa Superpan 200

I processed this in a Rondix 35, using HC-110 1:49 from concentrate, about 8 minutes at 70°F. Seems a little bit underprocessed to my eye; it's the first roll I've done in the Rondix and I probably need to adjust developing time a little bit compared to the Rondinax. The Leica M4-2 does better with Superpan 200 than the Nikon F6 in terms of the film transport ... all frames are evenly spaced out of the Leica, not so with the Nikon. Of course, the exposures with the F6 are more consistent ... I was half the time guesstimating and half the time using the Leicameter with the M4-2. :)

enjoy,

G

chrism

You have to wind the crank back and forth rather faster with the Rondix than you would turn the wheel on a Rondinax. About 15 seconds to go from one end to the other. Otherwise I use standard times and temperatures.

C.

Godfrey

You have to wind the crank back and forth rather faster with the Rondix than you would turn the wheel on a Rondinax. About 15 seconds to go from one end to the other. Otherwise I use standard times and temperatures.
That's probably the issue. I was cranking at about one turn per second ... I see in the instruction manual they recommend the initial crank in at about half that speed, then going to 1 to 1.5 turns per second for the rest of the processing. I'll set up a metronome or some such app to give me a beat so I can do it consistently. :)

G