Site Sponsors
Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86
Results 4,251 to 4,298 of 4298

Thread: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Pippa 2017 #3 by chrism229, on Flickr

And once again Flickr has left me bemused by picking a photo I didn't think particularly special for 'Explore':

Four Eyes by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ektar today:

Orchids 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Orchids 1 by chrism229, on Flickr
    Rolleiflex 2.8GX, Rolleinar 1, Ektar 100, Unicolor presskit, Hasselblad X1 scans.

C.
    Flickr.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was concerned that the meter in my Rolleiflex wasn't right, so I used up a film with duplicate exposures, one using the internal meter and one using an external spotmeter. It turns out I was right,and the internal meter underexposes by 1-2 stops, but the funny thing is that the underexposed negatives allow me to pull out more detail in scans. This might be a quirk of the XP2 I was using. Anyway, one of the 'underexposed' negatives:

test film by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shadowcat by chrism229, on Flickr
    Rolleiflex 2.8GX, Rolleinar 1, XP2, HC-110, Hasselblad X1 scan.

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    ...but the funny thing is that the underexposed negatives allow me to pull out more detail in scans. This might be a quirk of the XP2 I was using.
    At least in my experience scanning monochrome film, the scanner is happiest with a negative that's thinner than I'm comfortable with in the darkroom. It's sort of like contact printing in silver vs alt processes - in general you need to optimize development for one or the other, although with pyro development, because of the effects of the stain, you can sometimes get negatives that are decent switch-hitters.

Those scans from Rolleiflex Ektar negatives are lovely! Afraid I've never been able to find a groove scanning color neg - I always end up spending way too much time mucking around in the enormous space of possible adjustments, never quite finding a color balance I'm happy with.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    At least in my experience scanning monochrome film, the scanner is happiest with a negative that's thinner than I'm comfortable with in the darkroom. It's sort of like contact printing in silver vs alt processes - in general you need to optimize development for one or the other, although with pyro development, because of the effects of the stain, you can sometimes get negatives that are decent switch-hitters.

Those scans from Rolleiflex Ektar negatives are lovely! Afraid I've never been able to find a groove scanning color neg - I always end up spending way too much time mucking around in the enormous space of possible adjustments, never quite finding a color balance I'm happy with.
    If by 'thinner' you mean 'flatter' (ie less contrast) I'm in agreement. Chromogenic films are often rather contrasty, so it may be that they don't behave quite as expected with scanning. I'd put it to the test, but I have so much XP2 in the freezer that I ration myself to only occasional dips into the stock of traditional B&W film.
    Ektar is a bit of a pain to scan. The easiest way to get accurate colour is to scan as raw, having used Vuescan to calibrate the orange tint of the film stock, and then invert the negative in PS with the ColorPerfect plug-in. Unfortunately, that means using the Nikon 9000 and I've been spoilt by the speed of the X1, so I simply scan it in the X1 using a home-made preset, then play with temperature and tint in LR until it looks as if it might have originated on earth. One thing I learned from my brief flirtation with developing E6 is that slides are so easy to scan, but given the longer and more complex development, time saved scanning is cancelled out!

Chris

C.

Post Thanks / Like

If by 'thinner' you mean 'flatter' (ie less contrast) I'm in agreement.
    What I meant was "less dense", including a lower DMax. The relationship of that with *print* contrast is complicated, and depends not just on development time but also on the shape of the characteristic curve produced by your film/developer combination, the brightness range of the scene you're photographing, where along the characteristic curve your exposure is placed, and whether you're printing with a fixed contrast grade or selecting paper contrast (or processing approach for a scan) to "stretch" the negative's density scale to fit the maximum achievable density range of the paper (or paper + inkset, for inkjet output).

Thanks for the extra details on your approach with color neg. I've tinkered with ColorPerfect and VueScan raw a bit, but alas haven't mastered it. Probably worth some additional effort to see whether I can get that under control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pippa 2017 #4 by chrism229, on Flickr
    Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor-M 450mm/f9, Impact EX-100A strobe, Ilford HP5+, ISO 640, Diafine, Epson V850 scan.

I see it's time to filter my Diafine solutions again.

C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I discovered that XP2 could be processed in B&W chemicals (I still get people who assure me this isn't possible) with very fine grain I bought an awful lot of it for the freezer. I have recently begun to experiment with abusing it in the ways that standard silver halide films can be pushed and pulled, just to see if it stands up to it. So for a starting point I exposed a roll at EI 200, and cut the processing time in half, and wandered about the house taking photos of the relatively dark interior with a bright window in the frame. I just wanted to see if I could get a reasonable image in both areas. This is the kind of thing I got:

Experiments in Pull Processing 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

On scanning this negative the histogram was showing it 1-2 stops underexposed, so I should try again at EI 100, or maybe just a bit longer in the developer. The other thing I'd like to do is find out of pushing it is possible without excessive grain. I know that XP2 goes very grainy in Diafine and in Qualls' monobath and I suspect I'll find I can get one stop but probably not two extra out of it before it gets too crunchy, but you don't know unless you try!
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Back to 35mm for some orchids.

Orchids 5 by chrism229, on Flickr

Orchids 4 by chrism229, on Flickr

Orchids 3 by chrism229, on Flickr

The last one is from a full resolution .fff scan, and shows just how much detail there is in these tiny ( ) negatives!

Chris
    Flickr.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought I'd try increasing development time of XP2 in HC-110 to shift the histograms of my scans towards the middle. This is ten minutes in 1+49 rather than the usual eight.

The little Downy Woodpecker has a very regular sort of mind:

Woodpecker patterns by chrism229, on Flickr

and some pretty patterns:

Snow needles by chrism229, on Flickr
    Both H500c, Sonnar 150/4, XP2, HC-110, X1 scans.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As vaguely promised a week or two ago, I have continued to abuse XP2. Today's effort was to expose it at 1600 and guess the development time, and since yesterday, I used 10 minutes for ISO400, I used the rule of thumb that a 1/3 increase in time compensates for 1 stop of underexposure, and developed this for 18 minutes in 1+49 HC-110. I am amazed at the lack of grain!

Experiment in Push Processing 4 by chrism229, on Flickr

Experiment in Push Processing 3 by chrism229, on Flickr

It looks like 3200 might be possible if I can bring myself to sit and agitate each minute for 24 minutes!

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I went and did it. XP2 Super at 3200, developed in HC-110 1+49 for 24 minutes. No grain!

Experiment in Push Processing 5 by chrism229, on Flickr

If you click on the link there's a 4096x4096 85% JPEG. Click on that to see at 100% All this effort to make a file that could have come out of the Monochrom!

Chris
    Flickr.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I went and did it. XP2 Super at 3200, developed in HC-110 1+49 for 24 minutes. No grain!

Experiment in Push Processing 5 by chrism229, on Flickr

If you click on the link there's a 4096x4096 85% JPEG. Click on that to see at 100% All this effort to make a file that could have come out of the Monochrom!

Chris
    That's very impressive. Apparently I have to start doing my own processing. I'm not sure if HC-110 is available around here though. Do you think this will work equally good with other developers? I believe Ilford can be found in stock here, although not their whole range.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen,
    Ilford Ilfotec-HC is almost the same, and Legacy Pro make L-110 which is said to be the same but without the thickening to make the concentrate into a syrup.
    I have developed XP2 in Rodinal 1+100 for one hour, with six inversions at the start and again at 30 minutes. Expose at EI 200 for best results, and it will be sharp and smooth.
    I've used Diafine, but the result is too grainy in 35mm, but tolerable in 120. 3+3 minutes will do it.
    When I was mixing up Quall's monobath I tried it in there but it's a bit gritty and there's no advantage in XP2 over, say, HP5 if you're getting gritty pictures.
    Apart from the 1 stop pull for the Rodinal semi-stand, I haven't tried any other developers at other speeds except for the HC-110. I'm amazed at the smoothness in a film pushed three stops. 3200 has higher contrast, but what doesn't at 3200? The 1600 is a candidate for regular use. I started a thread on this at APUG, and there has been discussion about the longevity of these negatives and whether a dip in C-41 stabiliser after fixing would be better than straight PhotoFlo. It's the old thing about there being little or no silver in the film, and silver inhibits fungi, so the stabiliser contains one of the imidazole anti-fungal drugs that one uses for yeast infections (I think I read it's miconazole - Monistat in a drugstore). I've got XP2 negatives developed this way three years ago that were treated with PhotoFlo alone and there's no sign of mould.
    Today I'm trying to finish a roll of 35mm XP2 at 3200 just to see what that looks like. Unfortunately we have a blizzard, so it will probably be all the usual suspects as subjects.

C.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen,
    Ilford Ilfotec-HC is almost the same, and Legacy Pro make L-110 which is said to be the same but without the thickening to make the concentrate into a syrup.
    I have developed XP2 in Rodinal 1+100 for one hour, with six inversions at the start and again at 30 minutes. Expose at EI 200 for best results, and it will be sharp and smooth.
    I've used Diafine, but the result is too grainy in 35mm, but tolerable in 120. 3+3 minutes will do it.
    When I was mixing up Quall's monobath I tried it in there but it's a bit gritty and there's no advantage in XP2 over, say, HP5 if you're getting gritty pictures.
    Apart from the 1 stop pull for the Rodinal semi-stand, I haven't tried any other developers at other speeds except for the HC-110. I'm amazed at the smoothness in a film pushed three stops. 3200 has higher contrast, but what doesn't at 3200? The 1600 is a candidate for regular use. I started a thread on this at APUG, and there has been discussion about the longevity of these negatives and whether a dip in C-41 stabiliser after fixing would be better than straight PhotoFlo. It's the old thing about there being little or no silver in the film, and silver inhibits fungi, so the stabiliser contains one of the imidazole anti-fungal drugs that one uses for yeast infections (I think I read it's miconazole - Monistat in a drugstore). I've got XP2 negatives developed this way three years ago that were treated with PhotoFlo alone and there's no sign of mould.
    Today I'm trying to finish a roll of 35mm XP2 at 3200 just to see what that looks like. Unfortunately we have a blizzard, so it will probably be all the usual suspects as subjects.

C.
    Thank you for the explanation. I haven't done wet processing in many years... a couple of decades actually, so this may be beyond my abilities. But it's just a question of time now. I would prefer not to have to rely on labs for my processing, although I'll be trying out a couple of new ones in Bangkok for my next batch of photos. I'll check out the thread on APUG as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've just hung up the 35mm XP2 to dry, and I see a problem. The same thing happened with the 120 film - some of the frames are very thin and are probably unusable. When it happened with the 120 film, I assumed that since some were fine, and some were thin, that perhaps the shutter in my ancient Sonnar 150/4 wasn't working at some speeds (they were taken on a tripod at speeds like 1/8 and 1/4 which I probably hadn't used before). But this 35mm film has just come out of an F6 which hasn't had any problems at all and it's showing the same thing. Is it possible that the film has a threshold below which it won't register much of anything? There were no problems with the films going on the Hewes reels and no indication that the film had been in contact with itself or anything of that sort.
    So if it's going to be hit or miss I can't recommend 3200. When it's dry, I'll scan and show any decent ones simply to assess any graininess in the smaller format, but in future I'll limit myself to 1600 which didn't have that problem at all.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the 35mm XP2 at 3200. I don't care for the texture very much - it looks like 3200!

Experiment in Push Processing 9 by chrism229, on Flickr

Experiment in Push Processing 7 by chrism229, on Flickr

I'll stick with 1600 for pushing 120 film, and I'll have to find out if the 35mm will tolerate 1600 or whether that ought to be limited to 800.

Chris
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I've come to the end of my experiments, with ISO 800 now completed. It seems it's easy to pull XP2, and to push to 800 and 1600. 3200 is hit and miss as being a half-stop out in the exposure ruins the picture. Here's an example of ISO 800, using HC-110 1+49, for 13.5 minutes:

Experiments in Push Processing 12 by chrism229, on Flickr

C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rolleiflex 2.8GX, XP2 Super @400, HC-110, 1+49, 10 minutes, X1 scans:

Silly Windchime by chrism229, on Flickr

Willow by chrism229, on Flickr

STOP by chrism229, on Flickr

C.

Post Thanks / Like

Kodachrome 64

Last edited by Abstraction; 27th March 2017 at 06:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's snowing quite a bit today, so I took the Pen F out for a bit, but not the Rolleiflex. I took my 48 pictures and scanned about half of them, and I was surprised to see the presentable ones were from the shots taken indoors. I may add some outdoors ones tomorrow. The XP2 holds up well in the little half-frame negatives, giving smoother results than I've had with other films.

Lladro by chrism229, on Flickr

Shaving by chrism229, on Flickr

Baby Oranges by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One paper copy.
    Paper Kodak Polycontrast in Dektol.
    Mamiya C330s 105mmDS. Hp5+ in Emofin.

[IMG]rostfrei by Trygve Bjerk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trygve

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus Pen Festival, Night Prowler Edition

Pen FT / 40/1.4 Zuiko / TX

Pen D / TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One crop from a paperprint. Old exhausted developer (10 year old opened bottle). The stripes are from my agitation with the tray.
    Camera Mamiya C220 lens 105mmDS with yellow/green filter. Film FP4 in HC-110.

[IMG]Old chemistry by Trygve Bjerk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trygve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice! Like tiger stripes.

Some of our snow melted a bit today, leaving thick ice trails down the windows:

Frozen glass by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Realising just how much Rodinal I have stuffed into the back of the chemistry fridge, I decided I had better start using it up, so I did today's roll of Pan F in it at 11 minutes in 1+ 50.

Willow by chrism229, on Flickr

Phoenix by chrism229, on Flickr

Ice Floes by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rolleiflex 2.8GX, HP5+, Rodinal 1+50, X1 scans:

Red Pines by chrism229, on Flickr

Anna Swan by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rolleiflex 2.8GX, Pan F+, Rodinal, X1 scan:

Aged 34 years by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rolleiflex 2.8GX, XP2, HC-110, X1 scan:

Hannah & Tammy by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Polaroid SLR670a

Enjoy,
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

From the Dept. of Small Square Negatives

Taxona/37.5mm Tessar/TX

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Polaroid SLR670a

Polaroid SX-70

Polaroid SX-70

Having fun...

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't given the 645n any love lately (150-300mm, Fuji Pro400H, Unicolor presskit, X1 scans):

Orchids by chrism229, on Flickr

Orchids by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Every so often, a selfie is essential ...

Impossible Project I-1

enjoy!
    G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Portra 160 today:

Cape John by chrism229, on Flickr

Cape John by chrism229, on Flickr

Cape John sandstone by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought an OM2n a couple of years ago and never got around to playing with it. I was so jealous of my brother's OM1 back in the early seventies, and I'm beginning to remember why. Those microprisms make focusing so easy for old eyes!

50/1.4, XP2, HC-110, X1:

Orchid by chrism229, on Flickr

Dobson's Creek by chrism229, on Flickr

Malagash beach by chrism229, on Flickr

I'm going for my last opera weekend in Toronto next week, and I'm thinking I shall take this little beauty just for fun.

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got up at 6.30am and opened the curtains to find some mist on the river.

Pentax K2, 50mm/f1.2, Fuji Neopan 400, Rodinal, X1 scan:

Mist 6.30am by chrism229, on Flickr

C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OM2n, 50/1.4 (first), 28/2 (rest), Portra 160, Unicolor presskit, X1 scans:

Red Right Return by chrism229, on Flickr

Season starts tomorrow by chrism229, on Flickr

Bayhead by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OM-2n, 28/2, Pan F @25, Rodinal, X1 scan:

Brule Point by chrism229, on Flick

Abandoned house by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, enjoying your production with the Olympus. They seem to have a certain presence which really makes them stand out.
    All the best,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lith Print from Pentax 67II, 45mm.
    Kodak polycontrast paper and Kodalith developer.

[IMG]Lith8mai17 by Trygve Bjerk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trygve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OM-2n, 28/2, XP2, HC-110, X1 scans:

Gargoyle by chrism229, on Flickr

Flatiron 3 by chrism229, on Flickr

Flatiron 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OM-2n, 28/2, XP2, HC-110, X1 scan:

Pineapple by chrism229, on Flickr

OM-2n, 85/2, XP2, HC-110, X1 scans:

Lily 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Lily 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The urge to experiment is upon me again. Running low on HC-110, but with several bottles of Rodinal equivalent in the fridge, I decided it was time to figure out XP2 in Rodinal. I know I can get great results if I expose at ISO200 and develop in 1+100 Rodinal for one hour, but what about something quicker? Looking around I found a blog with examples of ISO200 in Rodinal 1+50 for 9 minutes (here) so I figured by halving the exposure for ISO400 I ought to increase the development by one third, ie 12 minutes. Well, I got a set of rather low contrast negatives, very suitable for scanning, but not so easy for wet prints. It needs more time, but that gets boring. I might try 1+25 for nine minutes next. Curiously, the film lost its characteristic purple base after being developed this way, which would make wet printing simpler.

Pentax SF1n, 50/1.4, X1 scans:

Spanish Dancer 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Spanish Dancer 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chair by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

New York City

OM-1 / 50/1.8 / XP2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pentax SF1n, 28mm/2.8, Agfa Vista 400, Unicolor presskit, X1 scan:

Barrachois driftwood by chrism229, on Flickr

Same but 100/2.8 Macro:

Magnolia by chrism229, on Flickr

C.
    Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Print with selfmade developer. (ParaLith -Paracetamol/Ascorbic Acid/Sodium Carbonate)
    Paper Kodak Polycontrast III
    Ilford Delta 100, Hasselblad C/M 500, 100mm.

[IMG]PolyPLith by Trygve Bjerk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trygve