The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

m_driscoll

Hard to keep up, as usual.

Scott:
Seriously good photographs.
1. The first set has a very unique IQ. Hasse with ___ film? There's an "hdr" painterly quality to them. Planes of color with depth in the images, but not "3-dimensional" in a natural sense. Edward Hopper. :thumbup:
2. The second photo with the Holga's very cool. :thumbup:
3.The third set looks like you're back with the Hasse, but the IQ's different then the first set. More "realistic". Excellent! :thumbup:

Matt,

Interesting observation, I can see what you are saying. Unfortunately I don't know the answer...they were all on the same film (Portra 400 NC) and developed at the same time by the same knucklehead (me). The only difference is the lens -- the night shots were with the 80mm Planar, and the horn player and last set were with the 150mm Sonnar.
Scott: Oopps. i blew it. The horn Player was your's, not Mike's.

You developed the film yourself? Knucklehead cool! Maybe it's just a difference in the way the lens draws at night? I would have bet that it was different film. PP essentially the same? Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

scho

Testing a new 6x9 (Shen Hao TFC69-A) with some 120 Rollei ATP 1.1. Just a still life of some onions. I love the camera, but this film is a nightmare to handle and flatten after processing and drying. I tried reverse rolling on a plastic reel, but even after two days it still coils up like a snake. Any tips for dealing with unruly film like this? No problems with TMAX, but I like the grainless high accutance ATP negs.

Lars

Testing a new 6x9 (Shen Hao TFC69-A) with some 120 Rollei ATP 1.1. Just a still life of some onions. I love the camera, but this film is a nightmare to handle and flatten after processing and drying. I tried reverse rolling on a plastic reel, but even after two days it still coils up like a snake. Any tips for dealing with unruly film like this? No problems with TMAX, but I like the grainless high accutance ATP negs.

Look into wetmounting when scanning. on a glass flatbed it's really easy. Most of the curl goes away after a few months if stored flat.

scho

Look into wetmounting when scanning. on a glass flatbed it's really easy. Most of the curl goes away after a few months if stored flat.
Thanks Lars. I may check out the wet mounting possibilities. The Rollie ATP 1.1 is the only film that is giving me curling problems after processing. Almost as bad as trying to put bait in a mousetrap w/o snapping your fingers when loading negs into the Nikon glass carrier.:rolleyes: Ambient humidity is also getting low now so that may also aggravate the curling problem after drying. I thought that this Rollei marketing statement was a real joke:

"Non-curling coating for the improvement of film flatness"

mathomas

Hard to keep up, as usual.

... clip ...

Mike:
1. ...clip...
2. Very good watercolor studies! Admirable talent. Good analysis of the people. Your study shows that it's a function of perspective distance, scale, and detail. The sketches with both types of legs have more perceived depth. The triangular legs look naturally farther away I, however, draw the triangular legs because they're easier! :thumbup: :lecture:

(1) Steve, 2 days ago, The GetDPI Photography Forums > Analog Camera Forum > Analog Cameras > More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Thanks, Matt. I tend to only do watercolor or photography at any given time. Right now I'm in photography mode. I was just happy that I made this connection between bokeh-abstracted figures and painting.

mathomas

A few from an old Minolta SRT-101 I bought from a colleague. I bought it sight unseen via the mail. When I got it it was super-grungy (and even after a lot of cleaning, it still is). It was interesting to shoot this old SLR, because it told me I definitely prefer (or have gotten used to) the handling/focusing of a rangefinder. Still, this camera was fun to shoot and had the cool Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 mounted.

Film is Efke 25 (my first time with the really slow stuff).
Developed in Adonal (like Rodinal), 1:100, 1hr stand.

I seem to have overexposed a lot of the shots. Half of the negs were as dense as a neutron star. I usually do much better at exposure than that, so I'm going to blame the camera and claim slow shutter speeds :). Anyway, I've read around that Efke 25 is not tolerant of overexposure, so it was a perfect storm. These were some of the few I could save.

T

tokengirl

Mommy... you got ANOTHER new camera??? I want a cookie or I'm telling.

Xpan w/45mm lens, Neopan 1600 in Rodinal 1:25