The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minolta XD-11

tbhv55

Nice shot:thumbup:

About 30 years ago I had an XD-7 (the UK name for the XD11). I'm now remembering how good it was. Cue wistful sigh...!:D

Hausen

XD-7 was my first camera and I still have it. Makes me think maybe I should load it up and take it out for a whirl.

The XD-11 is a brilliant design, so brilliant that Leica used many of the XD-11 (and XE-7) features and components in their SLR's. But Minolta missed the marketing boat by not advertising the camera as being the first SLR with a "Program" function for proper exposure. Canon, with the AE-1P, capitalized on the word "Program" and easily became the market leader in sales. I remember that Modern or Popular Photography reviewed the XD-11 and mentioned its Program feature, describing it as the perfect solution for many shooting situations. There's no "P" on the dial, but just set the shutter speed dial to the highest speed and the Rokkor XD lens to the smallest f/stop. The XD-11 will choose a "middle of the road" correct exposure. The other great feature of the XD-11 was the electronic sensor built into the top of the shutter's ultra-smooth release button, which turned on the light meter. The black chrome version is hard to find, but is a real collectible, IMHO.

NotXorc

I also have an XD-11. It was passed down by my father, who was the original purchaser in 1979, and it made a great first camera. I've used mine, more sparingly at times than I should, continuosly since around the mid 90s. I just loaded a roll of Ilford XP-2 Super last night. The only services it has required are new batteries and fresh felt lining to replace the rotted light sealant.

That's a great tip about the "hidden" program mode, I never knew that!
Any suggestions about some MD gems that I should add to my collection? All that I have used are a 55mm normal Rokkor-X 1.4 and an underachieving 28mm /2.8. I think it's time to branch out.

colyn

3 Rokkor-X lens I like including the 50mm F/1.4 PG is the 35mm 2.8, 85mm f/1.7, and 100mm f/2.5.

For a longer reach the 200mm f/3.5 and 300mm f/5.6 are good lens.

NotXorc

Colyn, thanks for the recommendation about the 85 f/1.7. That's a focal length I really like. I misspoke about one of my lenses; it's actually the 50mm f/1.4 Rokkor-X. It has a really nice drawing of OOF areas when used wide open.

I also wish my digital cameras had as good a manual focusing screen as my XD-11 – it's so fun to use.

The "killer" lens in the Rokkor lineup is, IMHO, the 100mm f/2.0.
Years ago, I won a local photo contest with a shot of a caged tiger taken wide-open with that lens. The color and resolution are incredible...as good as any Nikkor or Canon lens.