The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Chris-
What is the "Dark 2 rule"? I'm spending time on this thread because I've been feeling a very strong urge to buy a film M and shoot a little film. It has been ten years since I sold or traded my last film camera. Nothing will replace the digitals for my work, but... These photographs make that M6 I'm considering look a lot more appealing. Thank you.
tim

chrism

Tim,
It's just a silly rule to maximise exposure without inducing camera shake. So you set your aperture to the largest you have - f2.0 or f1.4, then set your shutter speed to the reciprocal of the the focal length of your lens. Then you hope for the best. No metering involved, merely a pragmatic way of attempting to make the best of a dark situation. With the ISO400 film above, two negatives were usable, and one of those was so underexposed it was very grainy. The other was worth the expenditure of the rest of the film. Such is life.

Chris

jdphoto

After selling my M3, i realized how much I missed analog shooting. I found an MP with a 50mm Pre ASPH and love it! The meter function is quite handy too!

jdphoto

Lovely! Keep posting them, as it gets a bit lonely here.

Chris
Thanks! I'll be shooting some Pan F and considering Adox for low grain. I also just ordered the betterscanning glass for 35mm for better flatness. Prints up to 11x14 are perfect for this combo.

jdphoto

Cindy: Thanks for the welcome. I've been here all along enjoying the info, chatter and photos, but haven't posted before. I took these photos when I was much younger. The market was located in downtown, Columbus, Ohio, open on Saturday only, and was quite busy. Many people rode the bus downtown to do their weekly shopping. These were taken with a Leica IIf and Elmar lenses and later, an M3.

Helen: Thank you.

More market photos circa 1960:

Thanks for looking!
These are incredibly good! The compositions, lighting, etc. just perfect. There's so little grain, what film did you use? The tonality and clarity in the photo of the boy is fantastic!.
Please post more...you have a gift.

Last edited: