The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

chrism

Well that was interesting - I wanted to experiment with room temperature C-41 development. So, Fuji Superia 400 at box speed, colour developer freshly made and diluted 1+9, 20ºC, 45 minutes semistand, blix at 20ºC for 6.5 minutes, stabiliser for 1 minute also at 20ºC. The negatives are fairly green, and when scanned look like the Lomo purple film. I cannot scan them with the X1 and get decent colours, but if I go through the whole scan the film base and lock it in Vuescan using the Nikon 9000, then scan as raw and use the ColorPerfect plug-in in PS I get useable pictures! The first few frames off the spiral (on the outside of the spiral) have sprocket hole surge marks, but the inner frames do not.

C-41 semistand #8 by chrism229, on Flickr

C-41 semistand #6 by chrism229, on Flickr

C-41 semistand #5 by chrism229, on Flickr

And to show the surge marks:

C-41 semistand #2 by chrism229, on Flickr

So next time I need a bit more agitation, and I think I need more development to reduce to colour cast. I could try for an hour instead of 45 minutes, and if that doesn't do it, I guess I will start altering the developer dilution to 1+8, 1+7 etc.

Chris

richardman

The directions on the Lomo site says 45 mins with "full strength" developer, not diluted, and also bleach at 45 mins. Not really my cup of tea though.

chrism

I tried again today with 20ºC C-41 development. This time I used 1+5 dilution of the colour developer (50ml of CD and 250ml water in a Paterson 35mm tank) for 50 minutes. I solved the surge marks from the sprocket holes that I got yesterday by using the swizzle stick for rotary agitation - 30 seconds every ten minutes. Followed with 6.5 minutes of blix at 20ºC and stabiliser. The negatives look a bit more like a normally developed film, but on scanning they still have a strong purple tint rather than the usual blue. Raw scans and inversion in ColorPerfect gets the colours just about spot on. Only very slight tweaks to colour temperature and tint were needed.

C-41 Semistand #13 by chrism229, on Flickr

C-41 Semistand #12 by chrism229, on Flickr

C-41 Semistand #11 by chrism229, on Flickr

C-41 Semistand #10 by chrism229, on Flickr

I make no claims for the subjects; I simply needed to expose the film to play with the developing! And it's -10ºC outside, so I didn't care to go out more than I had to.
So it seems like a workable method, but with pouring, diluting, 50 minutes of development and agitating every ten minutes, it tied me to the kitchen sink for about an hour and a half. Now this isn't quicker than heating the solutions in a water bath followed by the standard quick development, and at least I can go and do something else while the solutions warm up. Standard development also means I can scan with the X1 (which is quick) and get good colours. These need the magic of ColorPerfect, which means slow raw scans on the Nikon. I'll probably go back to 39ºC development, but it was fun to experiment.

Chris
PS these aren't taken with an M, but it makes sense for those interested to have them with yesterday's efforts.

Godfrey

On the wall this little sign caught my attention ...

Leica M4-2 + Nokton 40mm f/1.4
Fuji ACROS 100

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Another from a group of film exposures made last August through September that still await rendering and posting ...

Leica M4-2 + Nokton 40mm f/1.4 MC
Fuji ACROS 100

Processed in Agfa Rondix, HC110 @ 68°F for 8 minutes.

Enjoy!
G

chrism

I went down to the nearest wharf to see if the boats were in the water for the upcoming lobster season, but only the traps are set out for loading. I rather wished I had a colour film as all the floats are painted in various colours to show who owns them, and all those lines are various bright colours too. Never mind, I chose XP2 as it was dull and overcast with rain and flurries in the air.

M2, 35FLE, XP2, HC-110, X1 scans:

Traps waiting for the season by chrism229, on Flickr

Floats by chrism229, on Flickr

Barnacles by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris