The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
hello, I've been trying film (I have been doing digital-only for about 5 years) so: bought Neopan 100 (the only b&w here).

Please tell me what you think as I have no idea what I am doing.

developed in the local shop & I scanned it in a flatbed hp g4050.

shot with R9& 15/2.8
Hi gero,
It is nice to see you here. I am no expert, but when I scan my film (which I also get developed locally), I aim for the flattest scan and widest range of tones. I then can manipulate the curve/levels, etc. in post. I think you are just a little too contrasty and it is hard to see the people in the photo....maybe others will disagree.

Lars

Hi gero,
It is nice to see you here. I am no expert, but when I scan my film (which I also get developed locally), I aim for the flattest scan and widest range of tones. I then can manipulate the curve/levels, etc. in post. I think you are just a little too contrasty and it is hard to see the people in the photo....maybe others will disagree.
Cindy is quite right. A good negative scan fills the entire histogram without clipping at either end - flat scan, wide range of tones.

gero

thank you Cindy & Lars, when they developed in the shop they also scanned a jpeg that looks more like you are saying and also sharper.

here it is to compair:

sizifo

There was some discussion in the M9 section as to why people should be trying to emulate the look of B&W film with digital. Well... here's the answer. God these are beautiful.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks very much! There is definitely something about the tonality of black and white film that is beautiful and extremely hard to reproduce. I wish I knew how to replicate it with digital -- I am sure there is a way, but nothing I have found so far has worked as well or as consistently as simply loading a roll of Acros.

T

turbo

I have the most fun getting up close and personal in the land of bugs. Ugh!

Pentax MX 100mm f4 Macro-Bellows Lens, Kodachrome 64.
Minolta Dual Scan II, full slide scans.

Lloyd

I have the most fun getting up close and personal in the land of bugs. Ugh!

Pentax MX 100mm f4 Macro-Bellows Lens, Kodachrome 64.
Minolta Dual Scan II, full slide scans.
Stunning images. Top notch stuff!

(I'm sure gonna miss Kodachrome! Guess if I (and lots of other folks) was still shooting it, it wouldn't have gone away, eh?)

T

turbo

Thanks Lloyd. I guess mama (Great Yellow Father?) took the Kodachrome away.
The only color films I use in 35mm are Kodachrome and Velvia 50, and even the Velvia I now only use in MF cameras. Looks like my 35s are going to become B&W machines until that too disappears.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's been awhile...time for some more analog shots.
These are terrific. I especially like the house (church?) by the lake and the man seated w/reflection. The landscape is just so, well, barren! Still, I think if you spend enough time outside in almost any natural area, it works on you. It certainly has a distinctive look.

I've loaded my first roll of Acros into the Rollei, largely because of your example. Fingers crossed! (which oddly enough is a standard inner feeling every time I shoot film these days.)

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Tim! It is a church actually. The landscape here can be barren, but it is gorgeous. Have you any results from the Acros yet? I hope it is working well for you.

Here are a few from yesterday. I shot 3 rolls of 120 and a few digital shots. Two rolls were black and white. The girl is the barista at my local coffee shop -- I think she has a really interesting look.

The first two are the 110/2, the second two are the 50/2.8 FE.

Lloyd

Thanks Tim! It is a church actually. The landscape here can be barren, but it is gorgeous. Have you any results from the Acros yet? I hope it is working well for you.

Here are a few from yesterday. I shot 3 rolls of 120 and a few digital shots. Two rolls were black and white. The girl is the barista at my local coffee shop -- I think she has a really interesting look.

The first two are the 110/2, the second two are the 50/2.8 FE.
Nice, smooth tones, Stuart. Good stuff... I particularly like these last two.