The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Lloyd

mamiya 7II 65mm lens.

the hellgate bridge was taken at twilight in my hometown of astoria in NYC. If Im not mistaken it was a 5 minute exposure with provia 100f.

The waterfall shot was a 30 sec exposure I took in the north woods of central park, NYC. fuji velvia 100
Gorgeous, gorgeous both, but that bridge shot simply rocks!! :thumbup:

justin989

Thanks LLoyd, Gary and Cindy for the comments! I love taking long exposures with film, water becomes more and more like glass the longer the exposure.

justin989

Cindy,

Experience definitely has a lot to do with it for sure! There are a lot of factors that come into play, slide film will not behave the same way as negative film as I'm sure you know, so the exposure time with slide film has to be as accurate as possible as the chances of over and underexposure are more prominent. Daytime long exposures and Nighttime long exposures are different animals in their own right.

When I first started to dabble in long exposures, I applied a bracketing method to every shot and in the process, I went through many test roles of film. For example, for nighttime exposures after twilight, Using a slow speed slide film like provia 100f, I would start at 30 sec and gradually increase by incremental f stops (i.e. 30 sec, 1 min, 1:30min, 2min, 2:30min, 3min, 3:30min...etc) until about 10 minutes or so and record those times. From that experience, I learned a lot about how the film behaves with these incremental changes, so when I saw an exposure that I felt worked for me, I would apply that same time for future corresponding exposures under the same conditions, this method was applied when taking the Bridge shot.

For daytime shots, like the waterfall shot, I use a circular ND filter that reduces light transmission by 6 f stops. I set the aperture to f22 and metered normally through my mamiya 7 since it is not TTL, it will not compensate for the filter placed over the lens. That has to be done by the user, so on that particular day which was overcast, my meter read 1/2 sec at ISO 100, I then added 6 f stops to that reading which came out to be 30 sec. (i.e 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30) for an appropriate exposure.

Hope this explanation helped in some way!

cheers

-justin

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy,

Experience definitely has a lot to do with it for sure! There are a lot of factors that come into play, slide film will not behave the same way as negative film as I'm sure you know, so the exposure time with slide film has to be as accurate as possible as the chances of over and underexposure are more prominent. Daytime long exposures and Nighttime long exposures are different animals in their own right.

When I first started to dabble in long exposures, I applied a bracketing method to every shot and in the process, I went through many test roles of film. For example, for nighttime exposures after twilight, Using a slow speed slide film like provia 100f, I would start at 30 sec and gradually increase by incremental f stops (i.e. 30 sec, 1 min, 1:30min, 2min, 2:30min, 3min, 3:30min...etc) until about 10 minutes or so and record those times. From that experience, I learned a lot about how the film behaves with these incremental changes, so when I saw an exposure that I felt worked for me, I would apply that same time for future corresponding exposures under the same conditions, this method was applied when taking the Bridge shot.

For daytime shots, like the waterfall shot, I use a circular ND filter that reduces light transmission by 6 f stops. I set the aperture to f22 and metered normally through my mamiya 7 since it is not TTL, it will not compensate for the filter placed over the lens. That has to be done by the user, so on that particular day which was overcast, my meter read 1/2 sec at ISO 100, I then added 6 f stops to that reading which came out to be 30 sec. (i.e 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30) for an appropriate exposure.

Hope this explanation helped in some way!

cheers

-justin
Thanks, Justin. I use the ND technique to slowing water, but just was not sure how you came up with 5 minutes in the dark. I'm sure you learned a lot from those experiments and I appreciate you sharing it.
I have a Mamiya 7 coming in about a week, and am very excited about it.

bensonga

Winter is upon us here in Alaska (4 inches of fresh snow overnight). Here's a shot from many years ago. The Integrity, locked in winter's icy grip. Nikon F2, Nikkor 35mm f2 non-AI lens, Ilford FP4, Canoscan FS2720.

That mountain in the background is Mt. Susitna....also called "Sleeping Lady".

Gary

M

msglueck

very nice capture. especially the sharpness ist quite stunning for 35mm work.

bensonga

Thanks msqlueck and sizifo! I know from experience it must have been a cold day....anytime we have clear skies in winter here the temps are probably in the single digits (F). That Nikon F2 served me well for many years.

Unfortunately, this whole area along Ship Creek has been "cleaned up" over the past 5 years....all the interesting old boats, barges and run down cannery buildings have been removed to make way for more shipping container storage for the Port of Anchorage and the Alaska Railroad.

Here's one more from a cold winter day....this one with the Pentax 67.

Gary

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Winter is upon us here in Alaska (4 inches of fresh snow overnight). Here's a shot from many years ago. The Integrity, locked in winter's icy grip. Nikon F2, Nikkor 35mm f2 non-AI lens, Ilford FP4, Canoscan FS2720.

That mountain in the background is Mt. Susitna....also called "Sleeping Lady".

Gary

Wonderful shot. It sure looks cold though.

bensonga

A couple more black and white shots. These images were taken in 2008, just after I purchased my first Hasselblad (a life long dream come true). I took a trip to Dawson City in the Yukon Territory in June. Usually, I'm doing this trip on a motorcycle with my wife and friends, but I had hurt my back....so I had to drive the Honda instead. Figured I might as well bring the camera gear along too. :D

Lots of interesting historical buildings in Dawson City and the surrounding areas. The streets are still dirt with wooden boardwalks. Not as many large tour groups here as in other parts of Alaska or the Yukon that I've been. It's a pretty neat place to visit, if you're ever in that part of the world.

I really liked this building. :)

Hasselblad 501CM, 80mm f2.8 Planar, Ilford Delta 100, Epson V750 Pro scan.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

Something is wrong with this picture....it's the 21st century....the digital age....what compels me to post photos in the analog forum?

:confused:

Gary

Cleveland, Ohio, 1994, Nikon F2, 35mm f2 non-AI lens, Fuji Provia, Canoscan 2720, PS CS3 BW conversion

Lloyd

Something is wrong with this picture....it's the 21st century....the digital age....what compels me to post photos in the analog forum?

:confused:

Gary

Cleveland, Ohio, 1994, Nikon F2, 35mm f2 non-AI lens, Fuji Provia, Canoscan 2720, PS CS3 BW conversion
Oh, I don't know... maybe because they're beautiful, and well worth sharing (and appreciated by us, the humble viewer)? Yeah, that just might be it. :thumbup:

Actually, I think it's because art is the thing, not the medium.

bensonga

Lloyd,

You're absolutely right. In this case, it's not the medium that is the message, it's the image itself.

It's so easy to get caught up in the technology...whether analog or digital.

Gary

Anchorage Fur Rendevous Carnival. Nikon F2, 50mm f1.4 non-AIS lens.

Last edited:

Lloyd

Lloyd,

You're absolutely right. In this case, it's not the medium that is the message, it's the image itself.

It's so easy to get caught up in the technology...whether analog or digital.

Gary

Anchorage Fur Rendevous Carnival. Nikon F2, 35mm f2 non-AIS lens.
Bingo!

Nice interaction between the subjects here. Great catch.

bensonga

Another B&W from the Alaska RR yards along Ship Creek here in Anchorage. Hasselblad 501CM, 50mm Distagon, Ilford Delta 100, Epson V750 scan.

I hope I'm in better shape than this old flat bed rail car when I'm finally "retired" from service. :)

Gary