The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

T

tetsrfun

FWIW and related to the scan thread. Hand held shot of church door in Santa Fe and crop of door panel. Tri-X, Rodinal, Epson 750. I was surprised that non-pro process and scan did this well.

Steve

Last edited:
T

tokengirl

Went for a walk downtown today with the Canon EOS 630 loaded with Neopan Acros & Sigma 50mm. This has been my least-used lens, but I think I'm going to start using it more often. I am typically more of a wide angle person, so getting used to this field of view is interesting.

I followed this guy for almost 20 minutes waiting for that "decisive moment", but apparently his pants can defy gravity.

This lady was having some difficulty locating something in what I like to call The Black Hole, more commonly referred to as a purse. Perhaps her keys?

A pause in the walk for some play (this is not my Weimy).

These pups were waiting patiently for their masters to finish their lunch.

When I got home I still had a couple of shots left for Jasmine. Her age is starting to show a little with her white facial hair.

m_driscoll

Steep curves; learning curves, that is: 120 B&W film, bathroom developing and scanning. A lot of variable to strain an aging brain. :>) First efforts from which among other lessons learned are: don't rewind film against the dark slide, the agitation protocol does affect results and dust is a PITA. (Santa Fe, Tetons, and the less photographed part of Mormon Row, JH, Wy.)
Steve
Steve, it gets easier quickly, and your results look worth the effort! I especially like the last one.
Steve,
Very nice results from your first efforts and what beautiful subjects to photograph.
Steve, They look good. My favorite is the first one. Keep them coming!
Steve:+1, +1, +1. Impressive. I also like the simplicity of the last one and it's detail.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Absolutely stunning.
Went for a walk downtown today with the Canon EOS 630 loaded with Neopan Acros & Sigma 50mm. This has been my least-used lens, but I think I'm going to start using it more often. I am typically more of a wide angle person, so getting used to this field of view is interesting.

I followed this guy for almost 20 minutes waiting for that "decisive moment", but apparently his pants can defy gravity.

This lady was having some difficulty locating something in what I like to call The Black Hole, more commonly referred to as a purse. Perhaps her keys?

A pause in the walk for some play (this is not my Weimy).

When I got home I still had a couple of shots left for Jasmine. Her age is starting to show a little with her white facial hair.
Claire: You get some amazing pictures out of everything you pick up! Why is it the smallest dogs always think they're the toughest? Wonderful IQ and consistent tonality. :salute:

Cheers, Matt

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

The little "tough guy" looks like he is challenging you.
Jasmine is still pretty.
The whole set is just great.

mathomas

Solo

Nice shot. I know it's not the main subject, but I love the bokeh-abstracted people in the background. It just occurred to me, as a sometime painter, that this is the effect that painters should strive for (and many attain), when including people as accessories in their city paintings.

Here's an example of one of my own "accessory" figure studies, to make what I'm saying concrete:

After studying your background figures, it seems that I concentrate too much on separate legs, when just a downward-facing pointy triangle would do in many cases. I'll keep this in mind when I get back to painting regularly.

T

tetsrfun

More home "cooked" B & W. Windy day and the bokeh is weird but getting faster loading the reels.

Steve

Last edited:

Scott G

Nice shot. I know it's not the main subject, but I love the bokeh-abstracted people in the background. It just occurred to me, as a sometime painter, that this is the effect that painters should strive for (and many attain), when including people as accessories in their city paintings.

Here's an example of one of my own "accessory" figure studies, to make what I'm saying concrete:

After studying your background figures, it seems that I concentrate too much on separate legs, when just a downward-facing pointy triangle would do in many cases. I'll keep this in mind when I get back to painting regularly.

I really envy your painting ability, those are quite nice. My ability is limited to stick figures with crayons :D

m_driscoll

Hard to keep up, as usual.

Scott:
Seriously good photographs.
1. The first set has a very unique IQ. Hasse with ___ film? There's an "hdr" painterly quality to them. Planes of color with depth in the images, but not "3-dimensional" in a natural sense. Edward Hopper. :thumbup:
2. The second photo with the Holga's very cool. :thumbup:
3.The third set looks like you're back with the Hasse, but the IQ's different then the first set. More "realistic". Excellent! :thumbup:

Mike:
1. Cool photographs of the horn player. "Dude can blow, Nice Grab" (1). :thumbup:
2. Very good watercolor studies! Admirable talent. Good analysis of the people. Your study shows that it's a function of perspective distance, scale, and detail. The sketches with both types of legs have more perceived depth. The triangular legs look naturally farther away I, however, draw the triangular legs because they're easier! :thumbup: :lecture:

(1) Steve, 2 days ago, The GetDPI Photography Forums > Analog Camera Forum > Analog Cameras > More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Cheers, Matt

Scott G

Hard to keep up, as usual.

Scott:
Seriously good photographs.
1. The first set has a very unique IQ. Hasse with ___ film? There's an "hdr" painterly quality to them. Planes of color with depth in the images, but not "3-dimensional" in a natural sense. Edward Hopper. :thumbup:
2. The second photo with the Holga's very cool. :thumbup:
3.The third set looks like you're back with the Hasse, but the IQ's different then the first set. More "realistic". Excellent! :thumbup:

Matt,

Interesting observation, I can see what you are saying. Unfortunately I don't know the answer...they were all on the same film (Portra 400 NC) and developed at the same time by the same knucklehead (me). The only difference is the lens -- the night shots were with the 80mm Planar, and the horn player and last set were with the 150mm Sonnar.