The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

A

asabet

Thanks for the comments Helen! As you know, I haven't had the 35/1.4 long, but I really enjoy the lens. At f/1.4, the bokeh can be harsh, especially at close focusing distances. The CV lens renders bokeh very nicely at f/2 and up IMO, and the f/1.4 is there for when you need it. I try to avoid certain types of background elements when shooting at f/1.4.

I'm not talking about Sean when I say this, but I think a lot of folks give Cosina an unfair evaluation when considering bokeh characteristics. When a 35mm pre-asph Summilux or even a lowly 40mm Summicron-C demonstrates doubling and other harsh bokeh elements wide open, it is generally overlooked or mentioned as part of the character that keeps the lens from being too clinical. The same characteristics in CV lenses are deemed "bad bokeh".

For example, the "word on the street" is that the CV 40/1.4 has very harsh bokeh. Yet, here are a couple tests showing how it compares to Leica lenses:

1) Roland Ruehl's bokeh test of the CV 40/1.4, which shows nicer bokeh for the CV lens than the Rokkor or Summicron-C at f/2.

2) Jürgen Kook's bokeh test of the CV 40/1.4 against the pre-asph and asph 35mm Summilux lenses. To me, the CV lens shows similar bokeh to the pre-asph Summilux in those comparisons. The pre-asph lux shows the same bright edges and nisen bokeh.

I don't know if Sean provided similar comparisons when he commented on the CV 35/1.4 bokeh, but I'd be surprised if side by side testing showed anything of concern, particularly at f/2 and above.

helenhill

William - That Tango shot is superb... Great Mood Set
Charley- Love the mannequin /reflection shot

Best-H

Z

Zeiss

Sports photography with Leica IIIc :D

Before the game (football).

A

asabet

Beautiful set Stuart. The first is gorgeous, and the third from last also has a wonderful light.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks guys.

Marc -- the Xpan is really something, isn't it? It does its job taking panoramic photos really well, and the lenses are just brilliant. It is a shame it is so limited otherwise (only three slow lenses, 30mm, 45mm and 90mm). If they had just had the foresight to make it Leica M mount and use the same registration (which they could have...no patent restrictions), they would have made it a MUCH more flexible system....who knows, we might have even seen voigtlander panoramic lenses.

N

nei1

Definatly taken with an olympus OM1 or 2,not sure of the lens,think it was a 50mmf1.8,somewhere on the thames near richmond.The car belonged to a friend of mine,a beautiful ford capri from the early 60,s,nothing like the later capri,s.

gero

stewart, I like all a lot, I couldn't discard any except the last that looks like you used flash (and doesn't go with the rest).

the scale of the horses, road on 5 and machine on 6 ...

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Gero -- no flash on the last one -- it is just ice on dark brown seaweed, so it looks very contrasty. It was just a grab shot at the beach.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don, *LOVE* the entire look --- that is the quintessential reason to still shoot silver IMO...

(Of course it might've been even better if you were 1.3x closer :ROTFL:)