The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

KeithDM

I seem to be ploughing a mostly lonely furrow here!
Elderly Dennis fire engine rear view (in Swindon's Steam Museum). M7, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Portra 400.

OldFireEngine4.jpg

pegelli

I haven't shot and scanned film for ages, but ran across a scene I shot in Poznan, Poland in 1979

Leica M2 + Elmar 5 cm f3.5, Agfachrome 50S

There's still 6 frames on the last film in my M2, maybe I should go out and take some shots and see what the whole film brings, can't remember what other images would be on there :confused:

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's still 6 frames on the last film in my M2, maybe I should go out and take some shots and see what the whole film brings, can't remember what other images would be on there :confused:
Here's my personal, totally unqualified opinion: yes, you should do that :lecture:

pegelli

Here's my personal, totally unqualified opinion: yes, you should do that :lecture:
I'll do that Jorgen, good advice. While looking up the camera I also found a roll of exposed FP4 and I figured there's HP5 in the camera, judging by the ISO setting on the "rose" (back dial) and my Gossen light meter setting, which were all stored in the same bag. So plenty of surprises looming when I find the time to take the final shots and develop the two films.

Here's two more shots, I hope it doesn't matter that the first is with a IIIf (one of the M39 predecessors of the M-series Leica's)

Ffestiniog railway (Wales, 1973):

IIIf + Elmar 50/3.5, Ilford FP4

Street musicians in Poznan (Poland, 1979)

M2 + Elmar 90/4, Agfachrome 50S

chrism

This was said to be "the second most photographed site in Nova Scotia" after Peggy's Cove lighthouse. I have no idea how one would justify such an unquantifiable statement but there you are. One thing's for sure, it can't be true anymore, as the house collapsed a year after this was taken, which was in 2013.
M7, Cron 50, Tri-X, T-Max developer:

Nuttby dream home by chrism229, on Flickr

pegelli

....... While looking up the camera I also found a roll of exposed FP4 and I figured there's HP5 in the camera, judging by the ISO setting on the "rose" (back dial) and my Gossen light meter setting, which were all stored in the same bag. So plenty of surprises looming when I find the time to take the final shots and develop the two films.
Well, good news and bad news.
I started with developing the HP5 from the camera (after taking some shots in the neighbourhood). It came back totally blank, also no frame numbers/film type around the perforation and no black part at the start of the roll. I used Ilfolsol 3 developer I got some time ago (and used some then). It was slightly darker than normal, but I remembered that the same happened to my bottles of Rodinal in the past so I wasn't too worried. Well, I guess that was wrong and the developer was wasted. I'll never know what was on the first ~ 25 exposures of that roll :facesmack:. Given I didn't care to develop it for about 6 years I think I didn't lose any masterpieces :LOL:

So off to the shop and bought some ID11 and developed the FP4. After that scanned the roll on an Epson V700. Here's a shot from Fort Oelegem in the winter, more to be posted later. Thinking back this was probably exposed somewhere feb/march 2013, so storing it 6 1/2 years as "latent images" worked out OK in the end.

Didn't note the lens or aperture down, but it's probably the Summaron 35/2.8 at f4 or f5.6. For sure it was taken with my M2 :)

I also bought some more film and am planning a little film project to capture the pre-WW1 Forts and casemates around Antwerp. Wiki article on the two defense rings around Antwerp. There's the inner ring (end 19th century) of brick forts as well as the outer ring (early 20th century) of concrete forts. Seems a suitable subject to brush up my film developing and processing skills :toocool:

KeithDM

Regarding Ilfosol 3, I fell foul of the same problem some years ago. It was not long after I had 'gone back to film' and unearthed all my darkroom kit from the loft. After settling on Ilfosol 3 as my new 'go to' developer, I left the country for a couple of months. By the time I returned and had the opportunity to re-start developing, the Ilfosol was about 3 1/2months old and yes, was slightly dark but I figured it would be OK. Wrong! The results were as Pieter described - completely blank. :( Given that I do go some three to four months between dev sessions, since then I have relied entirely on Rodinal.

pegelli

Here's two more from the film that was exposed 6 1/2 years ago and developed this week

1: Castle of 's Gravenwezel

Leica M2 + Elmarit 90/2.8

2: Primary school "De Tuimelaar" (The Tumbler) in Schoten

Leica M2 + Summicron 50/2 DR

And two from a new film, shot a few days ago

3: Fort Oelegem entry bridge and gate

Leica M2 + Elmar 90/4

4: A WW2 bunker in the woods nearby, added to pre WW1 fortifications by the Germans around 1942

Leica M2 + Summaron 35/2.8

All FP4plus, developed in ID11, scanned with an Epson V700 and further processed in Lightroom

pegelli

One from my bicycle ride yesterday, developed yesterday evening and scanned today

Another pre WW1 bunker, hidden in the woods

Leica M2, Summicron 50/2 DR, f8, 1/100

HP5plus, developed in ID11, scanned with an Epson V700 as 16 bit monochrome and further processed in Lightroom

The film bug really got me :loco: