The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

chrism

Very nice, Chris.

The tonality looks quite good.

How's the grain? It looks quite well-controlled, but hard to tell on the 'puter image.

- Leigh
It is claimed that Tri-X should be rated at 1600 in Diafine, but it becomes very obvious that grain increases along with the degree of underexposure. Over the years I have gone down to 1200, then 1000 and now 800. The negatives are denser (which may not be an advantage for scanning) but there is less grain. The indoor shot of Dan was probably underexposed by a stop, and is much more grainy than the outdoor ones. I was also wanting to try out the V850, bought to allow full scans of 10x8 negatives (the 4870 couldn't do the whole frame), and it might also have contributed something to the grain, but surely not much as the properly exposed shots have very little.

BTW, Cindy, I see I have posted these photos in the wrong thread - if you wanted to move them to the 'Something Other Than...' thread It's fine with me.

Chris

chrism

I wanted to experiment this evening with a different way of scanning colour negatives. I watched a video about making Vuescan preview a bit of film base to lock the exposure and colour of the orange mask, then making a raw scan of the desired frame, import into LR, use ColorPerfect to set the colours right in PS, save and then go back to LR and adjust. This happens to be the first negative in my current 35mm binder and I do believe the colours are better than when I first processed this last fall.
M7, 35FLE, Superia 400, Unicolor presskit, Nikon 9000:

Last Fall by chrism229, on Flickr

BTW, the video is here.

Chris

chrism

An old motorcycle shop, closed down when they lost their franchises for not modernising. Now mostly empty, but with an old Kodak sign on a shelf. Taken through the shop window (MP, 35FLE, Plus-X):

Business Closed by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

chrism

I have joined the meterless club for 35mm, having decided that I shoot MF and LF quite happily without a meter in the camera, so why not simplify things for 35mm? (I also have to dispose of lots of gear so that it won't be a problem for my wife when the leukemia comes back.) So I have done a deal with my enabler, the wonderful Jean at Camtec in Montreal, to reduce all my Leica gear to a 1963 M2 and silver 35 Lux, 50 Lux and 90 Summarit. The M2 arrived today, so I put a roll of Tri-X through it:

Stump by chrism229, on Flickr

136 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Godfrey

Leica M4-2 + Summilux 35mm v2
Fuji ACROS 100

A tree for the holidays!

Processed in my now-standard Rondix 35 tank using HC-110 (1:49 dilution from concentrate), 68°F for 8 min.

Have a Merry!

G