The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

helenhill

What always amazes me with B&W film is how you can hold detail in highlights that look so white as to be (almost) blown and in shadows that are virtually black. I don't see that with digital.

Woody
That's what the shoulder and toe of B&W film is all about...
I couldn't AGREE more with ya Woody

Don, I am better understanding the Toe/Shoulder Ideal which Jack Flesher has
recently explained to Me
:) Best-h

N

nei1

My oldest

Its those blown highlights that just finnish digital as a serious medium for me.Ive put in a few posts to see if anyone has an opinion on a black and white sensor such as was available from kodak and is still available as a mf back,would this overcome the problem?

Last edited:

emmawest72

He was just back from school and was immediately forced out in the garden so I could try the new kodak Ektar 100 film...

M4-2 and 35mm, scanned with epson v700/ silverfast.

helenhill

Beautiful color shot neil
Bill- Lovely
William - Quite the handsome Lad

strange what happened to this negative...but I like it

woodyspedden

He was just back from school and was immediately forced out in the garden so I could try the new kodak Ektar 100 film...

M4-2 and 35mm, scanned with epson v700/ silverfast.

Great skin tones. Did you have to do a lot of post processing to get the colors right or was this basically "out of the camera."

Woody

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
A couple from the Texas countryside.

Leica MP with VC 40 1.4 MC

#1 Ruined Farmhouse

Last edited:

emmawest72

Hi Woody,

These are almost straigt out of camera/scanner. I used silverfast to scan the neg and then only did a resize/ small curve adjustment plus slight sharpen for web. I'm quite surprised because I have read that the new ektar is not too good for people shots. Anyway I like it.

Cheers,

leif e

Hello all!
I´m absolutely new to this forum - 3 hours? - and fell for this thread and the non-M cousin at once.
The image is from a series of images on football (soccer:cool:) fans I´ve been working on for a while: the magic night late last autumn when we won the Norwegian series. :grin:
M4-P, CV 1,9/28, Tri-X at 1600 or 3200 (not sure) developed in XTOL.

Last edited:

fotografz

Hello all!
I´m absolutely new to this forum - 3 hours? - and fell for this thread and the non-M cousin at once.
The image is from a series of images on football (soccer:cool:) fans I´ve been working on for a while: the magic night late last autumn when we won the Norwegian series. :grin:
Nice!!!

Lloyd

Hello all!
Beauty. And it looks like a great celebration.

emmawest72

LLoyd,

there seem to be potential but the drugstore scan has completely destroyed the pic. On my screen it looks heavily oversharpened and they also seem to have applied some noise reduction(???). Make sure to scan it yourself as I'm sure the neg looks fine.
Cheers,

Lloyd

LLoyd,

there seem to be potential but the drugstore scan has completely destroyed the pic. On my screen it looks heavily oversharpened and they also seem to have applied some noise reduction(???). Make sure to scan it yourself as I'm sure the neg looks fine.
Cheers,
Thank you for your comments, William. Most appreciated.

I am anxious to see what my own scan will reveal. Don't know how they scan, but I just picked up the film, and was anxious to post something here.

The oversharpening may be my doing, I reduced this for web viewing and then applied a "sharpen for web" action I use for M8 files. Together with the sharpening the forum applies, it does look like too much.

Here's another file from this roll. Also the drugstore scan.

Noctilux:
View attachment 13941

Last edited:

Lloyd

Ok, here's another attempt. Same image as above, but scanned in my Nikon Super CoolScan 4000. Don't know how the scratches got on the negative; pretty disappointing. (no sharpening this time.)

View attachment 13986

Last edited:

wjlapier

Hi Lloyd. I'm glad that you posted the two pics. I've been wondering what the lab would do to my negs if I let them scan them--after I scan them of course! But mainly to see what my pics would look like if I didn't do my digital darkroom.

I'd be curious to know more about your scanning and post processing. I use a Coolscan V and Vuescan and am learning something different just about everyday.

Leif, that is a great shot!